Unsafe driving while filming ScrapYard Wars

WeeemRCB
Just now, Drak3 said:

I know a person that can drive perfectly well with a phone in their hands if they have a competent copilot instructing them on how fast to go and when to turn (and how much). Then again, he also is a former tank driver, so not having eyes on the road and going up to 30MPH whilst driving a 40+ ton behemoth is kind of a required skill that doesn't just go away.

That said, the second anyone pulls out a phone and they're not in park, is the second that I decide not to ride with them again. I know most people aren't frickin tank drivers.

It may seem like it, but you're wrong. He can't "drive perfectly". Because, is his copilot going to be able to say "turn left 30 degrees 0.5 seconds ago to avoid the cyclist you already ran over that came out of nowhere"?

Granted, a more highly skilled driver will be able to do wonders, but I don't care if you're Mario Andretti, sooner or later, you'll miss something.

Just now, rn8686 said:

Probably would, but much safer ones too (Look what happened in their tests, I dont see much of a difference if your phone is hand free or using car controls). 

Their test never compared hands free vs talking to someone sitting physically in the car. That would be an interesting comparison to see if talking at all is dangerous. Though, frankly, that would be an impossible law to enforce, if talking to your passenger was dangerous enough to make illegal.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Also the complete lack of rear passenger seat belts was pretty disturbing @LinusTech Kids look up to you guys, please try to set a good example.

"You wouldn't worry so much what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do" -Eleanor Roosevelt 

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

It may seem like it, but you're wrong. He can't "drive perfectly". Because, is his copilot going to be able to say "turn left 30 degrees 0.5 seconds ago to avoid the cyclist you already ran over that came out of nowhere"?

Granted, a more highly skilled driver will be able to do wonders, but I don't care if you're Mario Andretti, sooner or later, you'll miss something.

Their test never compared hands free vs talking to someone sitting physically in the car. That would be an interesting comparison to see if talking at all is dangerous. Though, frankly, that would be an impossible law to enforce, if talking to your passenger was dangerous enough to make illegal.

Holding a phone isnt the issue its the conversation and how distracting it is. A lot of people drive with one hand just in general. 

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

Just now, Matthew Grimes said:

Also the complete lack of rear passenger seat belts was pretty disturbing @LinusTech Kids look up to you guys, please try to set a good example.

Can you point to a specific example where they weren't wearing their seatbelt?

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 minute ago, MadyTehWolfie said:

Holding a phone isnt the issue its the conversation and how distracting it is. A lot of people drive with one hand just in general. 

True, though without a comparison of phone talking vs in person talking, it's difficult to draw a more specific conclusion.

Also, holding a phone and actively using it requires significantly more concentration then simply resting your unused hand on your lap (or just holding a phone that's turned off).

I'm not going to go through 2 hours of footage to give you notes on when and where and what time, etc. Watch SYW5. It's there. Linus and Kyle both do it.

"You wouldn't worry so much what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do" -Eleanor Roosevelt 

I'm not going to go through 2 hours of footage to give you notes on when and where and what time, etc. Watch SYW5. It's there. Linus and Kyle both do it.

I watched the first two episodes and didn't notice anyone not wearing a seatbelt.

Are you certain that it's not simply a seatbelt that only covers the waist?

Just now, dalekphalm said:

I watched the first two episodes and didn't notice anyone not wearing a seatbelt.

Are you certain that it's not simply a seatbelt that only covers the waist?

Name a car made in the last twenty years that only has lap belts. Give me a break dude.

Name a car made in the last twenty years that only has lap belts. Give me a break dude.

Well, on a technicality, 99.9% of them, with the center rear seat, but we both know that's not the seat they were using.

It's also possible they simply wrapped the upper strap around their back to give themselves greater mobility - it makes the seatbelt more comfortable during regular use, but lessens the effectiveness during an accident (and makes it potentially more dangerous or hurt more).

On 03/06/2017 at 2:57 PM, dalekphalm said:

Can you tell me when exactly Luke was using his phone? Which episode and what approximate time-stamp?

If he was just picking it up to glance at the screen, that's not the worst, but if he's actually typing touching the screen, texting, emailing, whatever, that's no good at all.

From what I remember, towards the end of episode 1 and fairly often during the first half of episode 2.

The phone is mostly out of shot, but at one point while steering you can clearly see it in his hand.

It doesn't look like texting or reading as the glances are quick - so it's more likely satnav use in which case it should be up on the dash to minimise the time it takes to move the eyes, see the image then back to the road and surroundings.

As a biker I see it all the time. The number of people that think that they can't be seen texting or reading but the constant glancing at their crotch or door card makes it so obvious. The weaving down the road is also a pretty obvious giveaway ;):)

----------------------------
        Weem

On 04/06/2017 at 5:15 AM, aisle9 said:

I'd be lying if I said that most of my time at traffic lights isn't spent on my phone. If I'm stopped anyway, who cares?

Everyone behind you ;)

So many times I've seen a queue of traffic sitting at a green light because the person front of the stopped cars is busy reading their phone ....

I've seen people miss complete traffic light rotations and then sheepishly roll up to the (again) red after they realise there's no cars in front of them :D

Weem

Perhaps if Linus was in the passenger seat ... they could hold hands xD

Weem

I text and drive when I'm omw from work sometimes but not in traffic, in the North of Sweden we have straight roads that goes on for 50+ Miles with nothing but trees, yes i can hit an moose or an raindeer. (we are really few ppl in the north) then again I now have 15 years behind the wheels various vehicles with zero accidents(on an side note I also have licence for strv 121-122/ leopard 1-2 Swedish version and 18wheelers)

1 hour ago, pr0ny said:

I I now have 15 years behind the wheels various vehicles with zero accidents()

doesn't matter, still dangerous to you and any others that may be around. 

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

1 hour ago, pr0ny said:

I text and drive when I'm omw from work sometimes but not in traffic, in the North of Sweden we have straight roads that goes on for 50+ Miles with nothing but trees, yes i can hit an moose or an raindeer. (we are really few ppl in the north) then again I now have 15 years behind the wheels various vehicles with zero accidents(on an side note I also have licence for strv 121-122/ leopard 1-2 Swedish version and 18wheelers)

Until there is a motorbike coming from the other direction which you didn't see and you hit it because you swerved onto the other lane.

PC: Case: Cooler Master CM690 II - PSU: Cooler Master G650M - RAM: Transcend 4x 8Gb DDR3 1333Mhz - MoBo: Gigabyte Z87x-D3H - CPU: i5 4670K @ 4.5Ghz - GPU: MSI GTX1060 ARMOR OC - Hard disks: 4x 500Gb Seagate enterprise in RAID 0 - SSD: Crucial M4 128Gb

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S6

On 03/06/2017 at 9:28 PM, yathis said:

I love the justification buddy does. "Well if hes stopped at a light or just glancing at it" Bullshit

Its still illegal buddy.

This fucking shit costs lives!

Of course I don't know what the rules are where you life. But here in the Netherlands. If you are standing still it's okay. Glancing at it while driving is still illegal tho

27 minutes ago, NLD1st said:

Of course I don't know what the rules are where you life. But here in the Netherlands. If you are standing still it's okay. Glancing at it while driving is still illegal tho

i agree. if you are standing at a red light or whatever it's ok in the Netherlands as far as i know. 

She/Her

3 hours ago, spwath said:

doesn't matter, still dangerous to you and any others that may be around. 

it's indeed dangerous to my self, I choose to take that risk. I do not pose an risk to anyone else when I'm alone on the road tho

Valid points in this thread, if LMG won't listen just throw the video links to the relevant police department.  As someone who has lost friends to drivers on the FUCKING phone, punish them all, there is ZERO excuse.

Also, keep both fucking hands on the fucking steering wheel.  

Untitled.png

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

This is disappointing from LMG

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

48 minutes ago, Yoinkerman said:

This is disappointing from LMG

I think (hope) it was just bad planning.

My g/f and I did a USA driving tour a couple years ago from Vancouver down to LA (then across to Zion) and before we left I got a Breffo Spiderpodium phone holder (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Breffo-Spiderpodium-Flexible-Holder-Samsung/dp/B003O1V5CY) to use in the rentals we had.

It's a brilliant wee thing, hooks just about anywhere in the car and took zero space in our flight luggage.

We still use it in our daily driver here with no signs of it giving up.

Weem

I drive a basic K11 Micra, obviously own a phone, no handsfree nothing, just ignore the thing until I am at my destination with the vehicle parked.   I just do not understand the arrogance/ignorance shown by people who cannot leave the fucking phone for the duration of their trip, or pull over and park the vehicle safely before taking a call.

As I've said up above, I have been to funerals of my friends due to idiots who are "so sorry" after their oh so bloody important phone call meant an RTA.

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

Luke is a pro tho, plus he is handsome, so we can all let him slide.