Unsafe driving while filming ScrapYard Wars

WeeemRCB

if im driving somewhere new and i dont know where im going, you bet your ass im gonna have my phone with gps active.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

17 hours ago, pr0ny said:

it's indeed dangerous to my self, I choose to take that risk. I do not pose an risk to anyone else when I'm alone on the road tho

How do you know if you are alone on the road? You never know if there is a car coming around the corner or from that dirt path after it. Just don't do it. Remember when you crash there is gonna be ambulance personnel aswell as police etc. They all have to be paid by the government so you are still affecting tax payers.

PC: Case: Cooler Master CM690 II - PSU: Cooler Master G650M - RAM: Transcend 4x 8Gb DDR3 1333Mhz - MoBo: Gigabyte Z87x-D3H - CPU: i5 4670K @ 4.5Ghz - GPU: MSI GTX1060 ARMOR OC - Hard disks: 4x 500Gb Seagate enterprise in RAID 0 - SSD: Crucial M4 128Gb

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S6

3 hours ago, Tsuki said:

if im driving somewhere new and i dont know where im going, you bet your ass im gonna have my phone with gps active.

No problem with that. Just mount it on a phone mount.

PC: Case: Cooler Master CM690 II - PSU: Cooler Master G650M - RAM: Transcend 4x 8Gb DDR3 1333Mhz - MoBo: Gigabyte Z87x-D3H - CPU: i5 4670K @ 4.5Ghz - GPU: MSI GTX1060 ARMOR OC - Hard disks: 4x 500Gb Seagate enterprise in RAID 0 - SSD: Crucial M4 128Gb

32 minutes ago, LUUD18 said:

No problem with that. Just mount it on a phone mount.

Don't even need to do that. Set your destination, hook the phone up to your in car speakers and when it gives directions, follow the road signs. All without once touching your phone or even having to look at it. 

It's what I do on long journeys when I don't know where I'm going. The GPS will mute my music to give directions when return to my music after. :P 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

Just now, SeriouslyMikey said:

Don't even need to do that. Set your destination, hook the phone up to your in car speakers and when it gives directions, follow the road signs. All without once touching your phone or even having to look at it. 

It's what I do on long journeys when I don't know where I'm going. The GPS will mute my music to give directions when return to my music after. :P 

As long as you are not looking down/touching it while driving it is all fine ^_^

1 minute ago, LUUD18 said:

As long as you are not looking down/touching it while driving it is all fine ^_^

Oh, of course. Only time I've had to use my phone while driving was when I was well and truly lost at 4am because the motorway was closed and I needed to phone for directions because the service was so little, it wouldn't connect to my GPS. 

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

1 minute ago, SeriouslyMikey said:

Oh, of course. Only time I've had to use my phone while driving was when I was well and truly lost at 4am because the motorway was closed and I needed to phone for directions because the service was so little, it wouldn't connect to my GPS. 

Usually what I do when that happens is that I drive into a residential area and pull over to look :)

Just now, LUUD18 said:

Usually what I do when that happens is that I drive into a residential area and pull over to look :)

I would have done that if I knew the way to a residential area :D 

46 minutes ago, LUUD18 said:

How do you know if you are alone on the road? You never know if there is a car coming around the corner or from that dirt path after it. Just don't do it. Remember when you crash there is gonna be ambulance personnel aswell as police etc. They all have to be paid by the government so you are still affecting tax payers.

yes, and I pay for all of that to, it's an choice I do, same as everyone breaking the speed limit or driving on POS tiers or with POS vehicles. I'm just being honest here. I know it's not right I chose to do it anyway, as most ppl do with various things in life. 

11 hours ago, Tsuki said:

Not a problem so long as you're using a Dash/Windshield/Vent mount for your phone.

6 hours ago, pr0ny said:

yes, and I pay for all of that to, it's an choice I do, same as everyone breaking the speed limit or driving on POS tiers or with POS vehicles. I'm just being honest here. I know it's not right I chose to do it anyway, as most ppl do with various things in life. 

Just so long as you're aware that, no matter what you tell yourself, you are intentionally risking the lives of other people. Speeding a bit over the limit is one thing, but what you're doing is far worse.

If you can live with that, and the possibility that you might kill someone, then so be it.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

19 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Not a problem so long as you're using a Dash/Windshield/Vent mount for your phone.

Just so long as you're aware that, no matter what you tell yourself, you are intentionally risking the lives of other people. Speeding a bit over the limit is one thing, but what you're doing is far worse.

If you can live with that, and the possibility that you might kill someone, then so be it.

Agreed, and don't be surprised @pr0ny if WHEN you cause an accident or are in an accident that you get the book thrown at you.

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

5 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

speeding "a bit" over the limit leads to another 30+ meters before you get your car to stop, that is in my book far worse because most speeders out there does that regularly, the risk there is far greater then me texting when I'm alone on the road, most speeders does that in full blown traffic. telling me that speeding is "one thing" and what I do is another is complete bs, but hey, I guess to you the risk is worth it right? :)

Just now, pr0ny said:

speeding "a bit" over the limit leads to another 30+ meters before you get your car to stop, that is in my book far worse because most speeders out there does that regularly, the risk there is far greater then me texting when I'm alone on the road, most speeders does that in full blown traffic. telling me that speeding is "one thing" and what I do is another is complete bs, but hey, I guess to you the risk is worth it right? :)

You're 100% wrong about texting, because if you're texting, you're not paying attention to your surroundings. You cannot know for 100% certainty that you are "alone" on the road. You might not hear or see another car approach from behind, etc.

Also, please cite a source on your 30+ meters claim, because according to this:

http://www.government-fleet.com/content/driver-care-know-your-stopping-distance.aspx

If we assume highway speed limit of 60 MPH (roughly 100 km/h, which is common in Canada for Freeways and major highways).

30 meters = 98 feet

If you're doing 10 MPH over (70 MPH, or around 115 km/h), your added stopping distance is clearly less than 30 meters. Even including extra distance required due to reaction time. In Canada, going "a little bit over" would be 5 to 10 km/h over, not 15+ km/h over. Yes some people speed that much, but not everyone.

Which is why people are supposed to drive 2-3 seconds (or more) behind the vehicle in front of them while driving at highway speeds.

Not saying that speeding isn't dangerous - it certainly can be, but the risk of texting and driving is a lot higher. Distracted driving is starting to kill more people than drinking and driving.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

5 hours ago, pr0ny said:

@dalekphalm

I did some back of envelope calculations using work-energy principals out of curiosity. These are real simple equations, so they only are meant to give an idea; not necessarily represent reality. There are other factors such as brake performance that were not taken into account.

Stopping a car basically means you want to reduce the vehicle's kinetic energy (KE) to zero. From work-energy principals, we know that the net Work (W) done to a body is:

W = KE_final - KE_initial

We also know that kinetic energy is dependent on the mass (m) and velocity (v) of the body. Solving for net work assuming the car's mass stays the same:

KE = 1/2 * m * v^2

W = 1/2 * m * (v_final)^2 - 1/2 * m * (v_initial)^2

Since we are completely stopping the vehicle, v_final = 0. Therefore:

W = -1/2 * m * (v_final)^2

In order to find the distance required to stop the car, we can use the general equation for work; force times distance. Force (F) = friction coefficient (u) x mass (m) x acceleration due to gravity (g). Our force is in the opposite direction of the direction of travel since we are trying to stop the car.

W = -F * d
F = u * m * g

W = -u * m * g * d

Substituting our work equation above and solving for distance:

-u * m * g * d = -1/2 * m * (v_final)^2

d = (v_final)^2 / (2 * u * g)

For my calculations, I determined a reasonable coefficient of friction using braking test data from a 2014 Toyota Corolla (calculated using the same formula above). It was 0.91 for the 30mph-0 test and 0.92 for 60mph-0. For consistency sake, I used a constant value of u = 0.90 to extrapolate stopping distance for a range of 0 to 100 mph. Gravitational constant (g) = 32.2 ft/s/s. The graph is in miles per hour to be more relateable, but I used ft/s in the actual calculation.

Take a person driving 60 mph on a road with a posted speed limit of 55 mph. A very common occurrence. Just the 5 mph difference, the stopping distance increases by 21 ft (112 ft to 133 ft). In order to reach that 30 meter (98 ft) mark, the speeder would need to be going 75 mph in a 55 mph zone (112 ft to 208 ft). Not really an uncommon occurrence unfortunately. Although in my state at least, 20 mph over the speed limit could get you a reckless driving ticket.

All this being said, I think it's off base to say that speeding (even 20mph over) is more dangerous than distracted driving. The extra distance required to stop isn't going to make a difference when you slam into the rear end of the car in front of you because you weren't looking at the road. I would say however that looking at your phone while at a red light is safer than speeding (still not a good idea though).

2017-06-08.png

Source for brake test data:

https://www.edmunds.com/toyota/corolla/2014/road-test-specs1.html

So what happens when you take that 5-10 km/h minor speeding Into 50kmh limit or even 30kmh limit? or on curvy roads with low visibility, everything is the situation, in my situation the risk of causing any kind of accident is very minor compared to speeders, yet you think it's not, there are places when speeding is an minor risk, for example on the freeway going straight in light traffic. as I said, it's a choice I make because I judge the situation good enough to do it, just as speeders does. 

On 3-6-2017 at 9:28 PM, yathis said:

I love the justification buddy does. "Well if hes stopped at a light or just glancing at it" Bullshit

Its still illegal buddy.

This fucking shit costs lives!

when not moving looking at your phone is fine with me, the reason its outlawed is because it makes the no texting and driving easier to enforce. sometimes its even better to take a short break when its safe to do so because you generally can only focus for 15 minutes at a time, about 30 with training. that doesn't mean there are no alternatives like looking at clouds or some shit.

23 hours ago, SeriouslyMikey said:

my mother would be unable to do that, she has a lot of trouble following directions and she needs to visualize it in order to understand. as soon as she gets confused she starts driving recklessly because she swerves between lanes and shit, she doesn't do that on purpose she's just really confused. for young whippersnappers its not a problem but for elderly this stuff is problematic. we should just automate traffic already :P

i remember my friend pulling up with his moped to school, takeing of his helment and seeing headphones on blasting music. i fliped my shit. do you want to get run over THAT badly? god damn idiot

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

4 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

i remember my friend pulling up with his moped to school, takeing of his helment and seeing headphones on blasting music. i fliped my shit. do you want to get run over THAT badly? god damn idiot

Yeah I occasionally see people driving in their cars w/ earbuds in - listening to music on the car stereo is fine, since it doesn't block out other sounds, but earbuds will usually make it near impossible to hear anything else, including sirens, horns, etc.

10 hours ago, tlink said:

easier to enforce

Its not easy to enforce because people know its illegal and they do it at their crotch. That is why some juristictions now use rigs that are higher up, a city bus for example.

Just now, yathis said:

Its not easy to enforce because people know its illegal and they do it at their crotch. That is why some juristictions now use rigs that are higher up, a city bus for example.

Key difference.

@tlink said "easier to enforce", not "easy to enforce.

It's most certainly a true statement that it's easier to enforce texting laws while a car is stopped at a light, compared to when they're driving down the road.

With self driving cars its gunna be harder to pinch drink drivers.

1 minute ago, yathis said:

With self driving cars its gunna be harder to pinch drink drivers.

Well in theory, once self driving cars are certified as safe and reliable, it won't matter if the "driver" (or more specifically, the person sitting in the "primary" seat) is drunk or not.

5 minutes ago, yathis said:

i never said its easy to enforce :P

10 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

dutch people probably laugh at this. i have this friend over there who says its normal to listen music on the bike for most people, even if its a mixed road. drivers over there just aren't idiots.