US tech firms pledge to defy Trump on withdrawal from the Climate Change Agreement

Master Disaster
11 minutes ago, MageTank said:

Ignoring the massive mudflinging going on, Zuckerberg did make me chuckle.

"Every new data center we build will be powered by 100% renewable energy". Does this mean Intel finally found someone to buy those Atom processors? :P 

Zuck is also clearly planning to run for President, though probably not until 2024.   I look forward to the Meme potential. :)

14 minutes ago, S.Stephenson said:

Renewables are futureproof, they don't rely on OPEC and are due to the investments recently are only a few years off cost parity with conventional power generation.

Except we can't be powered 100% by the traditional (wind and solar) sources as they are inherently unreliable (see: Germany). We need conventional power somewhere to serve as the backbone. Personally I believe this should be some form of nuclear energy.

Heres a video:

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

19 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

I don't know about the other guys, but didn't Elon Musk try to profit from the Paris deal crap?

16 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

So, wouldn't pulling out screw his company?

Elon Musk is a businessman, he attempts to profit from any deal he gets.

All deals he makes as a business man and by that it is a gamble that he is fully aware of. So no it doesnt screw him at all, it is part of the gamble.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

8 minutes ago, sazrocks said:

1. Please.... just go read the speech.

2. Yes, you did. You mentioned Trump supporters and said that they were "Denying there's even a problem to worry about"

3. Where did I mention that the studies had been refuted? I simply objectively stated a, without commenting on its legitimacy , reason for skeptics to exist. As I stated originally I am not in a position the refute or verify the studies for myself so I will therefore not do so publicly.

2. I'd remember quoting your name specifically. I also think we should be past clarifying "Not ALL Trump supporters" as any reasonable person should assume that's a prerequisite but regardless you can assume it so from this point forward

Consider the other points conceded or discarded (or both)

-------

Current Rig

-------

5 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

2. I'd remember quoting your name specifically. I also think we should be past clarifying "Not ALL Trump supporters" as any reasonable person should assume that's a prerequisite but regardless you can assume it so from this point forward

2. Fine. If it was not your intention to say all Trump supporters, then you didn't make it very clear. But Fine.

as for

6 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Consider the other points conceded or discarded (or both)

Discarding my points without giving a word of response makes you no better than others in this thread who do the same. If you discard my point, list your reason.

7 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

More or less it's why he's leaving.  It has nothing to do with climate change.  It's profit for him.

I would encourage you too to read his speech.

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

The Paris agreement was/is garbage. Did nothing in gains for the US, had nothing to do with so called climate change. Leaving the Paris agreement was a good thing for the US just like when Bush did the same with the Kyoto Agreement signed by Clinton.

People will wine a complain about anything and nothing. This will all be forgotten down the road. All claims that Trump did this because he doesn't recognize climate change are foolish to think as much, it was about economic impact and nothing about climate, Trump even admits as much. 

Anyone whining about this did not pay attention to the details of the issue.

End of Discussion.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

5 minutes ago, sazrocks said:

2. Fine. If it was not your intention to say all Trump supporters, then you didn't make it very clear. But Fine.

as for

Discarding my points without giving a word of response makes you no better than others in this thread who do the same. If you discard my point, list your reason.

I would encourage you too to read his speech.

I also said conceded. This means that I agree with you enough that I don't think we have anything else to discuss.  

-------

Current Rig

-------

Even if you don't agree with AGW, why would you be opposed to seeking alternative power sources that are cleaner than coal (ignoring the climate it has a death count from pollution).  Personally the idea of energy being cheaper long term (fusion and thorium looking to be very efficient) is appealing all on it's own.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 minute ago, valdyrgramr said:

"I do it for the climate, not my bank account!"  Sure sure.  If they don't stick to it his business gets screwed...I'm not buying it for a second.

Then why would he be willing to re-enter into the agreement if it was on a more equal footing? 

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

5 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

To make him look good?  That's how he does his business.

What? He would look the complete opposite of good if the footing was leveled and he refused to re-enter. 

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

Just now, valdyrgramr said:

No, he claims he would re-enter if it was good for the environment because that makes him look good.  He is leaving because it impacts his business.  It's rather obvious.

I agree: talking about re-entering is one thing, meanwhile he cut 493 million from the EPA already and this is not even the only environment related program to suffer cuts (video linked to the relevant part)

-------

Current Rig

-------

Obama's entry into the Paris Climate Accord was very unconstitutional. The Constitution clearly delineates the power to enter binding agreements with other countries lays with Congress, not the Executive branch. 

4 minutes ago, dexT said:

Obama's entry into the Paris Climate Accord was very unconstitutional. The Constitution clearly delineates the power to enter binding agreements with other countries lays with Congress, not the Executive branch. 

Wow. That's crazy. He should have been impeached then.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Who cares if the planet is livable for our descendants. At least we triggered those libtards.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

2 minutes ago, dexT said:

Wouldn't the same apply for leaving then?

-------

Current Rig

-------

I'm surprised this thread hasn't been shut down or cleaned...

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

2 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

I'm surprised this thread hasn't been shut down or cleaned...

i will call one @GoodBytes, this is getting toxic.