Computex 2017 - HELL YEAH!

LinusTech
2 minutes ago, XenosTech said:

Zen was on their road map... so a HEDT platform was always in the works for Ryzen

We knew Summit Ridge (Ryzen 7) & Naples (Epyc) were coming, but we never had an internal code name for Threadripper.  That's really surprising, but it makes sense.  HEDT is a much smaller, if highly visible market.  2 package CPUs makes perfect sense, but they weren't even committed to HEDT when Ryzen launched, publicly. Then the rumors dropped, and then we got confirmation that, clearly, a lot of execs grew up in the 80s.  Haha.

1 minute ago, Taf the Ghost said:

We knew Summit Ridge (Ryzen 7) & Naples (Epyc) were coming, but we never had an internal code name for Threadripper.  That's really surprising, but it makes sense.  HEDT is a much smaller, if highly visible market.  2 package CPUs makes perfect sense, but they weren't even committed to HEDT when Ryzen launched, publicly. Then the rumors dropped, and then we got confirmation that, clearly, a lot of execs grew up in the 80s.  Haha.

I hope it brings the performance that the R7's brought to the table.

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

Just now, XenosTech said:

I hope it brings the performance that the R7's brought to the table.

The top SKU will be two Ryzen 7 1800X put together w/ Quad Channel Memory. It should scale between 85-95% compared to just doubling 1800X scores. In a non-OC'd situation, it'll easily make it under the thermals. There's a reason, even if it's quite cheesy, that they went with Threadripper as a name.

As for Intel, they were caught off guard somewhere back early in the year.  What we seeing is just that play out. They've more than likely adjusted everything internally going forward, but the "shifting gears" phase always looks a tad messy.  You can see this reflected in AMD right now in their graphics card division. HBM2 supplies are just simply late at the speeds that they were expecting, so RX Vega is not releasing for several more months. Something going "wrong" in tech might not be clearly visible for many months after a choice was made.  Or in the case of Netburst or Bulldozer, many years.

33 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

The top SKU will be two Ryzen 7 1800X put together w/ Quad Channel Memory. It should scale between 85-95% compared to just doubling 1800X scores. In a non-OC'd situation, it'll easily make it under the thermals. There's a reason, even if it's quite cheesy, that they went with Threadripper as a name.

As for Intel, they were caught off guard somewhere back early in the year.  What we seeing is just that play out. They've more than likely adjusted everything internally going forward, but the "shifting gears" phase always looks a tad messy.  You can see this reflected in AMD right now in their graphics card division. HBM2 supplies are just simply late at the speeds that they were expecting, so RX Vega is not releasing for several more months. Something going "wrong" in tech might not be clearly visible for many months after a choice was made.  Or in the case of Netburst or Bulldozer, many years.

We would hope it's just a doubling of the scores. I don't quite understand ryzen's setup to say it's a surety but if they do get that I'll say it's a damn good feat.

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

2 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

if the rumors are right about the price of thread ripper and it is $849 then intel is fucked as although having an extra 2 cores would be nice, I can't see many if any one willing to pay an extra £1000 for them. Especially when naples exist which looking at pricing of the R9s will have a 18 core which is cheaper than intels,  I mean if the rumor is correct then AMDs 16cores cheaper than intels 18 core. I mean I doubt AMD will make it that cheap, but to me I can't see it being more than expensive than $1200, still making it $800 cheaper. But as AMD has shown with R7, $849 might be entirely possible.

The owner of "too many" computers, called

The Lord of all Toasters (1920X 1080ti 32GB)

The Toasted Controller (i5 4670, R9 380, 24GB)

The Semi Portable Toastie machine (i7 3612QM (was an i3) intel HD 4000 16GB)'

Bread and Butter Pudding (i7 7700HQ, 1050ti, 16GB)

Pinoutbutter Sandwhich (raspberry pi 3 B)

The Portable Slice of Bread (N270, HAHAHA, 2GB)

Muffinator (C2D E6600, Geforce 8400, 6GB, 8X2TB HDD)

Toastbuster (WIP, should be cool)

loaf and let dough (A printer that doesn't print black ink)

The Cheese Toastie (C2D (of some sort), GTX 760, 3GB, win XP gaming machine)

The Toaster (C2D, intel HD, 4GB, 2X1TB NAS)

Matter of Loaf and death (some old shitty AMD laptop)

windybread (4X E5470, intel HD, 32GB ECC) (use coming soon, maybe)

And more, several more

Regarding the video "I have some things to say - Core i9 & X299":

I was wondering about all this after seeing the Kaby Lake X specs, and the video did a great job of filling in the details that I hadn't yet bothered to research. I agree with Linus here that the X299 launch (plus LGA2066 CPUs) appears pretty rushed and haphazardly thrown together, driven by AMD's Threadripper announcements.

That being said, I think there are a couple of silver linings here. First, for the extreme enthusiasts, I think this launch will be like any other. You'll still be able to buy a badass 18C/36T CPU and an equally badass mobo with all the possible bells and whistles. It's only the lower tierCPUs (particularly Kaby Lake X) that start to become questionable. The second possible good news is that Intel may already be in the process of taking Linus' free business advice. If we're lucky, then this particular launch will be a bit of a mess, but Coffee Lake will end up being a big step up. They've already hastily announced that it will give a 30% performance boost, though we'll have to wait and see what metric they're actually referring to. Intel may have been caught off guard this time around, but now that they've realized that AMD is finally putting out some strong competition, they may start pushing themselves harder. Ultimately, that's what everybody's been wanting for years anyway. We've had great improvements in GPU performance for years because there's been real competition in that market. Hopefully we'll finally see the same in the CPU market in the years to come (once we get past X299).

X299, what a damn clusterf*ck.

I don't even understand why kabylake-X is a thing. I mean what kind of customers are they targeting?

And WTF is that raid-key crap? I have been in the tech world for quite a few years now and i've never heard of it before O_o

It's nice to see Linus genuinely explaning his worries and the issues.

If it takes about 15 minutes to explain what's wrong with a platform that's not even launched something is very wrong.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Best Video in a long while 

Love hearing this style 

IntelCorei54670k,Maximus VI Formula,Swift tech H220, 16gigs Corsair Dominator platinums, Asus DCUII GTX 780,1x256 840 evo, 1x 2TB Segate barracuda, Corsair AX 860, 

3 X Noctua NF-F12, 2x Noctua NF A-14, Ducky Shine 3 Blue Leds Blue switches, Razer Death Adder 2012, Corsair vengence 1400  

Loved the latest video on your frustrations with X299. Great to have all of the changes and quirks laid out and be quite justifiably criticised by someone so prominent in the industry. I've been quite disappointed by most other YouTube tech reporters being so unquestioning in their reporting on the platform.

IMO, trying to make sense of what Intel is doing with their X299 just adds more stress. From a non-techie perspective, all they see are price and whether it fits their budget. If they can afford it, they will buy it.

X299 just brings more choices as to what that person wants. They can get a kabylake-X and probably upgrade to a better cpu in the future. Now some will argue why not just get a Skylake-X with more cores since they're already getting HEDT. Well maybe they want a better gpu for now and can live with a temporary cpu. They can either sell the cpu later on or make another build for other purposes.

Kabylake-X only has 16 lanes, but we don't know how many lanes X299 chipsets has. If it has the same as Z270, then it shouldn't be a problem with not enough lanes.

And I've saw a comment on one of a computex youtube clip where some person commented,

Why the Chinese calls Intel a toothpaste factory.

Because when you use toothpaste, you squeeze a little bit every time you use it. Just like Intel squeezing a little bit of performance, with every new cpu they release. xD

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Did I miss it in the video - is the EVE V fanless? There are openings visible in the video, but they seem too small for cooling (audio?)

Regarding the video "I have some things to say - Core i9 & X299" 

It is really a shame, just take a look at their lasts "extreme" editions launches. It jumped from 6 cores on the 4960x to 8 cores on the 5960x. And all this while AMD had no real "threat" against Intel's lineup. But then when AMD shows something that can be competitive, Intel rushes a launch and shows their new top of the line extreme cpu with 18 cores. That's a 10 core jump!  It really feels like they could've done better in the past but they didn't because it was already enough to beat the competition, instead of just making the best they could to provide the best to the customers. That's the sad thing for me. That Intel doesn't just do the best they can, only if there is a reason, if there is a threat to their profits. Which is understandable as companies only care about profits, that's what all the shareholders really cares about. But it's still sad. X299 could have been something much better. Heck, X99 could have been something way better. 

• 3 years later...

so recently when I was watching Linus' video about X299 platform and Kabylake X I have some things to say - Core i9 & X299
I realized that this video is filmed near my high school, I even found the place they took the thumbnail
1&2. the MRT station they passed by
3. my high school
4. the fire station near the end of the video
5. the place they took the thumbnail

P_20201109_155546.jpg

P_20201109_155628.jpg

P_20201109_155831.jpg

P_20201109_160040.jpg

P_20201109_160148.jpg

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings"
If my comment helped you please mark it as solution. Refresh before you reply, I edit comments often.

Current PC Spec
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen 5
Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk
RAM: XPG D10 White 2x8GB 3200 CL16
GPU: EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC
Storages: 1x512GB Intel 760P M.2 NVME(boot drive)
1x2TB Umax M1500 Gen4 M.2 NVME(Game storage)
1x1TB Adata SU800 Ultiamte 2.5 inch Sata3 SSD(Game storage)
1x3TB Toshiba 7200RPM CMR drive
Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
PSU: Seasonic Focus GX-850
Keyboard: Ducky Zero 3108 Cherry MX red
Mouse: Logitech G603 LightSpeed
Headphone: Audio-Technica ATH-M20x
Microphone: AVerMedia AM310
Flight stick: Thrustmaster T16000M FCS 3 pack

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Value: $308
  • Games owned: 229
  • Games played: 163 (71%)