Deciding on Which 1080ti to get

Daniel644

Long story short, an app my sister turned me onto (Ibotta) is offering 15% cashback from Jet.com orders (limit of $100 per order) if I stack that with the rebates Jet.com already has and factor in tax I could get a Founder's Edition for a NET price of under 600 bucks or the Asus Strix for 680 or the EVGA SC2 for about 15 bucks cheaper then the Asus or the FTW3 for about 15 more then the Asus.

I really wanted to wait for Vega, but I know we won't see prices this low in the general market, which would you go with? at this price it may be worth doing the founders card then fitting a AIO kit to it down the road a few months, thoughts?

SC2 if you just want a 1080 ti that is decent. Strix if you want the more RGB or already have an asus mobo with rgb

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

3 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

Long story short, an app my sister turned me onto (Ibotta) is offering 15% cashback from Jet.com orders (limit of $100 per order) if I stack that with the rebates Jet.com already has and factor in tax I could get a Founder's Edition for a NET price of under 600 bucks or the Asus Strix for 680 or the EVGA SC2 for about 15 bucks cheaper then the Asus or the FTW3 for about 15 more then the Asus.

I really wanted to wait for Vega, but I know we won't see prices this low in the general market, which would you go with? at this price it may be worth doing the founders card then fitting a AIO kit to it down the road a few months, thoughts?

leaks say that vega wont be more than 600 dollars, and its for sure better than a 1080ti (the high end model at least)

13700k, 3070, 32GB@3200

SC2 if you don't want RGB

-----> Official Unofficial Favorite Keyswitch Type Survey <-----

OWNER OF THE FASTEST INTEL iGPU ON LTT UNIGINE SUPERPOSITION [lol]

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

CPU i5-13600k | COOLING Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm (White) | MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4 | GPU Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision OC (White) | RAM  16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB (White)SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | PSU ASUS STRIX 850W (White)CASE  Phanteks G360a (White) | HEADPHONES  Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro | KEYBOARD Zoom75 (KTT Strawberry w/ GMK British Racing Green keycaps) | MOUSE  Cooler Master MM711 (White) MONITOR HP X32 1440p 165hz IPS

WORK RIG "OVERPRICED BRICK"

Mac Studio (M2 Ultra / 128GB / 1TB) | HEADPHONES  AirPods Pro 2 | KEYBOARD Logitech MX Mechanical Mini | MOUSE  Logitech MX Master 3S MONITOR 2x Dell 4K 32"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

CPU i7-4770K OC @ 4.3GHz | COOLING Cryorig M9i (review| MOTHERBOARD ASUS Z87-PROGPU Gigabyte 1650 Super Windforce OC | RAM  16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 MHzSSD Samsung 860 Evo 512GB | HDD Toshiba 3TB 7200RPMPSU EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750WCASE  NZXT H230 | HEADPHONES  Sony WH-1000XM3  | KEYBOARD Corsair STRAFE - Cherry MX Brown | MOUSE  Logitech G602 MONITOR LG 34UM58-P 34" Ultrawide

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

GET YOUR ASS ON NIGHT THEME

OTHER TECH I OWN:

MacBook Pro 16" [M1 Pro/32GB/1TB] | 2022 Volkswagen GTI | iPhone 14 Pro | Sony a6000 | Apple Watch Series 8 45mm | 2018 MBP 15" | Lenovo Flex 3 [i7-5500U, HD5500 (fastest on the forum), 8GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Evo] | PS5, Xbox One & Nintendo Switch [Home Theater setup] | DJI Phantom 3 Standard | AirPods 2 | Jaybird Freedom (two pairs) & X2 [long story, PM if you want to know why I have 3 pairs of Jaybirds]

5 minutes ago, Shiv78 said:

SC2 if you don't want RGB

what about the SC Black Edition, how does it compare to the SC2, It would be about 30 bucks cheaper then the SC2

SC2 is a Founder's edition PCB with extra temperature sensors; SC Black is a FE card without the sensors. EVGA is going overboard with this thermal thing; they're also the loudest US aftermarket cards because the fan curve is so aggressive.

I'd get an MSI Duke when it goes back in stock. Cheaper than anything you're considering, with a better cooler, backplate, RGB, and the best VRM. The Aorus is also the same price as the SC Black and a better card.

I'm not a fan of a big EVGA and a card model logo they slapped on a card. Strix looks more minimalist, but also like a big radiator brick with strange plastic cutouts.

Having said that, MSI TwinFrozer and Aorus are absolutely horrendous, and tasteless with stupid color accents and logos. Why is it so hard to design a good looking card for this much money.

Out of all the offerings I would go with Strix.

4 minutes ago, Nimrodor said:

SC2 is a Founder's edition PCB with extra temperature sensors; SC Black is a FE card without the sensors. EVGA is going overboard with this thermal thing; they're also the loudest US aftermarket cards because the fan curve is so aggressive.

I'd get an MSI Duke when it goes back in stock. Cheaper than anything you're considering, with a better cooler, backplate, RGB, and the best VRM. The Aorus is also the same price as the SC Black and a better card.

not a fan of the Aorus due to the orange accents.

4 minutes ago, MysticLTT said:

I'm not a fan of a big EVGA and a card model logo they slapped on a card. Strix looks more minimalist, but also like a big radiator brick with strange plastic cutouts.

Having said that, MSI TwinFrozer and Aorus are absolutely horrendous, and tasteless with stupid color accents and logos. Why is it so hard to design a good looking card for this much money.

Out of all the offerings I would go with Strix.

I prefer the look of the Strix myself, but the price I can get the Founders, I could also get EVGA's Hybrid Kit and only be like 20 bucks or so more expensive then the Strix (basically the cost of the FTW3)

8 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

not a fan of the Aorus due to the orange accents.

I prefer the look of the Strix myself, but the price I can get the Founders, I could also get EVGA's Hybrid Kit and only be like 20 bucks or so more expensive then the Strix (basically the cost of the FTW3)

If you have time and desire to mess with the kit, then should get better thermals.

If you're using a Hybrid Kit then get a reference design.  Otherwise get the cheapest.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

I have an Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 Ti, as it looks cool IMO and it runs objectively cooler over the Founders Edition. If you're expecting any better performance with an AIB option over the reference-reference one (with the radial fan or more commonly referred to as "blower"), you're sore outta luck. They're going to perform the same, give or take a few percentage points.

RIGZ

Spoiler

Starlight (Current): AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core CPU | EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Full Custom Loop | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 1TB + 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSDs, 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD, 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | EVGA NU Audio | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair ML120 2-pack 5x + ML140 2-pack

The Storm (Retired): Intel Core i7-5930K | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 | EKWB EK-KIT P360 with Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport 480 | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD + 3TB 5400 RPM NAS HDD + 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i + Black/Blue CableMod cables | Corsair ML120 2-pack 2x + NB-BlackSilentPro PL-2 x3

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

EK-Quantum Momentum X570 Aorus Master monoblock | EK-FC RTX 2080 + Ti Classic RGB Waterblock and Backplate | EK-XRES 140 D5 PWM Pump/Res Combo | 2x Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 480 MP and 1x SR2 240 MP | 10X Corsair ML120 PWM fans | A mixture of EK-KIT fittings and EK-Torque STC fittings and adapters | Mayhems 10/13mm clear tubing | Mayhems X1 Eco UV Blue coolant | Bitspower G1/4 Temperature Probe Fitting

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard | Glorious Model D Featherweight Mouse | 2x BenQ PD3200Q 32" 1440p IPS displays + BenQ BL3200PT 32" 1440p VA display | Mackie ProFX10v3 USB Mixer + Marantz MPM-1000 Mic | Sennheiser HD 598 SE Headphones | 2x ADAM Audio T5V 5" Powered Studio Monitors + ADAM Audio T10S Powered Studio Subwoofer | Logitech G920 Driving Force Steering Wheel and Pedal Kit + Driving Force Shifter | Logitech C922x 720p 60FPS Webcam | Xbox One Wireless Controller

QUOTES

Spoiler

"So because they didn't give you the results you want, they're biased? You realize that makes you biased, right?" - @App4that

"Brand loyalty/fanboyism is stupid." - Unknown person on these forums

"Assuming kills" - @Moondrelor

"That's not to say that Nvidia is always better, or that AMD isn't worth owning. But the fact remains that this forum is AMD biased." - @App4that

"I'd imagine there's exceptions to this trend - but just going on mine and my acquaintances' purchase history, we've found that budget cards often require you to turn off certain features to get slick performance, even though those technologies are previous gen and should be having a negligible impact" - ace42

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

1 minute ago, JurunceNK said:

I have an Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 Ti, as it looks cool IMO and it runs objectively cooler over the Founders Edition. If you're expecting any better performance with an AIB option over the reference-reference one (with the radial fan or more commonly referred to as "blower"), you're sore outta luck. They're going to perform the same, give or take a few percentage points.

only reason to go Reference then do the Hybrid conversion is purely for the acoustics, it would be a small price premium over over the Strix but should cut down noise levels compared to strix

Just now, Daniel644 said:

only reason to go Reference then do the Hybrid conversion is purely for the acoustics, it would be a small price premium over over the Strix but should cut down noise levels compared to strix

Yeah. Reason why I went with the Strix over the reference is for the RGB lighting and Aura synchronization, aesthetics (it matches up with my motherboard nicely), and for the fact that I'm not going to be water-cooling my GPU for a while, and when I do, I plan on grabbing a Phanteks Glacier G1080 Ti Strix RGB waterblock.

RIGZ

Spoiler

Starlight (Current): AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core CPU | EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Full Custom Loop | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 1TB + 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSDs, 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD, 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | EVGA NU Audio | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair ML120 2-pack 5x + ML140 2-pack

The Storm (Retired): Intel Core i7-5930K | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 | EKWB EK-KIT P360 with Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport 480 | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD + 3TB 5400 RPM NAS HDD + 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i + Black/Blue CableMod cables | Corsair ML120 2-pack 2x + NB-BlackSilentPro PL-2 x3

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

EK-Quantum Momentum X570 Aorus Master monoblock | EK-FC RTX 2080 + Ti Classic RGB Waterblock and Backplate | EK-XRES 140 D5 PWM Pump/Res Combo | 2x Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 480 MP and 1x SR2 240 MP | 10X Corsair ML120 PWM fans | A mixture of EK-KIT fittings and EK-Torque STC fittings and adapters | Mayhems 10/13mm clear tubing | Mayhems X1 Eco UV Blue coolant | Bitspower G1/4 Temperature Probe Fitting

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard | Glorious Model D Featherweight Mouse | 2x BenQ PD3200Q 32" 1440p IPS displays + BenQ BL3200PT 32" 1440p VA display | Mackie ProFX10v3 USB Mixer + Marantz MPM-1000 Mic | Sennheiser HD 598 SE Headphones | 2x ADAM Audio T5V 5" Powered Studio Monitors + ADAM Audio T10S Powered Studio Subwoofer | Logitech G920 Driving Force Steering Wheel and Pedal Kit + Driving Force Shifter | Logitech C922x 720p 60FPS Webcam | Xbox One Wireless Controller

QUOTES

Spoiler

"So because they didn't give you the results you want, they're biased? You realize that makes you biased, right?" - @App4that

"Brand loyalty/fanboyism is stupid." - Unknown person on these forums

"Assuming kills" - @Moondrelor

"That's not to say that Nvidia is always better, or that AMD isn't worth owning. But the fact remains that this forum is AMD biased." - @App4that

"I'd imagine there's exceptions to this trend - but just going on mine and my acquaintances' purchase history, we've found that budget cards often require you to turn off certain features to get slick performance, even though those technologies are previous gen and should be having a negligible impact" - ace42

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

1 hour ago, Nimrodor said:

The Aorus is also the same price as the SC Black and a better card.

The Aorus card has already had dozens of reports of shitty units just on this forum.

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

CPU i5-13600k | COOLING Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm (White) | MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4 | GPU Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision OC (White) | RAM  16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB (White)SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | PSU ASUS STRIX 850W (White)CASE  Phanteks G360a (White) | HEADPHONES  Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro | KEYBOARD Zoom75 (KTT Strawberry w/ GMK British Racing Green keycaps) | MOUSE  Cooler Master MM711 (White) MONITOR HP X32 1440p 165hz IPS

Mac Studio (M2 Ultra / 128GB / 1TB) | HEADPHONES  AirPods Pro 2 | KEYBOARD Logitech MX Mechanical Mini | MOUSE  Logitech MX Master 3S MONITOR 2x Dell 4K 32"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

CPU i7-4770K OC @ 4.3GHz | COOLING Cryorig M9i (review| MOTHERBOARD ASUS Z87-PROGPU Gigabyte 1650 Super Windforce OC | RAM  16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 MHzSSD Samsung 860 Evo 512GB | HDD Toshiba 3TB 7200RPMPSU EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750WCASE  NZXT H230 | HEADPHONES  Sony WH-1000XM3  | KEYBOARD Corsair STRAFE - Cherry MX Brown | MOUSE  Logitech G602 MONITOR LG 34UM58-P 34" Ultrawide

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

OTHER TECH I OWN:

MacBook Pro 16" [M1 Pro/32GB/1TB] | 2022 Volkswagen GTI | iPhone 14 Pro | Sony a6000 | Apple Watch Series 8 45mm | 2018 MBP 15" | Lenovo Flex 3 [i7-5500U, HD5500 (fastest on the forum), 8GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Evo] | PS5, Xbox One & Nintendo Switch [Home Theater setup] | DJI Phantom 3 Standard | AirPods 2 | Jaybird Freedom (two pairs) & X2 [long story, PM if you want to know why I have 3 pairs of Jaybirds]

1 hour ago, Shiv78 said:

The Aorus card has already had dozens of reports of shitty units just on this forum.

People also believe that EVGA's VRM issues were caused by shoddy cooling and that they were widespread. 

Confirmation bias is a powerful thing; where people expect to find problems, they will find problems.

3 hours ago, Daniel644 said:

I have two FE cards and both are modified to be Hybrid cards, meaning they are both air cooled and water cooled.

4 minutes ago, lilbman said:

I have two FE cards and both are modified to be Hybrid cards, meaning they are both air cooled and water cooled.

is it possible to retain the part of the FE shroud (with modifications of course) that Gamers Nexus left off in there Hybrid build?

11 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

is it possible to retain the part of the FE shroud (with modifications of course) that Gamers Nexus left off in there Hybrid build?

It's possible, but it would be difficult.  You would have to cut out where the cooling part meets the die and cut out a slot for the tubing.  Even then, I do not know if that would work.

12 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

EVGA has a Hybrid Kit specifically for the 1080 Ti with a proper faceplate. 

https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=400-HY-5388-B1

You can do the way GamersNexus did theirs and it works just fine. I wouldn't suggest cutting the FE cooler especially if you plan to resell it.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

Just now, VagabondWraith said:

EVGA has a Hybrid Kit specifically for the 1080 Ti with a proper faceplate. 

https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=400-HY-5388-B1

You can do the way GamersNexus did theirs and it works just fine. I wouldn't suggest cutting the FE cooler especially if you plan to resell it.

not a huge fan of the EVGA shroud, thats why I was asking about modding the shroud, but I wouldn't ever be reselling, this PC is a one and done, it will be my last personal desktop (also the first i've done in over a decade since I did my last upgrade cycle, no joke my last desktop has an AGP interface for it's GPU, it's been that long, just did some more looking, I can get the Seahawk X for like 45 bucks more then the Strix but having trouble finding reviews.

alright, been researching for the last few hours, due to the pricing I think the smart option is to grab a Founders card then do like a Kraken G12 with like an H55 or some other AIO, that can be done for like 2 bucks more then the Asus Strix card and likely have better temps from what i've seen so far and worst case I just get the EVGA Hybrid kit, which is about the same cost as buying something like the seahawk, but I can do it in stages instead of spending all the money right now..

Well it's HERE,

did some preliminary testing (now its time to eat and go to bed), used the EVGA Precision X OC software, increased the Power Target to 120% set Priority to temperature (if I set to power target it crashes just after finishing the benchmark with the other settings the same) and managed to achieve a +150 on the core and a +400 on the memory (but I never tried to take the memory further) then set the fan speed to Jet Engine mode (otherwise known as 80%) for a peak core clock of 2050 and with the fans ramped up to 80% so it never exceeds 70C the lowest the core clock dropped during the benchmark was 1923, for a card this cheap I think thats pretty good, definitely gonna need to look into doing a Hybrid mod, my computer was SO QUIET, now it's got this noise machine in it.

5 hours ago, Daniel644 said:

Well it's HERE,

did some preliminary testing (now its time to eat and go to bed), used the EVGA Precision X OC software, increased the Power Target to 120% set Priority to temperature (if I set to power target it crashes just after finishing the benchmark with the other settings the same) and managed to achieve a +150 on the core and a +400 on the memory (but I never tried to take the memory further) then set the fan speed to Jet Engine mode (otherwise known as 80%) for a peak core clock of 2050 and with the fans ramped up to 80% so it never exceeds 70C the lowest the core clock dropped during the benchmark was 1923, for a card this cheap I think thats pretty good, definitely gonna need to look into doing a Hybrid mod, my computer was SO QUIET, now it's got this noise machine in it.

Which card? STRIX?

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

OTHER TECH I OWN:

4 hours ago, Shiv78 said:

Which card? STRIX?

the noisy (well noisy when you ramp the fans to 80%) Zotac Founders that was the cheapest option, after I get the cashbacks I will have paid approximately (rounding up to the nearest dollar) $583 US. plan is to use the money I saved over the more expensive units and do a hybrid mod either with a Kraken G12 or the EVGA kit.