Why is 4K coming to mobile but PC is having a harder time?

fredey

I have just read this article:

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/171362-qualcomm-announces-the-snapdragon-805-an-arm-chip-ready-for-a-4k-world

and from what I gather 4K will come to mobile faster and more wildly available than on PC's. Isn'tt that weird?

My main question is how can the tiny Qualcomm chip drive 4K so easily when most PC's can't even display in 4K?

PCs have no issues displaying in 4K, I'm not sure what you mean.

Vendors bring out the heavy artillery for whatever market is the most popular at the moment.  Mobile devices like tablets and phones are where companies will focus on first, because that's a big market and being the top dog there is most important since grabbing a majority of sales in that market is a bigger deal financially than in desktop monitors.  They'll expand to other secondary markets but the biggest ones will get the good stuff first.  It's just business, that's how things work.

Because 4K gaming at the moment is terrible, The amount of power required from the GPUs is way too damn high, Your looking at 2 780Ti's or 290x's to run at 4K, they are not cheap, so nobody buys them and therefore there's no market, Once we start seeing things like the equivalent to a single GTX 770 or 280x running them at 60+FPS in single solutions then there will be a larger market, much like we saw with 1080p. 

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.7 1.3v  with a Corsair H80 w/Dual SP120s - Motherboard: MSI Z97 gaming 5 - RAM: 4x4 G.Skill Ripjaws X @ 1600 - GPU: Dual PowerColour R9 290- SSD: Samsung NVME SM951 256GB-- PSU: Corsair RM 1000  - Case: NZXT H440 Black/red - Keyboard: Coolermaster CM storm Quickfire TK, Cherry MX blues - Mouse: Logitech G502 - Heaphones: Beyerdynamic DT 770 - Monitors: 3x VE248H Eyefinity 1080P -  Phone: iPhone 6S Plus               Please post your specifications in your post, signature or even better, system page on your profile!

I think you are a bit confused. PC's can support 4K fine.

Its just when you start putting highly AAA games through that resolution do PCs struggle to get "good fps"

where as phones dont have such demanding software.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

PCs have no issues displaying in 4K, I'm not sure what you mean.

Vendors bring out the heavy artillery for whatever market is the most popular at the moment.  Mobile devices like tablets and phones are where companies will focus on first, because that's a big market and being the top dog there is most important since grabbing a majority of sales in that market is a bigger deal financially than in desktop monitors.  They'll expand to other secondary markets but the biggest ones will get the good stuff first.  It's just business, that's how things work.

Agree

Corsair 600T White | Gigabyte Z77-UD3H | Intel Core i5-2500k | 8GB Gskill Ares@1600MHz | Gigabyte G1 GTX970 | OCZ ZT 550 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (boot) | Full Custom Loop | NZXT HUE

Displaying 4K really isn't too hard. It's not on the PC because there's no 4K content worth having and the PC market is more pragmatic - in the mobile sector manufacturers do whatever they can to differentiate their products because, let's face it most mobile phones are pretty much the same now. Just look at Sony with the whole "waterproof phone" thing. If 4K sells, 4K will be what they go for.

On the PC on the other hand, people tend to buy what they can actually use. Since it's next to impossible to get a decent gaming experience on 4K at the moment and there aren't any movies available in 4K, there's not a lot of point in buying a monitor which supports it.

Most PCs can display 4k, just not game on it.

<p>Wires Suck :angry:
!fY0|_|(4|\|R34[)7#!5PMM37#3(0[)3:1337 70833|\|73R3[)!|\|49!\/34\|/4Y 4|\|[)93741!f3

i think OP is confused. pcs can already display 4k. this is just saying that mobiles will soon be able to do the same .....

Displaying 4K really isn't too hard. It's not on the PC because there's no 4K content worth having and the PC market is more pragmatic - in the mobile sector manufacturers do whatever they can to differentiate their products because, let's face it most mobile phones are pretty much the same now. Just look at Sony with the whole "waterproof phone" thing. If 4K sells, 4K will be what they go for.

On the PC on the other hand, people tend to buy what they can actually use. Since it's next to impossible to get a decent gaming experience on 4K at the moment and there aren't any movies being filmed in 4K, there's not a lot of point in buying a monitor which supports it.

Most movies right now are filmed at  4k, for example the Hobbit was filmed at 4k.

Back from the dead....

Imagine the battery Life on a 4k mobile device.. :o

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Imagine the battery Life on a 4k mobile device.. :o

Probably just the same as now . ( One full working day for most devices )

Interested in Business and Technology

Most movies right now are filmed at  4k, for example the Hobbit was filmed at 4k.

Yes, but no content is distributed at 4k :(

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

PCs can power a 4K display but when it comes to games it struggles due to the lack of power on graphics cards when playing on high settings for current gen games. Can't wait to see how mobile devices perform in gaming on a 4K resolution.

http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/61629-amd-radeon-r9-290x-vs-nvidia-geforce-gtx-titan-4k/

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

You think angry birds on your mobile device is any where near as processor heavy as pc games? Lol

GamingPC: Intel 4770k CPU, 2xMSI 780 GTX Twin Frozr, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, Swiftech H220 CPU Cooler.

Cookie Cutter Build log

Yes, but:

Yes, but no content is distributed at 4k :(

^ This. I've edited the post to make my point more clear though.

We don't need 4k. Phones don't need 4k. TVs need 4k; that is what Qualcomm is pushing for. Imagine every 4k TV running a Qualcomm chip for smart functions? That is good business.

NOTE:

• PCs don't need 4k because there is no need. Why would you want such definition for simple productivity tasks?
  • Phones don't need 4k because they need antialiasing more.

Compatible with Windows 95

We have AA. Well, that really isn't a reason.

I don't see what's different with mobile phone screens and monitors. Maybe get 6 mobile screens and run them in surround or eyefinity, why can I not do it QQ

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ

Im heading straight to dat 8k! lol jk i still dont have a 1080p TV or a monitor lol. I have one of those cheaper "HD Ready" TVs with a huge bezel and some old 17" 75hz monitor from Dell.

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M

We don't need 4k. Phones don't need 4k. TVs need 4k; that is what Qualcomm is pushing for. Imagine every 4k TV running a Qualcomm chip for smart functions? That is good business.

NOTE:

• PCs don't need 4k because there is no need. Why would you want such definition for simple productivity tasks?
  • Phones don't need 4k because they need antialiasing more.

Actualy there is quite a large need for 4k on pc. 4k monitors can help greatly when doing things like image and video editing

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Actualy there is quite a large need for 4k on pc. 4k monitors can help greatly when doing things like image and video editing

That is a tiny proportion of PC users. Most users don't even have 1080p screens in my experience.

Compatible with Windows 95