So I got a call from my ISP a few days ago...

Misanthrope

My ISP bumped up the speed by 30 Mbps, but also bumped up the price by like 3 euros a months. Damned shills!

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

21 hours ago, BakaSoniji said:

20170521155224.png.a4b99fcd4c60ba2c3748f72dad971997.png

I'm sad._. but good to know that mexico now has a better internet connection than the U.S. (at least better than my area)

When I started using AT&T few years ago, they offered me 6Mbps Down / 768Kbps Up, but few months ago because the network was so unstable, they recommended me to downgrade my network to at most 3Mbps/384Kbps

Now when I check availability for my address, it seems they want me to use 1.5Mbps now...

1.png.e06d40298f8f459d90c33cd7cda20795.png

May be I should look into Sonic or Comcast

While Comcast is the big evil. They do invest in their network. They would be able to give you faster speeds. It just might cost you your soul. MUHHAAAAAAA. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

I'm in Rapid City, SD. We have two Cable Companies in town, so we've got some semblance of competition.

Vast!

Midco

Meanwhile in northern Mexico..I mean Arizona.

Screenshot_20170522-203657.png

Last weekend I have switched over to a new ISP (Ziggo). Hello 300/30 Mbps. Goodbye 25/1 Mbps.

Yeah, my previous provider was total crap. They provided everything though the phone line (TV/Internet and phone) which resulted in that, when I was downloading something (a game from Steam for example) my girlfriend couldn't watch TV properly as it was stuttering pretty bad. O.o

CPU: i7-12700KF Grill Plate Edition // MOBO: Asus Z690-PLUS WIFI D4 // RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200MHz CL14 

GPU: MSI GTX 1080 FE // PSU: Corsair RM750i // CASE: Thermaltake Core X71 // BOOT: Samsung Evo 960 500GB

STORAGE: WD PC SN530 512GB + Samsung Evo 860 500GB // COOLING: Full custom loop // DISPLAY: LG 34UC89G-B

On May 21, 2017 at 6:26 PM, AshleyAshes said:

Meanwhile in Canada...

FB_IMG_1495409158147.jpg.2b397fd457f551bdb55edadb3df8ce87.jpg

I think if I had downloads that fast I'd cry from joy.  ? ?

Though for now I'm happy to finally have around 70mbps.  It doesn't take all day long to download large games thank Godoka.  

On May 21, 2017 at 7:02 PM, Syntaxvgm said:

I have 100/100 (symmetric!) and can get 2 Gigabit where I live. In the US, the problem isn't everywhere. It's worse in different areas where there are monopolies 

Where (as specific as you're comfortable saying) is this magical place with such wonderful internet speeds? ?

2 hours ago, Mooshi said:

Meanwhile in northern Mexico..I mean Arizona.

Yikes!  With Internet that slow you deserve all the hugs.  ?

I mean, I get gigabit internet at my job here in the US.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

On ‎2017‎-‎05‎-‎21 at 5:26 PM, AshleyAshes said:

Meanwhile in Canada...

FB_IMG_1495409158147.jpg.2b397fd457f551bdb55edadb3df8ce87.jpg

I'm sorry.....but I have to 1up you here with 150/150 synchronous 

6318906489.png

4 minutes ago, Limecat86 said:

Last weekend I have switched over to a new ISP (Ziggo). Hello 300/30 Mbps. Goodbye 25/1 Mbps.

Yeah, my previous provider was total crap. They provided everything though the phone line (TV/Internet and phone) which resulted in that, when I was downloading something (a game from Steam for example) my girlfriend couldn't watch TV properly as it was stuttering pretty bad. O.o

You have a gf and a kitty?  I'm so jealous.    I want a gf and a kitty too...  Or a gf and a bunny.  

6318909524.png

Here's my speeds at home in the middle of nowhere North Dakota though.

Just now, Bleedingyamato said:

You have a gf and a kitty?  I'm so jealous.    I want a gf and a kitty too...  Or a gf and a bunny.  

Well, start dating and look for good cat/rabbit breeder.

CPU: i7-12700KF Grill Plate Edition // MOBO: Asus Z690-PLUS WIFI D4 // RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200MHz CL14 

GPU: MSI GTX 1080 FE // PSU: Corsair RM750i // CASE: Thermaltake Core X71 // BOOT: Samsung Evo 960 500GB

STORAGE: WD PC SN530 512GB + Samsung Evo 860 500GB // COOLING: Full custom loop // DISPLAY: LG 34UC89G-B

4 minutes ago, kaiju_wars said:

is that FTTN or fixed wireless?

Just now, BubblyCharizard said:

is that FTTN or fixed wireless?

Fiber and I'm connected via Ethernet

image.png

Here's my results when I did a wireless speedtest from my iPhone.

2 minutes ago, kaiju_wars said:

Fiber and I'm connected via Ethernet

hmm....that latency is a little too high to be fiber, I would assume its VDSL, or the ISP has really bad routing 

Just now, BubblyCharizard said:

hmm....that latency is a little too high to be fiber, I would assume its VDSL, or the ISP has really bad routing 

You would assume wrong, I'm telling you, it's fiber.  I work with this shit all the time, and all my ISP offers is fiber.

Just now, kaiju_wars said:

You would assume wrong, I'm telling you, it's fiber.  I work with this shit all the time, and all my ISP offers is fiber.

Weird....I wonder where they messed up the routing paths, looking at their topology, it should be much lower.....maybe you are just on the end of the loop

we get 75/75 for $110. it was actually $130 but Frontier said they can drop our rate to $110. i asked if lowering our plan would save us money, but the rep said that they're trying to get everyone on faster speeds, to phase out the slower plans. it wouldn't be cost-effective to drop to slower speeds. 

there's also this bit that for some reason i never saw before - anonymous billing. apparently our identity is protected if we pay the monthly fee of $10.. 

4 minutes ago, Technicolors said:

there's also this bit that for some reason i never saw before - anonymous billing. apparently our identity is protected if we pay the monthly fee of $10.. 

sounds like a cash grab....I'm glad that the CRTC doesn't allow our ISPs to gouge like that

its also possible that it is related to the phone service to have purchases not displayed? 

20 minutes ago, Limecat86 said:

Well, start dating and look for good cat/rabbit breeder.

Easier said than done for a socially awkward person like myself.  Hopefully I'll find someone eventually.  ?

25 minutes ago, kaiju_wars said:

6318909524.png

The middle of nowhere has rather nice internet.

5 hours ago, NickTheMajin said:

6319124565.png

That's on wifi. If I directly connect I get gigabit. 

How much does that cost you? 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

On 5/22/2017 at 10:32 AM, Misanthrope said:

Kudos on the internet,

Koodo in Canada is actually shit

8 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

I think if I had downloads that fast I'd cry from joy.  ? ?

Though for now I'm happy to finally have around 70mbps.  It doesn't take all day long to download large games thank Godoka.  

Where (as specific as you're comfortable saying) is this magical place with such wonderful internet speeds? ?

Yikes!  With Internet that slow you deserve all the hugs.  ?

Fort Wayne, Indiana. Our ISPs do suck, I had to switch from comcast because of new bandwidth caps (If I bought the Gigabit or 2Gb from them I'd have to still pay extra to remove a 1TB cap, and getting the faster service is hard, they don't want to do it) but there is another ISP here, frontier (not avaible everywhere), that's okish. Used to be comcast was my only choice, and service was not symmetric. When I finally dropped them I got 100/7 and they had just introduced the bandwitdh cap, I have PSvue, it alone uses more than the cap (It's almost like cutting TV competition was the purpose). For large files, it was actually faster to drive home and back from downtown to retrieve them on a disk, despite a pretty fast download speed, the upload was just that bad. I live on the far south side, as close to the rural areas as I can without losing decent internet. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

58 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

Fort Wayne, Indiana. Our ISPs do suck, I had to switch from comcast because of new bandwidth caps (If I bought the Gigabit or 2Gb from them I'd have to still pay extra to remove a 1TB cap, and getting the faster service is hard, they don't want to do it) but there is another ISP here, frontier (not avaible everywhere), that's okish. Used to be comcast was my only choice, and service was not symmetric. When I finally dropped them I got 100/7 and they had just introduced the bandwitdh cap, I have PSvue, it alone uses more than the cap (It's almost like cutting TV competition was the purpose). For large files, it was actually faster to drive home and back from downtown to retrieve them on a disk, despite a pretty fast download speed, the upload was just that bad. I live on the far south side, as close to the rural areas as I can without losing decent internet. 

I see.  Is frontier who you have now?

I don't understand why ISPs or cell providers think people are happy with data caps.  It's like between that and bs tactics such as jacking up bills if and when they feel like it that companies are trying to piss off customers and make them switch to a competitor.  Or in the case of @Zodiark1593 ditch them entirely.