Intel is licensing AMD's Graphics

That's good, I just hope amd linux drivers get a boost now that intel has an interest in it.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

15 minutes ago, Sauron said:

That's good, I just hope amd linux drivers get a boost now that intel has an interest in it.

How would this deal have literally any affect at all on AMD Linux Drivers?

This is, for all we know currently, just a basic graphics IP licensing deal, that will in all likelihood, have nothing to do with actual AMD tech.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

3 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

How would this deal have literally any affect at all on AMD Linux Drivers?

This is, for all we know currently, just a basic graphics IP licensing deal, that will in all likelihood, have nothing to do with actual AMD tech.

I may have assumed too much, but I figured the resulting product would have much in common with amd's gpus. And I also assumed there would be collaboration in writing drivers. But maybe not.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Just now, Sauron said:

I may have assumed too much, but I figured the resulting product would have much in common with amd's gpus. And I also assumed there would be collaboration in writing drivers. But maybe not.

I have no reason to assume either of those assumptions is correct.

Intel's iGPU's never resembled NVIDIA GPU architecture or technology, nor was there any driver collaboration.

Why is everyone assuming this will be any different?

It very well may be, but that's 100% speculation with no basis for fact, at this point.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

I have no reason to assume either of those assumptions is correct.

Intel's iGPU's never resembled NVIDIA GPU architecture or technology, nor was there any driver collaboration.

It very well may be, but that's 100% speculation with no basis for fact, at this point.

I missed the part where they mentioned nvidia, I didn't know they were licensing from them.

Personally I wish they'd just use amd gpus, after all they have worked pretty well in APUs so far.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

3 minutes ago, Sauron said:

I missed the part where they mentioned nvidia, I didn't know they were licensing from them.

Personally I wish they'd just use amd gpus, after all they have worked pretty well in APUs so far.

Intel iGPU's are totally fine for non-gaming applications - and hell, even some light gaming.

AMD is better off in the long run by keeping their actual GPU IP to themselves and building up a good value for buying an AMD APU - especially a Ryzen one.

Give Intel access to Radeon iGPU's? Welp. There goes the biggest reason to buy an AMD APU.

I thought Intel made their own IGPU's. Well this is weird , Intel Using APU made by (obviously) AMD. Feels just weird in my heart

6 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Give Intel access to Radeon iGPU's? Welp. There goes the biggest reason to buy an AMD APU.

Not necessarily given intel's pricing - and making a profit off of their competitor's own cpus would be very compelling given the difference in marketshare.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

14 minutes ago, EasonIDontKnowAnything said:

I thought Intel made their own IGPU's. Well this is weird , Intel Using APU made by (obviously) AMD. Feels just weird in my heart

Intel does make their own iGPU's.

Unfortunately, every critical basic piece of GPU architecture is already patented by both AMD and NVIDIA. So to make a GPU architecture from scratch, you're pretty much guaranteed to accidentally violate one or the other's IP.

NVIDIA sued Intel a while ago and got awarded $1.5bn USD for a license agreement. This was to license IP used in the basic makeup of Intel iGPU's.

Intel has decided (apparently) to license that IP (or similar, comparable IP, anyway) from AMD instead.

Intel will not be using APU's or iGPU's made by AMD. Intel will continue to use the same iGPU's it made before.

9 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Not necessarily given intel's pricing - and making a profit off of their competitor's own cpus would be very compelling given the difference in marketshare.

True but there's a line that makes financial sense, and I think this crosses it.

AMD is already going to make a profit from Intel iGPU sales, due to the IP licensing agreement (though we don't know the details, whether it's a lump-sum, a per-year (or some other ongoing time frame), or a per-sale fee).

If Intel actually licenses full-on AMD tech, AMD would either:

1. Force AMD/Radeon branding, which Intel is unlikely to agree to, or

2. If not forcing branding, still be giving their competitor advanced tech that could impact their marketshare

In the long run, if we assume AMD isn't going bankrupt, then it is in AMD's best interests to only license basic graphics IP, and not more advanced things.

11 minutes ago, EasonIDontKnowAnything said:

1.5 b? damn I thought Nvidia and Intel were bffs.

That is a huge misconception. They work well together because they are largest market share holders in their respective markets. It forces them to somewhat make their products work well with each other.

Easiest way to phrase it that I can do right now.

19 minutes ago, EasonIDontKnowAnything said:

1.5 b? damn I thought Nvidia and Intel were bffs.

5 minutes ago, Dylanc1500 said:

That is a huge misconception. They work well together because they are largest market share holders in their respective markets. It forces them to somewhat make their products work well with each other.

Easiest way to phrase it that I can do right now.

Indeed, Intel and NVIDIA are "friends" in so much as most of their products don't directly compete with each other.

It's the biggest reason they are "friendlier" than say AMD and Intel or AMD and NVIDIA. AMD competes directly, head to head, with various product segments, against both companies.

Intel and NVIDIA have a bit of competition in the mobile devices space (ARM vs Atom, etc) and as well in Machine Learning/Compute workloads (Phi vs Tesla, etc). But by and large, most of their main product segments are isolated.

7 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Because speculation and assumption are closely related. The problem here seems to be that people assume based on lateral desires rather than speculate based on possible reasoning.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

13 minutes ago, tsk said:

Yep, confirms this is fake and thread can be locked. 

https://techreport.com/news/31933/no-intel-is-not-putting-radeons-in-its-cpus

Funny thing is Kyle Bennet is doubling down on his original statement.

https://hardforum.com/threads/from-ati-to-amd-back-to-ati-a-journey-in-futility-h.1900681/page-77#post-1043006730

1hiGJSU.jpg

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

On 5/17/2017 at 4:26 PM, dalekphalm said:

NVIDIA sued Intel a while ago and got awarded $1.5bn USD for a license agreement. This was to license IP used in the basic makeup of Intel iGPU's.

That lawsuit was more about chipsets rather than iGPU's.

Please avoid feeding the argumentative narcissistic academic monkey.

"the last 20 percent – going from demo to production-worthy algorithm – is both hard and is time-consuming. The last 20 percent is what separates the men from the boys" - Mobileye CEO

14 minutes ago, Tomsen said:

That lawsuit was more about chipsets rather than iGPU's.

True but GPU tech was involved in any case, and Intel was forced to license NVIDIA IP just to continue development and sales on the in-house Intel iGPU.

it's funny, if you go back and read news reports and threads from 2011 and so on, you'll see people "claiming" the same thing - that Intel was gonna put NVIDIA GeForce GPU's inside Intel CPU's. Did that happen? Hell no. It won't happen with AMD either.

28 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

True but GPU tech was involved in any case, and Intel was forced to license NVIDIA IP just to continue development and sales on the in-house Intel iGPU.

it's funny, if you go back and read news reports and threads from 2011 and so on, you'll see people "claiming" the same thing - that Intel was gonna put NVIDIA GeForce GPU's inside Intel CPU's. Did that happen? Hell no. It won't happen with AMD either.

The GPU tech was simply an extension from their 2004 license agreement. Nvidia would probably also be forced to license Intel IP just to continue development on Denver.

Nvidia had the upper hand in that negotiations, because of some of the shady practices Intel took in use (trying to take nvidia out of the chipset business).

Yeah, history repeats itself, and morons repeats their misunderstanding of the market. Really worrying that this is actually blowing up as it is, and people foolish falling for pseudo intelligent statements with no real world practicality.

Please avoid feeding the argumentative narcissistic academic monkey.

"the last 20 percent – going from demo to production-worthy algorithm – is both hard and is time-consuming. The last 20 percent is what separates the men from the boys" - Mobileye CEO