keylogger found in preinstalled audio driver on HP laptops

zMeul
45 minutes ago, zMeul said:

at this point no one seems to know or point out if this package is HP's own doing or is it Conexant's own release

Sounds more like Conexant as HP don't create the drivers, sometimes they repackage them but it's only a self executing binary with HP branding but the drivers and software being installed are not created or maintained by HP.

The drivers that HP do actually make are the keyboard hot key ones that do all the functions like screen brightness, volume, wifi on/off etc.

Whenever I've gotten in new models of computers and are preparing them for mass deployment I actually go get the drivers directly from the chip maker rather than from the OEM website, HP in this example. Often the drivers they have on the support page for the device are not the most up to date.

As for HP not bothering to respond that is rather crap, they may not have been allowed to as they might have been talking to Conexant but two weeks seems a bit long.

P.S. Fan bloody tastic our network is full of these HP system, thousands of them. Fuuuuuuuck.

And people wonder where my paranoia comes from. 

Microsoft really needs to design a patch that prohibits this key logging. Virtual keyboards already do that.

Just now, leadeater said:

Sounds more like Conexant as HP don't create the drivers, sometimes they repackage them but it's only a self executing binary with HP branding but the drivers and software being installed are not created or maintained by HP.

The drivers that HP do actually make are the keyboard hot key ones that do all the functions like screen brightness, volume, wifi on/off etc.

this is true, but the function of that exe is to monitor the mic mute function key ;)

this might, or might not, be HP's doing

Just now, mynameisjuan said:

And people wonder where my paranoia comes from. 

Microsoft really needs to design a patch that prohibits this key logging. Virtual keyboards already do that.

you mean allowing only their own MS Labs certified keylogger xD

I mean who really cares at this point, the programs most people run keylog anyway and then on top of that Windows 10 and Google are constantly mining you for telemetry data. 

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

this is true, but the function of that exe is to monitor the mic mute function key ;)

this might, or might not, be HP's doing

Nah very confident that is totally on Conexant. It's their software, just like Realtek tray software when they used them in previous models. HP does very very little of anything driver related to their devices.

FYI I personally created some of the driver packages for a few Acer New Zeleand laptops, was a joint agreement between the company I was working for and Acer to close a sale they were working on. The client wanted SCCM validated driver packages they could import and use with zero effort, chip makers create the drivers and management/tray software not HP/Acer/Lenovo etc. All I did was download the drivers, import them in to SCCM, deploy to the laptops to validate everything installs correctly, package them up in a zip file and send that to Acer, was the easiest money we made ever lol.

That's not to say those brands don't create their own custom bullshit software and load that on the default image that comes with the device but those aren't drivers.

44 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Here's my solution (not really but it's a nice aside anyways) We need a laptop form factor to build on. Even if it is kinda chunky I'll take that over pre-built laptops any day.

They have a Eurocom laptop that uses full desktop chips, but all the parts are proprietary.

3600X @ stocke | 5600XT TUF OC @ 1850 | 2x16 + 2x8 RAM 3200 HD | 1tb Samsung 970 EVO Plus | Lian Li 205M | TT Toughpower Grand RGB 850 | throwaway b450 asus mobo | BQ cooler

13 minutes ago, leadeater said:

P.S. Fan bloody tastic our network is full of these HP system, thousands of them. Fuuuuuuuck.

My condolences. Cant you send out a gpo script that upon boot to remove the exe?

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

27 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

"The series was designed, developed, and sold by IBM until Lenovo acquired the brand in 2005."

Dw mate, I also used IBM ThinkPads. Literally nothing on them that says Lenovo anywhere, bought and sold by IBM, serviced by IBM and IBM branding all over them until Lenovo took over that side of the business.

4 minutes ago, goodtofufriday said:

My condolences. Cant you send out a gpo script that upon boot to remove the exe?

Luckily it's not my problem to fix lol, but I'll happily pass on this shit sandwich to the correct people and they'll love me for it muahaha. We'll likely fix it using SCCM.

How is that different from Windows?

Spoiler

5436193+_7ea06896c7370be5fea4ab09c6dbda9

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

1 minute ago, suicidalfranco said:

How is that different from Windows?

Reveal hidden contents

5436193+_7ea06896c7370be5fea4ab09c6dbda9

difference is at least micorsoft doesnt leave it in a fucking plain text file

isnt this illegal , or are they going to 'word this' differently?

Details separate people.

I have on my work laptop. It is a good thing I have disabled it ages ago, as I noticed that when the speakers are mutes, when you start typing on the keyboard after a short moment of idle, the speakers would do a small 'pop' sound. Very annoying. Plus, as a habit I remove all the crap that I don't care. If anyone wonders, everything continues to work just fine.

All IBM cares nowadays is those bots and AI, what is it called? IBM Watson?

A shame really they were kickass back in the mainstream PCs and Mainframes business days, including the ThinkPad... not that Lenovo is a bad company but for me IBM name will always weight far more than "Lenovo"... power of Tradition.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

36 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Well I think HP should be responsible to verify those drivers before loading them.

It's on dozens of their business laptops.....not cheapo potato netbooks...

So much confidential information could be typed on them.

and HP didn't seem to think this would be a bad thing? Storing something that logs ALL typing in plain text on your PC? Christ.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

Looks like my new spetre isn't on the list. Back to my life now.

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4

1 hour ago, L.Lawliet said:

What a backstabbing motherf*cker..glad i dont have a laptop.

Don't think it's just laptops.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

1 minute ago, L.Lawliet said:

It is but stealing personal information? Wtf dude..

Its has gone too far

What are you yakking about?!

Not having a laptop does not mean your immune to this. IMO they need to further investigate whether it's just those HP laptops that have those problems or every computer out there that uses the Conexant audio codec along with that specific audio driver.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

Luckily my Hp craptop wasnt affected (that we know of) but that is really dumb of Hp to do that

College student getting his Information Systems Degree, Furry, Gamer, Amateur Poet

Luna

Intel Core i9 7940x, Custom Water Loop, EVGA x299 Micro, 4x8 GB kit of Gskill Trident Z RGB DDR4-3000, Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme 1080ti, 3 Tb's of SSD storage, 5TB HDD, 850 Watt EVGA Supernova g3, all inside a black and purple r1 from Parvum Systems

Laptops:

Anubis: Powerspec 1510 (sager NP8157)

Lucario: Razer Blade Stealth v4 (base model) this is my daily driver

Just now, L.Lawliet said:

I am talking about thief and i know that, its obvious..

But my point is that why they do it for?

For the obvious reasons why a thief wants to get someone's personal information. As for why the driver does that, then they be drunk when they were writing it.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

1 hour ago, Crossbred said:

They have a Eurocom laptop that uses full desktop chips, but all the parts are proprietary.

Well then that's not very useful I mean something akin to AIO kits but for laptops. Obviously GPU and CPU cooling solutions would be far more limited but I'd take a slightly slower rig I build over this key logging dickheads.

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 hour ago, Princess Cadence said:

All IBM cares nowadays is those bots and AI, what is it called? IBM Watson?

A shame really they were kickass back in the mainstream PCs and Mainframes business days, including the ThinkPad... not that Lenovo is a bad company but for me IBM name will always weight far more than "Lenovo"... power of Tradition.

IBM actually still produces mainframes. They actually just released Power 9 which was developed to have Volta used along side of it, as it has been optimized for it.