Samsung Ready For Mass Production Of High Resolution 560ppi Displays

Youbetternot

Phones with 560ppi to be Mass produced? Well Samsung is making that happen, they plan on Mass producing phones with 2560 x 1440 and 560ppi. It is reported that high resolution and 560ppi will be featured on the S5 next year. How much will it be? you can bet quiet some money. The 560ppi is basically useless because it is so high, that you won't even be able to tell the difference.

5439-33c274f5_680_400.jpg

Earlier this month, we have reported that Samsung is planning 64-bit 4K Ultra HD smartphones. While many of us were pretty skeptical about Ultra HD displays, it looks like the company is almost ready for mass production of high resolution 560ppi displays.

One of the rumoured smartphones to have such high resolution would be the Galaxy S5. While it is still too early to talk about the phone, having 560ppi display will definitely be one of the key features of the handset and with LG closing the gap with its WQHD (2560 x 1440 pixels) mobile displays.

source: http://www.nextpowerup.com/news/5439/samsung-ready-for-mass-production-of-high-resolution-560ppi-displays.html

# -_-     [Planned RIg AKA Project ARES    -_-#

| AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core | Be Quiet DARK ROCK 2 57.9 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z  |G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM |Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" SSD | Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB  |Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower|Gelid Solutions Silent 14 PWM 74.5 CFM 140mm x3 |Corsair RM Series 750 Watt ATX/EPS 80PLUS Gold-Certified Power Supply|

|Rosewill RNX-N250PCe | Windows 8  | Acer H236HLbid 23.0" |Corsair Vengeance K70 
Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser | STEELSERIES QCK Black|Sennheiser HD 558Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer         

If only there were Monitor-sized phone that could shrink itself. More resolution on phones is useless since it's not like you'll be watching Netflix or any movie or actual video on it... That's what your TV/Monitor is for...

560ppi phones?!

squidward-future.jpeg

My Build Log on PCPartPicker FX-6300, ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3, MSI 7870 GHz Edition, Corsair Vengeance LP 1x8GB, 1TB WD Blue, Fractal Core 1000 USB 3.0, Corsair CX600, and my most recent addition that I've had forever and isnt new is a 80GB WD800 for Linux, Lenovo ThinkPad X131e, ASUS Transformer TF300T, Galaxy Note 3 Sister dropped it in a puddle I now have to use a Samsung Brightside, Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm version, Blue Yeti  #TheRealKEH-JEFF | "Sometimes, if were lucky, in Australia, a family has 2 kangaroos to pick up the kids with" - marto | Your entry here | Remember kids; just because Linus has a video on it, doesn't mean that its the best choice | ts3.wferr.com the best TeamSpeak Abide by the CoC | Looking for build help? Read this before posting |

Yet we still cant have 8k monitors/TVs

<p>Wires Suck :angry:
!fY0|_|(4|\|R34[)7#!5PMM37#3(0[)3:1337 70833|\|73R3[)!|\|49!\/34\|/4Y 4|\|[)93741!f3

Good job, Samsung?

Available from 3pm to Midnight Eastern Time (GMT-5). (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) (>'-')> You can't stop the kirby dance. 

4770k | Gigabyte GTX 970 Mini | Lian Li PC-TU100B | MSI Z87I 2x8GB G.Skill Sniper | Noctua NH-L9i Silverstone Strider 450W SFX | Windows 10 | 2x 250GB 840 Evo Rad 0 1x 1TB WD 2.5" | 25% gaming, 25% CAD and rendering, and 50% web browsing.

More resolution on phones is useless since it's not like you'll be watching Netflix or any movie or actual video on it

True, but it's not entirely useless.... don't forget about things like viewing photos, and reading, more ppi also makes text a lot sharper as well as making smaller text easier to read. Having said that...I think they have gone a bit over the top, I personally find 1080p phone screens to be more than sufficient.

Let's see.

A 2560x1440p monitor costs about 700$ currently. (Ebay Korean ones aside)

A high-end smartphone costs about that price too, including screen, battery, enclosure, sensors, antennae, speakers and camera.

I have a 5-inch 1080p phone and you can't even see the pixels if you try.

So, could we maybe try to make cheaper 1440p monitors before cramming twice that into smartphones where they're absolutely useless and will lower performance?

Samsung pls.

CPU: Intel 3930K @ 4.6GHz || MOBO: Asus P9X79-E WS || GPU: 2x Nvidia GTX Titans || CASE: Fractal Design Define XL R2 || PSU: Corsair AX1200i

RAM: 32GB Dominator Platinum @ 2100 MHz || Storage: 240GB Samsung 840 Pro & 2TB Seagate Barracuda || Sound: Asus Xonar Essence STX

Peripherals: Samsung S27B970D - Asus PB23HQ - Logitech MX Revolution - Corsair K95 - Samson Meteor Mic - Logitech C920 - Bowers&Wilkins MM-1

JUST MAKE PHONES CHEAPER! 

I like the color scheme of Noctua fans. Deal with it. Forget about the bad memories of the past.

"wunder you really are as straight as a rainbow" - Lanoi "can I fisterino your nose" - WunderWuffle

Forget about the bad memories of the past, take the good ones along with you through the present, and look forwards to the good things that will come in the future.

Can we have affordable 24 and 27 inch 1440p monitors before we do 1440p phones. I mean come one. This is a little ridiculous.

It's Samsung, they do what they want. If they want 1440p phones to be mainstream they can.

| AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core | Be Quiet DARK ROCK 2 57.9 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z  |G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM |Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" SSD | Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB  |Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower|Gelid Solutions Silent 14 PWM 74.5 CFM 140mm x3 |Corsair RM Series 750 Watt ATX/EPS 80PLUS Gold-Certified Power Supply|

|Rosewill RNX-N250PCe | Windows 8  | Acer H236HLbid 23.0" |Corsair Vengeance K70 
Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser | STEELSERIES QCK Black|Sennheiser HD 558Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer         

Higher res display tech is great!

But make it across the board! We need 24 inch 2560x1440 displays!

If Samsung made a PLS 2560X1440 display @23piz23mitch-24 inches, they would fly off the shelves.

Also, faster mobile GPU's will be necessary to drive the resolution.

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

Useless right now, but I can see this really becoming a thing later down the road, but since Samsung is going to be doing on their S5, it's basically going to becomes mainstream with the S5.

Anyways, I'm all for it, but I'm worried about the battery life. If the battery life isn't too bad, maybe I'll get an S5.

COMIC SANS

Useless right now, but I can see this really becoming a thing later down the road, but since Samsung is going to be doing on their S5, it's basically going to becomes mainstream with the S5.

Anyways, I'm all for it, but I'm worried about the battery life. If the battery life isn't too bad, maybe I'll get an S5.

It's Samsung they will do a good job balancing everything out

It's Samsung they will do a good job balancing everything out

Oh I'm sure they will, but it will still be interesting to see those battery performance numbers none the less.

COMIC SANS

So a 1440p smartphone that costs $600 with 3gbs ram, tegra 5, touchscreen, LTE capable costs more money than a 1440p display. Yes I know it's bigger on cost of materials, but FUCKING SHIT

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

They would probably need to make a bigger battery in order to power this display. Personally I find that 1080p screens is enough for a phone.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

720 is good enough for average sized phones, 1080 is a premium but not that big of a difference in the sub 4.8 inch category.

Yeah above 4.8 you can notice a difference. But 1440P in a 4.8 inch screen? No, that's a waste.

Still it's a step in the right direction, not for screens necessarily but for mobile graphics. 

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

There is never enough PPI!

Especially if it means that a dead pixel is no longer visible to the human eye... it is USEFUL!

We really need 8K on TVs and not 1440p on phones.
4K is on a 32" inch TV is just 137ppi !!!
1080p on most TVs is 60-40ppi :(

RTX2070OC