Just picked up the Aorus XTreme 1080 Ti and feeling kind of pissy. Does this seem normal to you?

Business Corgi

I have the aorus 1080 ti, no problems at all. Auto boosts up too 1900 when playing games or stress testing, don't even have to overclock it myself!

All while only reaching 70 degrees Celsius at 50% fan speed.

You most likely just got a bad card considering mine isn't even an xtreme.

Edit: ALso yea newegg freaking sucks. Talked to them about the outage of xtreme cards because someone there messed up andf they avoided my questions like the plague. Try going through Gigabytes warranty since they have a 4 year warranty included with every card.

I had a founder card, an Asus, it was fine but I didn't want to add a cooler because I didn't want to void the warranty. 

There's no doubt as to what I'll be getting to replace it.

Something EVGA. I've had bad dealings with Asus in the past, and MSI can't even put enough effort into getting things like spelling and grammar correct on their own website. Though to be fair I've never had to deal with their support directly.

EVGA maybe fucked up a bit but so far they're the only ones I would give a big fat F for customer service.

Gigabyte so far is the absolute worst. I will never buy from them again. Asus is worth the risk in terms of motherboards where I rarely spend more than $175.

I have the Gigabyte Gaming OC (lower tier model of the same brand, at 700 MSRP) with 3 80mm fans and a smaller heatsink than your card, so thermals should be much worse than the Aorus Extreme. Well, in my case it gets between 72-75C at 100% load (4K games with no vsync), 76 at max with the stock fan curve (52% or so on the fans). Clockspeeds, while they can drop to 1797, they usually are in the 1848-1860 Mhz range, 1911-1924 at best. With overclocking at fans at 65-70% temps are exactly the same, and go as high as 78C if I leave the stock fan curve while overclocking.

Probably the thermal paste was badly put in your card, but still, weird.

5 hours ago, Ducks_McGoo said:

There's no doubt as to what I'll be getting to replace it.

Something EVGA. I've had bad dealings with Asus in the past, and MSI can't even put enough effort into getting things like spelling and grammar correct on their own website. Though to be fair I've never had to deal with their support directly.

EVGA maybe fucked up a bit but so far they're the only ones I would give a big fat F for customer service.

Gigabyte so far is the absolute worst. I will never buy from them again. Asus is worth the risk in terms of motherboards where I rarely spend more than $175.

Only thing I can tell thatts good from gigabyte is cheap but very very sturdy mobos. I've had a PSU blow up on me and that board is still chugging.

Yea, I've heard bad stories about RMAing GPU's. Gigabyte gets it, bangs it up and claims you did it and send it back to you... really bad stories.

What really sucks is you got totally boned. Those cards are supposed to be the best of the best and yours won't even do stock... that's unacceptable. I'd charge that back to the CC if possible. Just avoid... Send it back to Newegg with proof and then dispute it. Good luck man... I feel ya.

I saw Jay2cents give such a great review and he was getting mega overclocks with it too. He was saying the Aorus software should be used though. It lets you go to 150% not 130% like most software. I'm not sure that will matter but you might want to try their software and uninstall EVGA Precision.  (As a last resort).

3 minutes ago, alphaproject said:

Yea, I've heard bad stories about RMAing GPU's. Gigabyte gets it, bangs it up and claims you did it and send it back to you... really bad stories.

What really sucks is you got totally boned. Those cards are supposed to be the best of the best and yours won't even do stock... that's unacceptable. I'd charge that back to the CC if possible. Just avoid... Send it back to Newegg with proof and then dispute it. Good luck man... I feel ya.

I saw Jay2cents give such a great review and he was getting mega overclocks with it too. He was saying the Aorus software should be used though. It lets you go to 150% not 130% like most software. I'm not sure that will matter but you might want to try their software and uninstall EVGA Precision.  (As a last resort).

Gigabyte's binning process is a farce, and overclocks in reviews involving their graphics cards should in general be ignored as the silicon lottery after their binning is only a tad better than what you'd get from reference cards-which are perfect for aftermarket cooling which can be far better than what you'd get from graphics card vendors.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

On 4/25/2017 at 4:13 PM, Ducks_McGoo said:

Does this seem normal?

I can't add anything more to the core clock without crashes and I adding to the memory clock only adds about 30Mhz per every 100Mhz I add manually.

It may be defective?

I ended up getting an exchange for an MSI card. We'll see how this works out...

Much, MUCH better. I realize the fan curve is somewhat aggressive but look at that flat, flat line. I only ran Heaven at 1080P so I could look at this data and putz around while it was running. I've run it for an hour or so at these settings completely stable.

No bluescreens. Runs significantly cooler. Much, much happier with this card overall. Also quieter. Untitled.thumb.jpg.e67e0a90812880dbb21b0802b9eeb933.jpg

20 hours ago, Ducks_McGoo said:

I ended up getting an exchange for an MSI card. We'll see how this works out...

Which one, the Gaming X, Aero, Armor, or Duke?

-----> Official Unofficial Favorite Keyswitch Type Survey <-----

OWNER OF THE FASTEST INTEL iGPU ON LTT UNIGINE SUPERPOSITION [lol]

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

CPU i5-13600k | COOLING Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm (White) | MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4 | GPU Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision OC (White) | RAM  16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB (White)SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | PSU ASUS STRIX 850W (White)CASE  Phanteks G360a (White) | HEADPHONES  Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro | KEYBOARD Zoom75 (KTT Strawberry w/ GMK British Racing Green keycaps) | MOUSE  Cooler Master MM711 (White) MONITOR HP X32 1440p 165hz IPS

WORK RIG "OVERPRICED BRICK"

Mac Studio (M2 Ultra / 128GB / 1TB) | HEADPHONES  AirPods Pro 2 | KEYBOARD Logitech MX Mechanical Mini | MOUSE  Logitech MX Master 3S MONITOR 2x Dell 4K 32"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

CPU i7-4770K OC @ 4.3GHz | COOLING Cryorig M9i (review| MOTHERBOARD ASUS Z87-PROGPU Gigabyte 1650 Super Windforce OC | RAM  16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 MHzSSD Samsung 860 Evo 512GB | HDD Toshiba 3TB 7200RPMPSU EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750WCASE  NZXT H230 | HEADPHONES  Sony WH-1000XM3  | KEYBOARD Corsair STRAFE - Cherry MX Brown | MOUSE  Logitech G602 MONITOR LG 34UM58-P 34" Ultrawide

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

GET YOUR ASS ON NIGHT THEME

OTHER TECH I OWN:

MacBook Pro 16" [M1 Pro/32GB/1TB] | 2022 Volkswagen GTI | iPhone 14 Pro | Sony a6000 | Apple Watch Series 8 45mm | 2018 MBP 15" | Lenovo Flex 3 [i7-5500U, HD5500 (fastest on the forum), 8GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Evo] | PS5, Xbox One & Nintendo Switch [Home Theater setup] | DJI Phantom 3 Standard | AirPods 2 | Jaybird Freedom (two pairs) & X2 [long story, PM if you want to know why I have 3 pairs of Jaybirds]

On 4/26/2017 at 7:37 PM, App4that said:

The reference 1080ti is already overkill as far as the PCB and power delivery goes. You paid 50 bucks for a cooler. It's a fallacy that a custom card overclocks better, it just runs cooler as it's not using a blower style cooler. 

So true.  With my 1080 SLI and now my 1080 Ti SLI, I've had great success with just binning FE cards and then throwing water blocks on the highest binned cards I can find.  Rarely see anyone do better with fancy power delivery solutions.  It's just the way it is with Pascal.  The power delivery on the 1080 Ti FE is already overbuilt. 

2 hours ago, Shiv78 said:

Which one, the Gaming X, Aero, Armor, or Duke?

Gaming X