What ruins the game most for you?

filipcro

yeah i don't know what is worse

but skyrim shadow flickering  was one of the worst stuff I ever saw in gaming 

Or when a texture completely fails to load. That happened once in GTA IV on my Xbox, so all of the orange Dukes were basically clear (except for the bottom of the car, the engine, interior, and so on), and it was just weird.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

What a dumb thing to say, the whole point of gaming is that it's an interactive, immersive experience.

What a dumb thing to say, the entire point of gaming is to have fun and enjoy what the creator made for you.  Whether you game as a male or female character has absolutely no bearing whatsoever on the experience.  If you need to pretend that you're the main character (literally) to enjoy a game then you need a serious reality check.  What you guys are saying is like saying:  "I won't watch a movie with a female main character because I can't pretend I'm the main character" or "I won't read a book with a female main character because it's not enjoyable".  That's ridiculous, just because you're controlling the action doesn't mean you are the main character.  You're playing the main character, you aren't becoming the main character.

The only exception is in RPGs when you're creating a character from scratch, not being given an established character and told a story (MMORPGs and sandbox games like Skyrim or Dragon Age).  Even traditional RPGs like FF give you a main character and tell THEIR story, not yours. 

As for the OP question: 

1) Bad control.  If there is something obviously stupid about a game (like not being able to jump in FFXI or FFXIV before ARR launched) or if I can't seem to get my sensitivity right (The original Bioshock).  I need to feel like playing the game is intuitive, that I have full control over the character without having to contort myself to hit a million macros.

2) Gameplay that is too Linear.  I played a couple hours of FFXIII and was disgusted by how linear the gameplay was, there was no exploration, no variety in areas and the maps seemed to be very one dimentional where I was corralled to the next cutscene.  Just make a movie if that's what you intend to do, if I'm playing an RPG I want to explore a bit (not too much, but at least a little) and then get to the story in my own time.  The flipside is also bad, too open ended.  Games like Skyrim have always bothered me a bit because I feel like there isn't anything motivating me to do the story, I just get thrown into the world and now I'm living there.  I need some goal in sight, it's a balance for me.  I want some open ended and some linear, not too much or too little of either...

Animations are a big one for me. Sometimes the door animations are so bad in Witcher 2.

"An Excellent Signature"

When a game forces me to play it in a particular way for no apparent reason. If the game takes itself too seriously, while it's clearly not the point (Modern shooter campaigns as an example).

"Forced" game mechanics is another thing. I cant get myself to play Hitman:Absolution because of that disguise mechanic.

Controls, useless features, too many focus on graphics. Mainly what the gaming industry has done in the last 3 years.... That's why i still play the original Tetris :P

I did a quick browse in the topic and I don't believe this was mentioned:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GameplayAndStorySegregation

That's an excellent trope, it really is jarring.

Pretty much every Mass Effect is inundated with it. All the characters in cutscenes are skilled badasses but ingame they are drooling useless imbeciles.

Imagine female gamers feel having to play as men all the time, tomb raider is not the only good game you know

Intel I7 2600k @ 4.5ghz, Asetek 510 LC Xtremegear liquid cooling system, PALIT GTX 780 Super Jetstream OC, 8Gb Kingston Hyper X blu series 1600mhz, 64Gb Crucial M4 series SATA III Gaming MLC SSD, 1TB Western Digital HDD 6.0gb/s,  Asus P8z68-v Pro Motherboard, Corsair Vengance K90 Keyboard,950Watt Cyberpower PSU, Cyborg RAT 5 ,  Coolermaster CM 690II case, Dell Ultrasharp U2412M 1920 x 1200

micro-transactions in a paid for game

Corsair 550D / i5-4690k @4.6GHz / Asus Maximus VII Hero / Asus GTX 980 Strix @1.6Ghz / Corsair Vengeance Pro 8G (2x4096) 2400MHz / Corsair HX 850w / Corsair Neutron GTX 120g SSD / Segate 2TB + 8g Hybrid

When something new is introduced near the end of the game, and you don't even use it at all. (Mostly Turn-Based RPGs do that)

FPS Games with no FOV option (Can't play CoD without going to the washroom every 2 seconds)

When it can't launch because it fails to utilize DirectX 8 (Red Faction)

When the graphics suck, but lags due to poor optimization (GTA IV, WAR Z)

When you know its a console to PC port (Sonic Adventure DX, Sonic Adventure 2)

Day 1 DLC

Skin DLC

On-disc DLC

Gun DLC

Expensive DLC

A lot of DLC

When the game is on sale, but the DLC isn't

Character DLC (when it adds more characters but it doesn't do anything)

yay first post

"With every meeting, comes a parting. However, not every parting has to last forever."

• 2 weeks later...

And what I really hate is bad looking Unreal Engine 3 games you can make this on Unreal Engine 3:

samaritan_epic_games.jpg

That is Actually a live render... it wasn't pre-rendered it was rendered using a GTX 680 and is very possible in UDK to achieve.

Also the Player pollycount is only 22k

Most characters in games sit around 24-36K polly.

This is also a live render on a GTX 780 using in game graphics however this is UE4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dO2rM-l-vdQ

Character artist in the Games industry.

That is Actually a live render... it wasn't pre-rendered it was rendered using a GTX 680 and is very possible in UDK to achieve.

Also the Player pollycount is only 22k

Most characters in games sit around 24-36K polly.

This is also a live render on a GTX 780 using in game graphics however this is UE4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dO2rM-l-vdQ

Actually the UE4 Tech Demo also runs on a single GTX680.

I wonder what you could do with a GTX780 TI or next Year with Maxwell O_O

Here is a Link where you can also download the uncompressed video file it's 5,7GB:

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/infiltrator-gtx-680-powered-unreal-engine-4-tech-demo-unveiled

RTX2070OC 

When you wait a long time for a game and its a flop *cough Duke Nukem forever *Cough. If a game is buggy, for example I had lots of issues with Resident Evil 6 to the point I haven't even played it in months because it kept crashing. I know others had issues too. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

When you wait a long time for a game and its a flop *cough Duke Nukem forever *Cough. If a game is buggy, for example I had lots of issues with Resident Evil 6 to the point I haven't even played it in months because it kept crashing. I know others had issues too.

The missions in Duke Nukem Forever were very short. I swear that the loading times were longer...

micro-transactions in a paid for game

This.

Le Bastardo+ 

i7 4770k + OCUK Fathom HW labs Black Ice 240 rad + Mayhem's Gigachew orange + 16GB Avexir Core Orange 2133 + Gigachew GA-Z87X-OC + 2x Gigachew WF 780Ti SLi + SoundBlaster Z + 1TB Crucial M550 + 2TB Seagate Barracude 7200rpm + LG BDR/DVDR + Superflower Leadex 1KW Platinum + NZXT Switch 810 Gun Metal + Dell U2713H + Logitech G602 + Ducky DK-9008 Shine 3 MX Brown

Red Alert

FX 8320 AMD = Noctua NHU12P = 8GB Avexir Blitz 2000 = ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 = Sapphire Radeon R9 290 TRI-X = 1TB Hitachi Deskstar & 500GB Hitachi Deskstar = Samsung DVDR/CDR = SuperFlower Golden Green HX 550W 80 Plus Gold = Xigmatek Utguard = AOC 22" LED 1920x1080 = Logitech G110 = SteelSeries Sensei RAW