4K gaming. keep current system or get new system?

I cant deside if its time to let my old X58 system go or i just shut keep it a while longer and maybe just upgrade GPU. Main reason for upgrade is 4K gaming in a very near future, right now i gaming in 2K or 1920 x 1200 but after i come home again later this year from studying in a nother country i want a new 4K monitor and for that i want to get my pc ready for that task now.

System spec is a following.

I7 980X @ 4.25 GHz cooled by an Noctua NH-D14 and 3 120 MM fans and thermal grizzly kryonaul thermal paste

ASUS  ASUS P6X58D PREMIUM second gen X58 with USB 3.0 and sata 3.

12 GB triple channel DDR3 1600 MHz corsair memory (6 x 2 GB)

Samsung 950 PRO 256 GB M.2 NVMe SSD for OS and games

Crusial M4 64 GB SSD for games (my old OS drive thats now has been retired) 

SAMSUNG EVO 250 GB SSD for games 

CRUCIAL MX300 275 GB SSD for games

2 x WD Velociraptor 150 GB 10000 RPM in software raid 0 for older games. 

WD Caviar Black 1 TB for storage

WD AV-GP 2 TB for storage

2 x Zotac GTX 970 in sli

Thermaltake ToughPower 1500 Watt PSU

its is all put in a Antec Twelve Hundred case.

Windows 10 PRO 64 bits OS

Im thinking my self a X99 based system if i change my current X58 setup and a GTX 1080 Ti (later get another used 1080 TI for sli and then i shut have desent power for 4K).

So what you guys say. Keep X58 and just upgrade GPU or slaugther piggy bank and get a X99 based system. To be fair im not much in to AMD so that is not my plan to get.

4 minutes ago, Intelfreak said:

I cant deside if its time to let my old X58 system go or i just shut keep it a while longer and maybe just upgrade GPU. Main reason for upgrade is 4K gaming in a very near future, right now i gaming in 2K or 1920 x 1200 but after i come home again later this year from studying in a nother country i want a new 4K monitor and for that i want to get my pc ready for that task now.

System spec is a following.

I7 980X @ 4.25 GHz cooled by an Noctua NH-D14 and 3 120 MM fans and thermal grizzly kryonaul thermal paste

ASUS  ASUS P6X58D PREMIUM second gen X58 with USB 3.0 and sata 3.

12 GB triple channel DDR3 1600 MHz corsair memory (6 x 2 GB)

Samsung 950 PRO 256 GB M.2 NVMe SSD for OS and games

Crusial M4 64 GB SSD for games (my old OS drive thats now has been retired) 

SAMSUNG EVO 250 GB SSD for games 

CRUCIAL MX300 275 GB SSD for games

2 x WD Velociraptor 150 GB 10000 RPM in software raid 0 for older games. 

WD Caviar Black 1 TB for storage

WD AV-GP 2 TB for storage

2 x Zotac GTX 970 in sli

Thermaltake ToughPower 1500 Watt PSU

its is all put in a Antec Twelve Hundred case.

Windows 10 PRO 64 bits OS

Im thinking my self a X99 based system if i change my current X58 setup and a GTX 1080 Ti (later get another used 1080 TI for sli and then i shut have desent power for 4K).

So what you guys say. Keep X58 and just upgrade GPU or slaugther piggy bank and get a X99 based system. To be fair im not much in to AMD so that is not my plan to get.

You won't be able to do 4k gaming that well. You will run out of vram on the 970. 

I'm not completely sure if you should upgrade the cpu or not. 

You could always buy the gpu now and if you need the CPU upgrade after you try it then get it then.

Why would you buy x99 now when x299 is just 2~ish months away from release?

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

GTX 1080, 24gb RAM, and Xeon 5680. Keep the X58.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

4 minutes ago, Unexas. said:

You won't be able to do 4k gaming that well. You will run out of vram on the 970. 

You could always buy the gpu now and if you need the CPU upgrade after you try it then get it then.

I am well aware that 970 is not for 4K. That is also why i planning on at least getting a new GPU.

4 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Why would you buy x99 now when x299 is just 2~ish months away from release?

Oh a new chipset again intel. Well that might be better waiting for that then since i use to keep my systems for a longer period before retire them. I will be thinking on that for sure.

6 minutes ago, Ethocreeper said:

get ryzen 7 or 5 and a 1080ti

AMD is just not my thing. They dosent overclock that great and that is an importent thing for me and as far i have seen ryzen is not so great in games compared to intel.

3 hours ago, Intelfreak said:

AMD is just not my thing. They dosent overclock that great and that is an importent thing for me and as far i have seen ryzen is not so great in games compared to intel.

AMD optimizing amd fixing bugs and shit. just look ashes of the singularity. btw a 6900x is like 1% faster in 4k gaming and double the price

3 minutes ago, asand1 said:

GTX 1080, 24gb RAM, and Xeon 5680. Keep the X58.

Hmm some thing dosent make sense to me. Why only a GTX 1080 and a Xeon 5680? I think 1080 Ti is a better chiose for 4K and i al ready have a 6 core X58 cpu.

24 GB ram yeah that might be a good idea since som games has recommended 16 GB now and DDR3 memory is cheap now.

5 minutes ago, Ethocreeper said:

AMD optimizing amd fixing bugs and shit. just look ashes of the singularity. btw a 6900x is like 1% faster in 4k gaming and double the price

its not my plan to get 6900X but a 6 core X99 cpu. That shut be enoufh for me. But i might wait cause as Princess Cadence says if X299 is only a few monfh away, that might be the bedst choise.

AMD is just not my thing and can we please leave it at that. Im not gonna get a ryzen pc. They dosent overcock to my satifaction and that is a al ready told very importen to me.

To all please no more AMD. That desicion is final.

I pity people like OP. Brand loyalty is retarded.

3 hours ago, Intelfreak said:

its not my plan to get 6900X but a 6 core X99 cpu. That shut be enoufh for me. But i might wait cause as Princess Cadence says if X299 is only a few monfh away, that might be the bedst choise.

AMD is just not my thing and can we please leave it at that. Im not gonna get a ryzen pc. They dosent overcock to my satifaction and that is a al ready told very importen to me.

To all please no more AMD. That desicion is final.

the go with ryzen 5

40 minutes ago, Unexas. said:

Depends on the game. 4GB is pushing it but it's generally enough for a lot of games at high at 2160p.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

22 minutes ago, Matu20 said:

I pity people like OP. Brand loyalty is retarded.

It is a very big thing that humans naturally do, I saw somewhere that they showed a connection of the cars you parents had when you grew up with would effect why type and brand of car you would buy later in life. and brand loyalty isn't all that bad but when it becomes a obsession it is not helpful. 

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Upgrade when you get your monitor m. Don't try to futureproof a few months before, since a lot of stuff is launching now, you'll just waste money. 

That's an F in the profile pic

Just now, The Benjamins said:

It is a very big thing that humans naturally do, I saw somewhere that they showed a connection of the cars you parents had when you grew up with would effect why type and brand of car you would buy later in life. and brand loyalty isn't all that bad but when it becomes a obsession it is not helpful. 

I know, the devil you know is better the devil you don't. But in this case OP is just shooting himself in the leg for not even considering the alternative.

Jesus why is it every dam time an Intel/AMD war begins just because i or another say i dont like AMD or intel for thats matter.

I just asked if X58 would be suficiant for 4K or not and AMD is not an option, thats it. And yet again it end up as a dissusion thread and totally off topic. If you cant handle some one not liking AMD, intel or nvidia, then just leave the thread its that simple.

Back to topic. I decided to wait an se what X299 has to offer and when just try out a GTX 1080 TI with my current system for now and them simulate 4K with nvidia DSR on my current screen to get an idea how that runs and if that feel alright, stick to that and if not se what X299 has to offer when it comes out. That seems most logic right now to me.

4 hours ago, Intelfreak said:

Hmm some thing dosent make sense to me. Why only a GTX 1080 and a Xeon 5680? I think 1080 Ti is a better chiose for 4K and i al ready have a 6 core X58 cpu.

24 GB ram yeah that might be a good idea since som games has recommended 16 GB now and DDR3 memory is cheap now.

TBH I have no experience with 4k, but I know higher resolutions take some load off the CPU. The Xeon has 12 MB cache where the i7 only has 8 iirc.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

1 hour ago, asand1 said:

TBH I have no experience with 4k, but I know higher resolutions take some load off the CPU. The Xeon has 12 MB cache where the i7 only has 8 iirc.

True if its a Quad-core cpu, but as told my I7 980X is a 6 core cpu with 12 MB of cashe.

http://ark.intel.com/products/47932/Intel-Core-i7-980X-Processor-Extreme-Edition-12M-Cache-3_33-GHz-6_40-GTs-Intel-QPI

Does any one have exspirence with 4K on X58?

6 hours ago, Intelfreak said:

16Gb of RAM is most common in games that are VR from what I have noticed.

11 minutes ago, RAM555789 said:

16Gb of RAM is most common in games that are VR from what I have noticed.

ah i see. I have no plans for VR yet. That is to exspensive so i will wait for prices to go down and mature when it comes to teknologi.

So 12 GB is still fine then i asume.

i have a 1080 ti and x58 with an x5675 at 4.398ghz. With DSR to 4k BF1 runs around 60fps. It certainly feels like the system is holding it back(it is). However. if youre set on the 4k and 1080 ti you would be more or less okay. I saw the biggest performance improvement changing my ram frequency. i was running it at 1600 to be lazy. at 2000 it feels better and my results are nicer across the board.

4 minutes ago, DoctorZeus said:

i have a 1080 ti and x58 with an x5675 at 4.398ghz. With DSR to 4k BF1 runs around 60fps. It certainly feels like the system is holding it back(it is). However. if youre set on the 4k and 1080 ti you would be more or less okay. I saw the biggest performance improvement changing my ram frequency. i was running it at 1600 to be lazy. at 2000 it feels better and my results are nicer across the board.

Great to here. Well then 4K might be possible then on X58. now i will deffently try out GTX 1080 TI first on my current system before getting new CPU/mobo.

Thanks for your response.

15 minutes ago, Intelfreak said:

ah i see. I have no plans for VR yet. That is to exspensive so i will wait for prices to go down and mature when it comes to teknologi.

So 12 GB is still fine then i asume.

12Gb  should be plenty right now, if your having memory issues with 12gb of RAM your A.Doing a shit ton of rendering, or B.You have a memory leak. C.Something I don't know about

1 minute ago, RAM555789 said:

12Gb  should be plenty right now, if your having memory issues with 12gb of RAM your A.Doing a shit ton of rendering, or B.You have a memory leak. C.Something I don't know about

No i dont have memory problems now for 1080P or 2K gaming. Its more when moving to 4K that might be a problem i am concerned for.