Multicopter Megathread

LittleCarrot

Looks pretty cool!

For the retracts, you will absolutely ruin those servos in a heartbeat with the way that's setup.

Most people end up using linear actuators for something like that.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

3 hours ago, KaminKevCrew said:

Looks pretty cool!

For the retracts, you will absolutely ruin those servos in a heartbeat with the way that's setup.

Most people end up using linear actuators for something like that.

well, I'm a little limited on space, so what would you recommend to fix the design? I was thinking about using an RC truck shock as a strut instead, would that help?

Would it be better to model the wings with my own internal ribbing, or use auto generated infill? I'm feeling lazy, I don't really want to hollow it out, which I know will be a pain right in the cunninglinguals since I have a bunch of cuts into the wing. Fusion's Shell feature wont handle that too well.

ASU

17 hours ago, Hackentosher said:

well, I'm a little limited on space, so what would you recommend to fix the design? I was thinking about using an RC truck shock as a strut instead, would that help?

Would it be better to model the wings with my own internal ribbing, or use auto generated infill? I'm feeling lazy, I don't really want to hollow it out, which I know will be a pain right in the cunninglinguals since I have a bunch of cuts into the wing. Fusion's Shell feature wont handle that too well.

I would run some kind of a locking linkage, personally, though I think you can get pretty small linear retracts these days. It might be worth checking out.

As for hollowing out the wing, you likely won't need much in the way of infill. I would suggest doing some kind of custom webbing. I know it's a real pain, but I feel like any kind of infill stuff that the printer software will come up with will end up being really heavy and not terribly effective for the types of stresses that an aircraft will experience.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

5 minutes ago, KaminKevCrew said:

I would run some kind of a locking linkage, personally, though I think you can get pretty small linear retracts these days. It might be worth checking out.

As for hollowing out the wing, you likely won't need much in the way of infill. I would suggest doing some kind of custom webbing. I know it's a real pain, but I feel like any kind of infill stuff that the printer software will come up with will end up being really heavy and not terribly effective for the types of stresses that an aircraft will experience.

Well its just a grid that runs the entire length of the wing, parallel to the leading edge. 

ASU

34 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

Well its just a grid that runs the entire length of the wing, parallel to the leading edge. 

If I were you, I would at the very least, rotate the grid by 45 degrees. I would imagine that, like carbon fiber, the plastic will be much stronger if the structural system is on the bias.

Also, you should be able to create a script in fusion to do that or some other reinforcement for the wings, no?

Hey! New SIgnature! 

55 minutes ago, KaminKevCrew said:

If I were you, I would at the very least, rotate the grid by 45 degrees. I would imagine that, like carbon fiber, the plastic will be much stronger if the structural system is on the bias.

Also, you should be able to create a script in fusion to do that or some other reinforcement for the wings, no?

Ah I wish I took screenshots of how I had them setup in Cura. I think infill will be better so that I don't have to have internal overhangs and/or support material holding up internal ribs. I think for how small the aircraft is, slicer generated infill will be enough. Or, I could print hollow and just rely on the 2mm thick walls of the part. I don't trust that idea so much, but I could make the walls thicker. That would save on filament over infill, and in my experience, dramatically increases strength over internal structures.

I probably could, but I have no idea how to do that.

ASU

On 1/30/2018 at 1:14 PM, Hackentosher said:

Ah I wish I took screenshots of how I had them setup in Cura. I think infill will be better so that I don't have to have internal overhangs and/or support material holding up internal ribs. I think for how small the aircraft is, slicer generated infill will be enough. Or, I could print hollow and just rely on the 2mm thick walls of the part. I don't trust that idea so much, but I could make the walls thicker. That would save on filament over infill, and in my experience, dramatically increases strength over internal structures.

I probably could, but I have no idea how to do that.

I mean, you could always try the 2mm thick wings, and if they fold too easily, then you can increase the thickness (You could print one wing, and see how much force it takes to fold it. If that seems like it's too little, then increase the thickness.

On a side note, I am now one quad down. I flew into a cliff, and there was no way to get it that night. When I came back to check it out the next morning, the tide had come all the way in, so that's a bit of a shame.

I'm now working on rebuilding my Armattan F1-5 Acro with the Acro pod, and the FC is giving me a lot of trouble...

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I mean, you could always try the 2mm thick wings, and if they fold too easily, then you can increase the thickness (You could print one wing, and see how much force it takes to fold it. If that seems like it's too little, then increase the thickness.

On a side note, I am now one quad down. I flew into a cliff, and there was no way to get it that night. When I came back to check it out the next morning, the tide had come all the way in, so that's a bit of a shame.

I'm now working on rebuilding my Armattan F1-5 Acro with the Acro pod, and the FC is giving me a lot of trouble...

Yeah that's a good idea, I'm just about out of pla tho. I want to print the whole thing in petg for extra strength, but prototype in pla. If quads weren't so expensive, this wouldn't be a Problem xD Matter Hackers has a new line of cheap petg. I've been really impressed with their filament so I tbink I might give it a shot and finish the prototyping with it. 

Oh noes, did you at least get dvr? 

What's the FC doing? 

ASU

Found my Frame for the 2018 Racing season... 

https://www.droneracingparts.com/products/cerberus-v2-multigp-spec-edition-pre-order-8-28?variant=41818804880

Skipping on the banggood clone and getting the real deal. Have learnt with Droen parts you can get decent items off Banggood but sometimes its worth it to not sort by price. 

Now to find the motors I want, and ESC's 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

59 minutes ago, Not_Sean said:

Found my Frame for the 2018 Racing season... 

https://www.droneracingparts.com/products/cerberus-v2-multigp-spec-edition-pre-order-8-28?variant=41818804880

Skipping on the banggood clone and getting the real deal. Have learnt with Droen parts you can get decent items off Banggood but sometimes its worth it to not sort by price. 

Now to find the motors I want, and ESC's 

Good choice, Flynocerous has a great warranty. If you break one part, you send the whole frame back and they send you a new one. 

For motors, how about the new EMAX LS motors with Spedix ESCs?

ASU

34 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

Good choice, Flynocerous has a great warranty. If you break one part, you send the whole frame back and they send you a new one. 

For motors, how about the new EMAX LS motors with Spedix ESCs?

Not a emax fan, and funny enough (Don't kill Me) but looking at the DYS Motors, their new Samguk range has been getting some epic reviews and guys rate them right up there with the Hyperlight motors. thinking of grabbing them and these ESC's 

https://www.banggood.com/4X-DYS-Aria-BLHeli_32bit-35A-35amp-Brushless-ESC-3-6S-Dshot1200-Ready-Built-in-Current-Meter-Sensor-p-1187402.html?rmmds=search&cur_warehouse=CN

even though I'm raceflight FC I've decided to skip on the Revolt as just don't like having 1 esc go and tossign out the whole board. Also going 35A with the hope they'll handle anything I throw at them (Will only be 4S) 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

51 minutes ago, Not_Sean said:

Not a emax fan, and funny enough (Don't kill Me) but looking at the DYS Motors, their new Samguk range has been getting some epic reviews and guys rate them right up there with the Hyperlight motors. thinking of grabbing them and these ESC's 

https://www.banggood.com/4X-DYS-Aria-BLHeli_32bit-35A-35amp-Brushless-ESC-3-6S-Dshot1200-Ready-Built-in-Current-Meter-Sensor-p-1187402.html?rmmds=search&cur_warehouse=CN

even though I'm raceflight FC I've decided to skip on the Revolt as just don't like having 1 esc go and tossign out the whole board. Also going 35A with the hope they'll handle anything I throw at them (Will only be 4S) 

Awe that's a shame, I've had good luck with emax motors. As for dys, I've had a lot of luck with their ESCs and other products. They're a good company, I like them. 

ASU

1 hour ago, Hackentosher said:

Awe that's a shame, I've had good luck with emax motors. As for dys, I've had a lot of luck with their ESCs and other products. They're a good company, I like them. 

Happy to hear, yeah for some reason I also like them, even though I've only ever had one DYS part :P 

So my new build:

Frame: Cerberus V2

Motors: DYS 2206 Samguk Wu Editions 2700KV

https://www.banggood.com/DYS-Samguk-Series-Shu-2306-2250KV-2500KV-2800KV-3-4S-Brushless-Motor-for-Racing-Drone-p-1226078.html?rmmds=category&cur_warehouse=CN

ESC: DYS 35A Aria BLHeli_32bit

Redstone:

Obsidian:

57 minutes ago, Not_Sean said:

You linked the 2306 version lol. May I ask why such a high kv? If it was my choice, I would go for a lower kv to save the batteries just a smidge.

ASU

1 hour ago, Hackentosher said:

You linked the 2306 version lol. May I ask why such a high kv? If it was my choice, I would go for a lower kv to save the batteries just a smidge.

https://www.banggood.com/DYS-Samguk-Series-Wu-2206-2400KV-2700KV-3-4S-Brushless-Motor-CW-for-Racing-Drone-p-1226069.html?rmmds=detail-left-viewhistory__3&ID=521905&cur_warehouse=CN

Sorry yeah, those Red ones are the 23xx versions, been told to stay with the 22xx ones.

The main reason is it's for a Pure racing quad so long as my pack makes it to the end of the race I'm good and its ok if it knocks the battery a bit, we have a shop sponsoring myself and a mate, doing our travel and batteries costs.

so 2700kv seems like a good choice for the speed it can give. 

Redstone:

Obsidian:

4 minutes ago, Not_Sean said:

https://www.banggood.com/DYS-Samguk-Series-Wu-2206-2400KV-2700KV-3-4S-Brushless-Motor-CW-for-Racing-Drone-p-1226069.html?rmmds=detail-left-viewhistory__3&ID=521905&cur_warehouse=CN

Sorry yeah, those Red ones are the 23xx versions, been told to stay with the 22xx ones.

The main reason is it's for a Pure racing quad so long as my pack makes it to the end of the race I'm good and its ok if it knocks the battery a bit, we have a shop sponsoring myself and a mate, doing our travel and batteries costs.

so 2700kv seems like a good choice for the speed it can give. 

Wow congratulations on the sponsorship! Now that I understand it's for racing, the 2700kv makes sense.

ASU

2 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

Wow congratulations on the sponsorship! Now that I understand it's for racing, the 2700kv makes sense.

Thanks man, Yeah only reason I'm entered into the MultiGP national series here. Should be good fun. 

Knowing that would you say maybe then go for the 23xx ones over the 22xx as they prob will haul harder? 

Redstone:

Obsidian:

21 minutes ago, Not_Sean said:

Thanks man, Yeah only reason I'm entered into the MultiGP national series here. Should be good fun. 

Knowing that would you say maybe then go for the 23xx ones over the 22xx as they prob will haul harder? 

Yes I would, actually. I was thinking about that as I was typing my last response lol. 

ASU

I killed my Kakute f4 v2 aio? Any recommendations?

"In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity."
- Albert Einstein

1 minute ago, LittleCarrot said:

The JB F4 was super easy to solder up, haven't had the time to fly it yet. $35 from RDQ.

ASU

16 minutes ago, LittleCarrot said:

Know Hacken Hates them, But for me the proof was in the pudding, and I swear by them now, a RaceFlight FC. Cannot believe the difference going from my F4 to a Kiss and then to the Raceflight, drone flights amazingly and yeah it did pop the other day but thanks to the warranty program was quick to get replaced. I ordered two to replace it.

for me nothing changed on my drone besides the FC and the difference even on stock tune was insane! 

Redstone:

Obsidian:

5 minutes ago, Not_Sean said:

Know Hacken Hates them, But for me the proof was in the pudding, and I swear by them now, a RaceFlight FC. Cannot believe the difference going from my F4 to a Kiss and then to the Raceflight, drone flights amazingly and yeah it did pop the other day but thanks to the warranty program was quick to get replaced. I ordered two to replace it.

for me nothing changed on my drone besides the FC and the difference even on stock tune was insane! 

but... but... they're assholes! xD 

ASU

1 hour ago, Not_Sean said:

KakV2AIOF4 was very good i accidently shorted it. The JB intrigued me since it allows me to run tight stacks.

- Albert Einstein

On 2/2/2018 at 1:42 PM, Hackentosher said:

Yeah that's a good idea, I'm just about out of pla tho. I want to print the whole thing in petg for extra strength, but prototype in pla. If quads weren't so expensive, this wouldn't be a Problem xD Matter Hackers has a new line of cheap petg. I've been really impressed with their filament so I tbink I might give it a shot and finish the prototyping with it. 

Oh noes, did you at least get dvr? 

What's the FC doing? 

I did indeed get some DVR it's not great, but I'll throw in the video here pretty soon.

I figured out my issues with the FC. I didn't realize that FCs with the CP210x drivers have to be connected and then you flash without going into the bootloader... Good to know!

15 hours ago, Hackentosher said:

but... but... they're assholes! xD 

Right?

My newest frame is the Kore V2, and that frame is absolutely insane. The stiffness of the UD version is unreal. With just the unibody, I can try to bend or twist the frame in any direction as hard as I want, and the thing doesn't deflect AT ALL. It's insane. Now if only it were a little bit easier to build in...

I ended up killing a clone of the Omnibus f4 pro corner because the ground holes on the OSD connection wouldn't stick to the solder, no matter how much flux I put on.

So, I'm replacing it with the Betaflight F7 Rev1, which I think is going to be amazing.

I've thought about running raceflight, but I really don't want to support them. The guy that does all the coding seems cool, but he left because the other dude is an asshole, apparently. I don't want to support a company like that.

I also grabbed the Wraith 32 35A v2 escs, because the V1s that I have are kind of hard to solder to, and I pulled the telemetry pad off of one of them, so they're spares now.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

So, I'm replacing it with the Betaflight F7 Rev1, which I think is going to be amazing.

What feature drew you to it. At $60 its pricy 

- Albert Einstein