Multicopter Megathread

LittleCarrot
Just now, Not_Sean said:

Smart audio Yes, (I can't see myself using it as we both know once we got it all setup we never really tinker further, well me at least) 

But cleaner We actualyl couldn't find any difference between mates unify and my VTX03 when we were flying an acro spot. swopped drones and we both found zero difference. and the price between them is huge. 

I'll check the MK2 out if you say its looking good. I'm actually looking for a 5000mw+ VTX for the acro drone.  

Not in a video sense in more of a band sense

"In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity."
- Albert Einstein

1 minute ago, LittleCarrot said:

Not in a video sense in more of a band sense

How many drones you want in the air at once o.O i've never had an issue of running out of bands or bleed. 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

2 minutes ago, Not_Sean said:

Smart audio Yes, (I can't see myself using it as we both know once we got it all setup we never really tinker further, well me at least) 

But cleaner We actualyl couldn't find any difference between mates unify and my VTX03 when we were flying an acro spot. swopped drones and we both found zero difference. and the price between them is huge. 

I'll check the MK2 out if you say its looking good. I'm actually looking for a 5000mw+ VTX for the acro drone.  

Haven't gotten to use smart audio yet, but it's a hell of a lot easier than the unify's solution.

Cleaner video as in how much it bleeds on other channels. Also nicer VTXs slowly ramp up their output power because it takes a second to get to the right frequency. You don't want to be blasting 800mw on the wrong channel when you're flying around other people, even for just a second.

it'll do 800mw.

ASU

should i get the kak or jbf4, I want someone to make the descion for me

- Albert Einstein

1 hour ago, LittleCarrot said:

should i get the kak or jbf4, I want someone to make the descion for me

I like the JB F4 a lot, great company behind it and built in softmounts, forgot about that last detail.

ASU

4 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

I like the JB F4 a lot, great company behind it and built in softmounts, forgot about that last detail.

i got it before you said anything.

- Albert Einstein

1 minute ago, LittleCarrot said:

i got it before you said anything.

I wish I could fly mine :(

ASU

1 minute ago, Hackentosher said:

I wish I could fly mine :(

Why havent you?

- Albert Einstein

Just now, LittleCarrot said:

Why havent you?

high school sucks. I think I'll have a free weekend in two weeks.

ASU

Shit ton of Aps?

- Albert Einstein

13 hours ago, Not_Sean said:

I still stand by the VTX03. that thing kicks serious ass, its the only cheapy China part I really can recommend and there are pro pilots who also find it really good. 

I have the ATX03, and it's pretty good. 

12 hours ago, Not_Sean said:

For me, I wouldn't get smart audio for myself - I am starting to fly with other people, and having smart audio setup will just make it a lot easier to move around bands and channels without having to fuss with stupid button presses. It just makes life more convenient.

If you stay in close, yeah, the VTX03 won't have any very noticeable disadvantage, but if you were to try to go further out, the fact that the unify can output 4x the power will mean that you will literally (in a perfect world, because of the inverse square law) get double the range for the same video quality.

Did you mean 500mW+ or did you actually mean 5W+? 5 watts is a HUGE amount of power. Anything trying to broadcast at that power level would likely be drawing 10 to 15 amps from the battery. You'd need something like a freefly cinema system to support that amount of power draw for any meaningful amount of time, including dealing with the weight of a VTx that size...

If you did just mean 500mW, then I would suggest going for the RDQ Mach1/2 (get the mmcx connector version. That connector is empirically better in every way, except that it's ever so slightly larger.), the ImmersionRC tramp (which I have, and it's a really cool little device. It's cool that you can get a wand for it too.), the Unify Pro (regular, or HV) even though it's really expensive. Then there's also the stealth VTx (700mW) from FuriousFPV, the guys that make the trued module for fatshark goggles. And I'm sure there are several more out there, those are the ones I know of off hand.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

11 hours ago, KaminKevCrew said:

. Then there's also the stealth VTx (700mW) from FuriousFPV, the guys that make the trued module for fatshark goggles. And I'm sure there are several more out there, those are the ones I know of off hand.

About the furious, furious as a company often takes a while to get things right. It took three revisions of the true D to get a well performing receiver. They often have qc issues and dont seem to spend enough R&D on their products. I us vent heard anything bad about their VTX, but I haven't heard anything good either. My next VTX will be a Mach 2, not a furious. 

ASU

3 hours ago, Hackentosher said:

About the furious, furious as a company often takes a while to get things right. It took three revisions of the true D to get a well performing receiver. They often have qc issues and dont seem to spend enough R&D on their products. I us vent heard anything bad about their VTX, but I haven't heard anything good either. My next VTX will be a Mach 2, not a furious. 

why not a unify?

- Albert Einstein

6 hours ago, LittleCarrot said:

why not a unify?

Ufl, price, and the JST-SH connector it has. I'd rather solder. Also the Mach 2 is smaller which is great for my slammed 6".

ASU

5 hours ago, Hackentosher said:

Ufl, price, and the JST-SH connector it has. I'd rather solder. Also the Mach 2 is smaller which is great for my slammed 6".

Isn't TBS coming out with a unify micro that has direct soldering? 

I think it's still ufl, but it has all of the features of the originals, just at a smaller size, as far as I know.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

1 hour ago, KaminKevCrew said:

Isn't TBS coming out with a unify micro that has direct soldering? 

I think it's still ufl, but it has all of the features of the originals, just at a smaller size, as far as I know.

50mw tho :(

ASU

Hey does anyone have any recommendations for a case to fit the QX7? In particular something quite low profile. I am currently using the box that it came in but really want to find something a little smaller to free up some space in my bag, however I only seem to be able to find cases for the X9D

1 hour ago, Daysy said:

Hey does anyone have any recommendations for a case to fit the QX7? In particular something quite low profile. I am currently using the box that it came in but really want to find something a little smaller to free up some space in my bag, however I only seem to be able to find cases for the X9D

This might work: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-transmitter-bag-carrying-case.html

- Albert Einstein

Anybody have a TS100?

- Albert Einstein

1 hour ago, Daysy said:

The one @LittleCarrot is a good choice, especially if you have fat-shark style goggles. Pretty sure it'll fit goggles and a radio. That being said u use a lunch box. 

ASU

Just now, LittleCarrot said:

Anybody have a TS100?

A friend of mine does, it's great for field repairs, but I think it eats up power pretty quick. Works great with my field charging battery. 

ASU

Just now, Hackentosher said:

A friend of mine does, it's great for field repairs, but I think it eats up power pretty quick. Works great with my field charging battery. 

Is it me or it takes forever to heat up joints? I'm planning on returning mine

- Albert Einstein

1 hour ago, LittleCarrot said:

Is it me or it takes forever to heat up joints? I'm planning on returning mine

I have one and I love it. It actually heats up joints as fast as, if not faster than, my hakko 888-D.

I love it for all sorts of stuff. What temp are you running yours at?

Hey! New SIgnature!