DX12, what was promised and what we got .. a rainbow shitting unicorn

48 minutes ago, SamStrecker said:

It isn't DX12s fault, it is lazy devs. 

There's a time to say "lazy devs" and this isn't one of them. DX12 and even Vulkan is new. We're not going to see significant changes with these APIs compared to older ones since they're new. Right now is the experimentation phase I guess you could call it where they're learning. I've mildly read through the surface of the DX12 documentation and in my opinion, there's no way developers are going to learn how to use DX12 properly for a loooooooooooooong time - the more serious developers will go for Vulkan since it's platform agnostic and may offer better features for better experiences.

This is why it baffled me that people actually thought an indie studio like the Ark developers were going to actually port their game to DX12 - now they're promising Vulkan and I doubt it'll be an actual tangible thing for another three years compared to DX11, 10 and 9.

1 minute ago, goodtofufriday said:

I always try to tell this to people. No one seems to care. 

If a game isnt built from the ground up usimg dx12 then you won't see the benefits. 

People are basically complaining that a Lamborghini engine doesnt perform all that well when placed in a honda civic. 

Shouldn't it be the other way around ? fast looking car with a under-powered engine ?

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

Just now, XenosTech said:

Shouldn't it be the other way around ? fast looking car with a under-powered engine ?

Its game "engine". Get it? 

Bad joke i know =(

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

15 minutes ago, zMeul said:

you are comparing DX12 to Doom!?!?

Doom uses OpenGL and Vulkan - OpenGL is still inferior, in perf, to DX11

He was comparing DX12 to Vulkan and how DOOM was one of few games to properly use Vulkan. Your eyes, use them.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

39 minutes ago, zMeul said:

are you testing CPUs or GPUs?!

the idea of a API benchmark is to apply the workload on the GPU

Not when the whole point of the new APIs was to reduce the CPU workload and distribute it better across multiple cores.

These are graphics APIs, but that doesn't mean they only have to do with GPU performance.

Just now, tmcclelland455 said:

He was comparing DX12 to Vulkan and how DOOM was one of few games to properly use Vulkan. Your eyes, use them.

properly using Vulkan to what!?!? Doom is about the only retail game out there that uses Vulkan

Talos principle uses Vulkan in a wrapper!!

1 minute ago, Sakkura said:

Not when the whole point of the new APIs was to reduce the CPU workload and distribute it better across multiple cores.

DX11 already does that, case in point?! look at the benchmarks

Just now, zMeul said:

DX11 already does that, case in point?! look at the benchmarks

No it does not. And the comment you were replying to earlier was specifically calling for a more CPU-bottlenecked scenario to better examine how the APIs stacked up there.

14 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

No it does not. And the comment you were replying to earlier was specifically calling for a more CPU-bottlenecked scenario to better examine how the APIs stacked up there.

I seriously suggest you do some research

the only bottleneck DX11 in regards to CPUs is draw calls - that's it!

If you are interested into more nitty gritty stuff this talk given by the head of the studio that does Deus Ex sheds more light on why DX12 hasn't been adopted as widely as some would hope.

https://www.techpowerup.com/231079/is-directx-12-worth-the-trouble

TL;DR

DX12 is not a magical api that will speed up games just by porting their engines to it. DX12 memory management is tricky, it takes a lot of effort to do and many developers don't have the resources to do it well enough to make it worth it as tools are not mature enough yet. Multi-GPU support is theoretically cool but almost no one has more than one GPU.

Data Scientist - MSc in Advanced CS, B.Eng in Computer Engineering

100f.jpg

100h.jpg

And if you don't believe those photos because they're "AMD marketing wank", http://www.legitreviews.com/maxwell-gpu-users-get-nvidia-vxao-ambient-occlusion-technology_179773

COMPUTER: Mobile Battlestation  |  CPU: INTEL I7-8700k |  Motherboard: Asus z370-i Strix Gaming  | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. b |  PSU: Corsair SF600 | HDD: Samsung 860 evo 1tb

Useless test. Low level APIs are supposed to help the CPU and yet the 480 is being tested at 1440p where the GPU is doing all the work. Testing a Pascal cards is also useless. Lemme know when they test the 480 at 1080p.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

This is a good thing not a bad thing, who the hell wants microsofts next attempt at monopolization of the gaming market on pc to succeed certainly not me, Vulkan is what we should want improvements on not Dx windows 10 edition

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

12 minutes ago, FAQBytes said:

And if you don't believe those photos because they're "AMD marketing wank"

that's general marketing wank

games that pooped from MS' own game studios perform better in DX11

1 hour ago, SamStrecker said:

It isn't DX12s fault, it is lazy devs. 

Funny. I said the exact same thing, and got taken completely out of context in another zMeul thread. 

People seem to think that giving programmers/developers more tools, faster hardware, better API's, etc automatically translate to better, faster games, but it doesn't. What it translates to, is developers being able to be lazier since they can simply blame hardware not being fast enough (or being so poorly optimized that you NEED extreme hardware to be able to run it at launch... cough, AC:U, cough). 

No matter the API, no matter how much of the hardware you let the developer access, it simply will not matter if the devs are lazy, or rushed by their studio executives. Look at Witcher 3. They were a small team, they worked hard, and didn't have a studio breathing down their neck, and delivered a masterpiece of a game. Then you have Andromeda, which took 5 years, had a massive budget, and we ended up with what visually looks like Sims In Space ft Nick Cage levels of acting (not that Nick Cage is bad, I love him). I can't speak about Andromeda's performance (have yet to play it) but my point is: no amount of time or money can fix lazy or rushed dev teams. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

2 minutes ago, zMeul said:

they are general marketing wank

games that pooped from MS' own game studios perform better in DX11

DX12, while not yet improving the top end of the results, has been a definite boost for mid-range PCs, which a far greater number pf people use, especially when compared to 7700k's and 1080tis. 

https://www.hardocp.com/article/2016/04/19/dx11_vs_dx12_intel_cpu_scaling_gaming_framerate/

These benefits will come in time as the technology matures. Again, this is historically evident from every other API that's come out.

COMPUTER: Mobile Battlestation  |  CPU: INTEL I7-8700k |  Motherboard: Asus z370-i Strix Gaming  | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. b |  PSU: Corsair SF600 | HDD: Samsung 860 evo 1tb

44 minutes ago, zMeul said:

I seriously suggest you do some research

the only bottleneck DX11 in regards to CPUs is draw calls - that's it!

Draw calls run on the CPU, you walnut.

3 minutes ago, MageTank said:

Look at Witcher 3. They were a small team, they worked hard, and didn't have a studio breathing down their neck, and delivered a masterpiece of a game. Then you have Andromeda, which took 5 years, had a massive budget, and we ended up with what visually looks like Sims In Space ft Nick Cage levels of acting (not that Nick Cage is bad, I love him). I can't speak about Andromeda's performance (have yet to play it) but my point is: no amount of time or money can fix lazy or rushed dev teams. 

I wonder what parallel universe have you spawned from? CDP a small studio? please tell me how many developers have their own publishing company? oh . that's right

as for TW3, are you ignoring the downgrade-a-ton? the 2 or 3 was it rescheduling of the release date ...

sure there are shit devs, there are also devs that are in the same camp where the API was build; and you also have devs who made tech demos for one HW manufacturer and called it a game

gimme' a break!

4 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

Draw calls run on the CPU, you walnut.

that's exactly the fucking point

since you don't have the limit of the draw calls you are no longer CPU bound but GPU bound - and guess what!? it doesn't perform better ..

or is it because "we" weren't draw call bound in the 1st place, eh ;)

Just now, zMeul said:

that's exactly the fucking point

since you don't have the limit of the draw calls you are no longer CPU bound but GPU bound - and guess what!? it doesn't perform better .. or worse

That's again dependent on the situation for crying out loud. In some situations draw calls are going to be more of a problem than in others.

I mean what's new here. Games come either broken and poorly optimized, in general. On top of that port to new API does shit if only done so. I want to see games build from ground up on DX12 with actual good coding and optimizations done. Porting games won't do nothing really. Devs need more time to learn the new API and actually use it to it's full potential.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

2 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

That's again dependent on the situation for crying out loud. In some situations draw calls are going to be more of a problem than in others.

if the draw calls is a problem then the game was developed by shitheads

remember Assassin's Creed something ?

10 minutes ago, FAQBytes said:

DX12, while not yet improving the top end of the results, has been a definite boost for mid-range PCs, which a far greater number pf people use, especially when compared to 7700k's and 1080tis. 

https://www.hardocp.com/article/2016/04/19/dx11_vs_dx12_intel_cpu_scaling_gaming_framerate/

These benefits will come in time as the technology matures. Again, this is historically evident from every other API that's come out.

Ashes bench is the wrong tool to use to compare the APIs because it's CPU bound

if you actually go and play the game you will find that it plays just fine even tho the benchmark run spews horrible FPS

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

if the draw calls is a problem then the game was developed by shitheads

remember Assassin's Creed something ?

Having fewer performance constraints is helpful.

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

I wonder what parallel universe have you spawned from? CDP a small studio? please tell me how many developers have their own publishing company? oh . that's right

as for TW3, are you ignoring the downgrade-a-ton? the 2 or 3 was it rescheduling of the release date ...

sure there are shit devs, there are also devs that are in the same camp where the API was build; and you also have devs who made tech demos for one HW manufacturer and called it a game

gimme' a break!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD_Projekt (Number of employees: 370)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BioWare (Number of employees: 800 from 2010, no idea what it is now)

I'd consider half of bioware to be pretty small. Not to mention they are part of EA, which has several thousand employees. In fact, the total number of in-house employees working on Witcher 3, was 240, with 1500 working on it globally for 2 years with a 7.5M budget. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Witcher_3:_Wild_Hunt#Development

Bioware had 200 employees from 3 of their studios working on ME:A for 5 years, with contractors from various EA companies stepping in over the course of that development. Granted, CDPR uses their own engine, and Bioware kinda changed gears mid-development, it still makes you question how studios with similar man-hours, and nearly 5x the budget can manage to release an aesthetically poor game. Especially once you factor in their older titles looking better.

Also, I am not ignoring the "downgrade" or reschedules. ME:A suffered similar delays (of nearly 2 years) and it's leaked footage looked far better than what was just released. My point is, TW3's finished product still looks better. 

I like you zMeul. You are one of the few people that argue with me anymore. We need to do this more often. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.