DX12, what was promised and what we got .. a rainbow shitting unicorn

4 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

-snip-

That is part of the reason, they really are very inefficient, but it would mostly be down to the GPU being able to use all of its shaders at once, something that GCN generally struggles with because of its design, this, thankfully, is being fixed in Vega.

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

6 hours ago, leadeater said:

We the gaming community are the ones that made the leap to DX12 means more performance/higher FPS when that was never actually a design goal of DX12/Vulkan at all. 

Technically, we didn't even do this as gamers. It was the tech media that assumed it would translate to more performance, and painted that narrative all over the place. Gamers simply repeated what they read from those sites. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

On 2017-03-22 at 8:43 PM, zMeul said:

see my Tomb Raider test a few pages back

draw call limitation occur only when the developers didn't do their jobs and pushed a shit product on the market

draw calls are not limited/influenced by the resolution, but by the number of objects/polygons in the scene

the number of polygons that need to be rendered can be reduced by culling - game engine have already started to do it naturally; before they needed a middleware (Umbra)

Culling works to a point.  What if you simply want an extremely detailed scene?   DX12 opens up a lot of possibilities here for next gen level of detail.  Reducing draw calls doesn't remove the limitation, it just avoids it.  

Did you test the geothermal valley? Because that's the prt of the game I'd most suspect of benefitting massively from dx12.  

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

7 minutes ago, sgloux3470 said:

Did you test the geothermal valley? Because that's the prt of the game I'd most suspect of benefitting massively from dx12.  

I tested the geo valley, explained in the post why the results aren't there

in DX12, geo valley performs weird - it renders certain objects only when the camera is at a certain distance from them, they poop in

---

on the other matter, draw calls is not the only thing developers should be concerned with

having more objects in the scene, better detailed, better textures, ambient effects, puts more strain on the GPU than the CPU and that makes the draw call perf rather insignificant problem