Windows 10 Creators Update AKA (Service Pack 2)

2018cnaumann

I've been Using the new windows 10 version for awhile now. And I can safely say that it's something you'll have mixed feelings about. So ill go over the good bad and the ugly.

The Good

- Updated UI Design, Is A Lot Less Cumbersome To Use And Is More Customizable

- Xbox Is Less Retarded To Use And Has Its Own Settings Menu Or Tile

- Apps Aimed For People Who Have Mid to High-End Systems And VR

The Bad

- While Being Aimed As An " Update " Its Actually An New Windows 10

- Windows Defender Is More Greedy Than Ever And Aims To Be Antivirus Like In Nature

- Legacy Systems Will Have Trouble Running It Because At Least 3 GB Of RAM Is In Use At Any Time

The Ugly

- Cortana Is Greedier Than Ever And Is Used At Setup

Other than these problems it's still useable for everyday use and hopefully, we get DX 12.1 with this "Update"

So What Do You Think About This Update?

What do I think?  Hm, not sure.  Can you elaborate on the Windows defender point, the Cortana point, and why being a whole new Windows 10 goes in the "bad" category?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Also, -moved to Windows subforum-

and summoning @AluminiumTech and @GoodBytes since they probably know something about this

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Curious about the min requirements, as building a Q6660 for a buddy to use as an internet workhorse.  How long will Windows 7 have support for? I guess throwing another 4GB ram at that would be beneficial for the move to Windows 10. 

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

- I don;t understand your 2 first point under "Bad".

Windows 10 memory consumption adapts to how much RAM you have. The more RAM you have, the more it will consume (up to certain point, of course).

Windows 10 can run on a system with 2 GB of RAM, and have plenty of RAM left. It won't be the most responsive experience ever, but it will work fine, and you'll have free RAM for software.

The more RAM Windows takes, the more responsive your experience will be, and the more SuperFetch can kick-in, partially pre-loading your apps/games before you do (basically RAM Disk type of thing), allowing you to have programs you use often start faster.

Cortana at Setup is to help visual impaired people with the Out of the box experience with Window (a HUGE problem before). It is still not perfect, but a start. And also help with the average user to get their system up and running for the first time. No need to pay BestBuy's GeekSquad or ask someone to set it up, as it was too 'complex' before, due to the lack of being inviting and throwing lots of text and questions in front of you. If are visually impaired, before, and you got a new PC, and starting it for the first time... good luck. Now, they have Cortana to interact with to get tarted, and minimize the use of a keyboard/mouse which is difficult.

3 minutes ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

At least you could. 2GB is the new minimum after Anniversary Update.

Sorry, typo. I meant 2 GB. Fixed

@GoodBytes I think it's important to differentiate, when talking about how much RAM Windows uses, which portion we're talking about:

Capture.jpg

When you say "Windows 10 memory consumption adapts to how much RAM you have. The more RAM you have, the more it will consume", which sections above are you saying expand?  Obviously we'd all like the "actually free" section to be as small as possible, since that's just wasted memory, but when people say Windows is using too much memory, they're usually referring to the "actually used".  Expanding the "Superfetch" section is good for performance.  Expanding the "actually used" section is just bloat :P 

12 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

@GoodBytes I think it's important to differentiate, when talking about how much RAM Windows uses, which portion we're talking about:

When you say "Windows 10 memory consumption adapts to how much RAM you have. The more RAM you have, the more it will consume", which sections above are you saying expand?  Obviously we'd all like the "actually free" section to be as small as possible, since that's just wasted memory, but when people say Windows is using too much memory, they're usually referring to the "actually used".  Expanding the "Superfetch" section is good for performance.  Expanding the "actually used" section is just bloat :P 

Both. For example, if you open Task Manager under Creators Update, and you have sufficient amount of RAM, you'll notice a crap tone more "svchost.exe" than before. This is because Windows will no longer bundle these services together as it used to be bundled into groups. As a result, it will help a bit with the response time experience, and allow you to have one of these services crash and recover, without affecting other aspect of your system. Little luxuries that were not possible before due to RAM constraints.

Just now, GoodBytes said:

Both. For example, if you open Task Manager under Creators Update, and you have sufficient amount of RAM, you'll notice a crap tone more of "svchost.exe" than before. This is because Windows will no longer bundle these services together as it used to into groups. As a result, it will help a bit with the response time experience, and allow to have one of these services crash and recover, without affecting other aspect of your system.

Hm... I suppose there's good and bad to that

4 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Hm... I suppose there's good and bad to that

Well, RAM is meant to be used. The CPU can only interact with RAM. It can't access the HDD/SSD directly. Anything it (well, by a program running by the CPU) requests streams the data (uses part of the RAM), or loads the file in full into the RAM first, and then can access it.

In an ideal world, you want your RAM fully used at 100% if you have nothing running, or if you have 500 programs doing things on the back, and everything adjusts and scales based on RAM capacity... again.. I said: an in ideal world.

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

Well, RAM is meant to be used.

So long as it's used effectively.  On some lower spec machines, I'd imagine they'd prefer to have more room for games and chrome tabs than svchost.exes :P 

2 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

So long as it's used effectively.  On some lower spec machines, I'd imagine they'd prefer to have more room for games and chrome tabs than svchost.exes :P 

Well, in such case Windows will work as before. In most cases, if you are doing something RAM demanding (say, editing videos or large images), you probably have lots of RAM. If you wonder, the switch happens if you have 3.5GB of RAM or more.

Oh, another upside of separating the services is that you gain more transparency. You know which service exactly if consuming lots of resources (if you show the command line columns, or right-click and pick "Go to Services", you'll see the service name). And it increases security, by having each service isolated from each other, avoiding exploits where services share the same memory block which can allow taking advantage of.

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

Well, in such case Windows will work as before. In most cases, if you are doing something RAM demanding (say, editing videos or large images), you probably have lots of RAM.

If you wonder, the switch happens if you have 3.5GB of RAM or more.

Oh, another upside of separating the services is that you gain more transparency. You know which service exactly if consuming lots of resources (if you show the command line columns, or right-click and pick "Go to Services", you'll see the service name). And it increases security, by having each service isolated from each other, avoiding exploits where services share the same memory block which can allow taking advantage of.

Hm, true.  I guess this should be alright :D 

Showing more clearly what is using what resources is one of those common sense changes I am staggered MS didn't go with a LONG while ago.

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

9 hours ago, 2018cnaumann said:

I've been Using the new windows 10 version for awhile now. And I can safely say that it's something you'll have mixed feelings about. So ill go over the good bad and the ugly.

The Good

- Updated UI Design, Is A Lot Less Cumbersome To Use And Is More Customizable

- Xbox Is Less Retarded To Use And Has Its Own Settings Menu Or Tile

- Apps Aimed For People Who Have Mid to High-End Systems And VR

The Bad

- While Being Aimed As An " Update " Its Actually An New Windows 10

- Windows Defender Is More Greedy Than Ever And Aims To Be Antivirus Like In Nature

- Legacy Systems Will Have Trouble Running It Because At Least 3 GB Of RAM Is In Use At Any Time

The Ugly

- Cortana Is Greedier Than Ever And Is Used At Setup

Other than these problems it's still useable for everyday use and hopefully, we get DX 12.1 with this "Update"

So What Do You Think About This Update?

It's not called Service Pack 2. It's called the Creators's Update.

"Service Pack" terminology is old.

2GB RAM is the minimum amount of RAM which can run Windows 10.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

The only think I disliked was the change they did on skype preview, all the rest I don't really care, I have cortana xbox windows defender and all that disable/deleted any ways

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)