3570k owner severely let down by Ryzen

I've been wanting to upgrade since forever but I can't justify spending around $800 worth of parts for a 20% increase in performance. I was hoping Ryzen would save me but it's worse than the current Intel lineup. Is there just no upgrade path for me? I'm already OCd to 4.4Ghz. I guess I'll just wait another 5 years. 

Are you only gaming or are you only using your PC as a workstation?

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

1 minute ago, geo3 said:

I've been wanting to upgrade since forever but I can't justify spending around $800 worth of parts for a 20% increase in performance. I was hoping Ryzen would save me but it's worse than the current Intel lineup. Is there just no upgrade path for me? I'm already OCd to 4.4Ghz. I guess I'll just wait another 5 years. 

wait till the ryzen 5 CPUs to launch later this year, hopefully optimisation for the cpus increase in the next few months and we should hopefully see a performance increase 

Just now, Pohernori said:

Er.... You know the 7700K exists right? 

Yeah. With an average 7700k hitting 5ghz these days youre looking about a %25 increase in IPC with a %12 increase in clock speeds, thats nothing to scoff at

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

1 minute ago, geo3 said:

Yes:

Huh? You're going to need to spend if you buy the 1700 + New mobo + DDR4 Ram

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

6 minutes ago, geo3 said:

If you are talking about gaming then yes! If content creating, streaming, rendering and multitasking then no! Rendering is done about or better than my old 6900k for half the price.

1 minute ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

RAM + Mobo + 7700K adds up to a lot.  

RAM + MOBO + 1700 isn't what I'd really call "much cheaper" 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

1 minute ago, Pohernori said:

He's going to have to do that for any upgrade with current gen parts. That's kind of his point. 

1 minute ago, Pohernori said:

But why would I for worse performance than I'd get from the Intel offering which I already deemed to be a poor value upgrade.

2 minutes ago, Pohernori said:

RAM + MOBO + 1700 isn't what I'd really call "much cheaper" 

Where are you getting the quote "much cheaper" from? OP is pointing out that the performance gains from pretty much any upgrade is going to be fairly small (for the cost). He's never even mentioned a 1700. He's dissatisfied with Ryzen because it doesn't offer much over Intel in terms of performance. With Intel pushing prices down a bit, AMD is pretty much level in terms of price/performance with stuff like the 7700K. 

All Im saying is that getting a 7700k is actually closer to a %30 increase in performance when IPC and increased overclocking ability are taken in account. Also, a basic 7700k setup costs about $550, not 800

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

6 minutes ago, geo3 said:

But why would I for worse performance than I'd get from the Intel offering which I already deemed to be a poor value upgrade.

If your mind is on intel then get it! Do you game mainly?

5 minutes ago, Moress said:

All Im saying is that getting a 7700k is actually closer to a %30 increase in performance when IPC and increased overclocking ability are taken in account. Also, a basic 7700k setup costs about $550, not 800

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/fVgWKZ Please explain how I can get equivalent for $550 without getting shitty parts.

3 minutes ago, Masteryodi1980 said:

If your mind is on intel then get it! Do you game mainly?

Re-read my post. The upgrade is not worth the price, Intel or AMD. My entire point was to express disappointment in this Ryzen release because it changed nothing for me. 

The Ryzen 7 lineup was created as a cheap alternative to workstation parts. Sure, the 1800X doesn't perform as well as the 6900k does, but it comes very close at half the price. People who wanted the Ryzen 7 lineup for gaming only are like people who buy a 6950X for gaming only. It really doesn't make sense to buy a CPU with lower clocks and higher cores just for games, which prefer higher clocks. If you're wanting a gaming setup, wait for the rest of the Ryzen lineup to launch in a few months.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

29 minutes ago, geo3 said:

If you're talking overall performance, the r7 chips offer a 2x or more performance boost over your 3570k.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

1 minute ago, TheRandomness said:

If you're wanting a gaming setup, wait for the rest of the Ryzen lineup to launch in a few months.

It was my impression they will be the exact same architecture and clocks as the current line up, only with less cores.  

I think you are missing the point... Everyone is talking about being "disappointed" with Ryzen release...... I am not, but I am not using for gaming, but for a server with multiple tasks running at the same time..... You buy hardware for what you use it for not what you think it should be used for.... If you game only then buy Intel, If you want the best of both worlds look into Ryzen.. or dont buy anything at all... no one can make you spend your money. 

Just now, geo3 said:

It was my impression they will be the exact same architecture and clocks as the current line up, only with less cores.  

Less cores meaning that they can clock higher, and therefore can close the gap between the current lineup and Kaby Lake.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

Just now, geo3 said:

No one knows because it hasn't been released.. I have watched a few reviews of CPU's that were overclocked and optimized on Ryzen 7's and hit better FPS... It is a possibility that the R5 and R3 will be better overclockers or have higher clocks improving performance.  Also by that time most of the kinks could be worked out..... No guarantee's either way.   

Just now, geo3 said:

? Where are you getting your information?

4 core/4 thread vs 8 core /16 thread with slightly better ipc... 

But then again, if you mean simply single thread performance, you'll be better served by kaby lake...

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case