3570k owner severely let down by Ryzen

38 minutes ago, geo3 said:

I've been wanting to upgrade since forever but I can't justify spending around $800 worth of parts for a 20% increase in performance. I was hoping Ryzen would save me but it's worse than the current Intel lineup. Is there just no upgrade path for me? I'm already OCd to 4.4Ghz. I guess I'll just wait another 5 years. 

Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge was a good year for Intel.  Hard to replicate that.

There's no more room for major IPC gains.  Transistors are almost as close as they can possibly be.  Major innovations in cpu architecture will have to take place for things to progress further.

Honestly, even though AMD's philosophy of "let's hope developers learn how to use our CPU" bugged me with FX, it almost needs to happen 'soon'.  Optimization for more cores is the only current way for computers to get significantly faster performance gains (on current architectures).

1 minute ago, Biggerboot said:

Optimization for more cores is the only current way for computers to get significantly faster performance gains.

I'm guessing your not a programmer? Lots of problems are simply inherently un-paralleliseable. Those that are still pose significant challenges to development. 

1 minute ago, geo3 said:

I'm guessing your not a programmer? Lots of problems are simply inherently un-paralleliseable. Those that are still pose significant challenges to development. 

Well simple then stick with your current set up! LoL!

37 minutes ago, geo3 said:

I am aware it's more difficult than it sounds, and that a lot of common processing are done in order very fast rather than parallel.  My understanding doesn't extend well beyond that. 

This is more speculation than anything, I'm basically stating that the way cpu architecture or programming works now has to go through some changes.  It may or may not be possible on the current silicon based stuff though.

33 minutes ago, geo3 said:

Sadly, It's just not fast enough for me....

Wait till Icelake/Tigerlake then.  Intel's 10nm chips.

1 hour ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

He's going to have to do that for any upgrade with current gen parts. That's kind of his point. 

It's already been made quite clear even before Ryzen's launch, that ipc will not compete with the 7700K 

Where'd he expect the Ryzen to be more than 20% of gaming performance over his current i5? No idea.

1 hour ago, geo3 said:

But why would I for worse performance than I'd get from the Intel offering which I already deemed to be a poor value upgrade.

But why would you expect anything more when AMD has made it so clear that they're only expecting haswell level of ipc to which i'd like to add is not really that far away from your ivy bridge CPU

1 hour ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Where are you getting the quote "much cheaper" from? OP is pointing out that the performance gains from pretty much any upgrade is going to be fairly small (for the cost). He's never even mentioned a 1700. He's dissatisfied with Ryzen because it doesn't offer much over Intel in terms of performance. With Intel pushing prices down a bit, AMD is pretty much level in terms of price/performance with stuff like the 7700K. 

The much cheaper was derived from your post.

Stating that an 7700K + RAM + MOBO adds up to alot would imply that 7700K + RAM + MOBO would cost alot of money. To which I replied to you that a ryzen setup won't be costing much less. 

EITHER WAY

I'd like to steer away before this explodes. I will admit, I sounded quite stuck up. heh.

56 minutes ago, geo3 said:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/fVgWKZ Please explain how I can get equivalent for $550 without getting shitty parts.

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/xCRhTH
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/xCRhTH/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($338.77 @ OutletPC) 
CPU Cooler: Deepcool CAPTAIN 240 EX 153.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($69.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: ASRock Z270 Extreme4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($145.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($99.00 @ Newegg) 
Total: $653.75
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-03-05 11:02 EST-0500

Its not $550 but a very competent 7700K need not cost $800. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

17 minutes ago, Pohernori said:

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/xCRhTH
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/xCRhTH/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($338.77 @ OutletPC) 
CPU Cooler: Deepcool CAPTAIN 240 EX 153.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($69.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: ASRock Z270 Extreme4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($145.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($99.00 @ Newegg) 
Total: $653.75
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-03-05 11:02 EST-0500

Its not $550 but a very competent 7700K need not cost $800. 

Hmm.... It's got me thinking, how much could I sell my current parts for as a bare-bones offering to offset the cost of the upgrade? I have a case and an old GTX460 I could put them together with.

3570k that reliably OC's to 4.4

Asus Z77-V Lk 

32GB of DDR3 1600

Old Antec mid tower

GTX460

No PSU or drives

2 minutes ago, geo3 said:

Hmm.... It's got me thinking, how much could I sell my current parts for as a bare-bones offering to offset the cost of the upgrade? I have a case and an old GTX460 I could put them together with.

Asus Z77-V Lk 

32GB of DDR3 1600

Old Antec mid tower

GTX460

No PSU or drives

No experience in the US used market. A glance through ebay shows me a $400-300 but I'd advice you against my pricing. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

To me, if your current system isn't that much worse than the best a bunch of money can get you, that's good news, not bad ^_^

18 minutes ago, geo3 said:

Asus Z77-V Lk 

32GB of DDR3 1600

Old Antec mid tower

GTX460

No PSU or drives

$300 best case scenario.  The gtx 460 doesn't really help it tbh.

If you don't want to part it out I would just sell the 3570k with the cooler, mobo, and RAM.  I think the value will only get a lot better if it's a full working system after that.  If you can find someone to buy it from you locally though, then it's worth a shot (craigslist, r/hardwareswap, etc).

On 5.3.2017 at 4:42 PM, geo3 said:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/fVgWKZ Please explain how I can get equivalent for $550 without getting shitty parts.

Re-read my post. The upgrade is not worth the price, Intel or AMD. My entire point was to express disappointment in this Ryzen release because it changed nothing for me. 

Well, I do not know why you believe you need 32Gb ob RAM for gaming and also no one forces you to buy a 100$ AIO watercooler.
You can easily get a good upgrade for ~600$ or like 570$ if you use your current cpu cooler.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3JPbyf

Not saying that it is a great deal, but you sure do not HAVE to spend 800$ to get a i7 Kaby Lake.