Microsoft Reduces Windows Update Size

Guest Kloaked
Just now, NumLock21 said:

Since vista, lets say you have home premium and you want pro. All you need to do is open up, add new windows features. This will then take you to ms store where you can purchase pro. When you are done, windows just grabs a few pro features windows updates and it does not download the entire pro iso. So instead of spending at least 2 hours for the job to complete. It just took about 10 minutes. 

Isn't this almost similar to what they are doing now. 

No. That was the same OS, just adding new programs.

This isn't about adding new programs to the existing collection in the OS, it's about making the updates for those programs delivered in smaller packages.

So before say you add the hyper v hypervisor. That downloads full size. But now a windows update comes out for a file in it. What happens? The whole file has to be replaced. 2 bytes of a 20gb file change? Download the whole 20gb file all over. Obviously I'm exagurating to make the point more obvious but smaller files add up over time.

With Delta's, it just downloads those 2 bytes, and a hash of what the original file should look like. It then hashes the file on your system, makes sure the two hashes match, and if so just patches the original file with the 2 bytes of data. If they don't match up due to file corruption? It doesn't break the process, Windows update will just fall back to the old behavior and download the rest of the file.

1 hour ago, Factory OC said:

This is going to lower the amount of internet i use.

Ironically you're clogging up the thread by quoting the entire OP.

6 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

So... when is MS giving us an option to choose which updates to install? The option that would benefit the user the most. I think it should actually be comimg soon iirc, read about that somewhere.

two changes in task scheduler and updates no longer reboost your machine.

main rig

Spoiler

corsair 750d | evga 1000w g2 | Gigabyte x99 soc champ | 5820k 4.0GHz | 1tb wd blue | 250gb samsung 840 evo  | Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 16GB 8x2 DDR4-2400 | MSI GTX 970 x2 | monitor Acer B286HK 28" 4K | razor chroma blackwidow  | razor death adder chroma

CENTOS 7 SERVER (PLEX&docker stuff)

Spoiler

NZXT s220 | evga 500w 80+ | AMD FX 8320e | ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 | 2x8gb non ecc ddr3 WD red 2TBx2 | seagate 160gb microcenter 8gb flashdrive OS

Yeah they talked about this for some time. Long overdue kinda, even it's not some very important thing. But soon enough.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

i could see this screwing up update systems for organizations who choose which updates to give to systems

something like this would require servers to have support for the new and old update systems

many organizations don't like using win10 (mainly because of not having a choice of what updates to install into the systems and privacy reasons cuse win10(enterprise doesn't have privacy problems), there are some things microsoft do right)

if you don't know what i'm talking about read this on TechNet, (microsoft's official documentation on their software)

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh852345(v=ws.11).aspx

it states:

The Windows Server Update Service (WSUS) enables information technology administrators to deploy the latest Microsoft product updates. By using WSUS, administrators can fully manage the distribution of updates that are released through Microsoft Update to computers in their network. 

this new form of WSUS could really do damage to some organizations systems, as they have designed it to their needs

i really hope microsoft won't force organizations to use this new system

****SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH IT'S REALLY TERRIBLE*****

Been married to my wife for 3 years now! Yay!

6 minutes ago, samiscool51 said:

i could see this screwing up update systems for organizations who choose which updates to give to systems

something like this would require servers to have support for the new and old update systems

many organizations don't like using win10 (mainly because of not having a choice of what updates to install into the systems and privacy reasons cuse win10(enterprise doesn't have privacy problems), there are some things microsoft do right)

if you don't know what i'm talking about read this on TechNet, (microsoft's official documentation on their software)

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh852345(v=ws.11).aspx

it states:

this new form of WSUS could really do damage to some organizations systems, as they have designed it to their needs

i really hope microsoft won't force organizations to use this new system

Unless they're using LTSB then they'll likely have to use this system.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Just now, AluminiumTech said:

Unless they're using LTSB then they'll likely have to use this system.

do you work as an IT admin?

because if you do you would know....

almost every organization uses an LTSB windows server OS for windows based workplaces!

no-one uses nano-server as it's not useful in most workplaces!

sorry...

i'm in a ranting mood...

didn't get fired or anything, it's one of those days...

(not those type of days woman get! god you perv!)

****SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH IT'S REALLY TERRIBLE*****

Been married to my wife for 3 years now! Yay!

10 hours ago, Sniperfox47 said:

No. That was the same OS, just adding new programs.

This isn't about adding new programs to the existing collection in the OS, it's about making the updates for those programs delivered in smaller packages.

So before say you add the hyper v hypervisor. That downloads full size. But now a windows update comes out for a file in it. What happens? The whole file has to be replaced. 2 bytes of a 20gb file change? Download the whole 20gb file all over. Obviously I'm exagurating to make the point more obvious but smaller files add up over time.

With Delta's, it just downloads those 2 bytes, and a hash of what the original file should look like. It then hashes the file on your system, makes sure the two hashes match, and if so just patches the original file with the 2 bytes of data. If they don't match up due to file corruption? It doesn't break the process, Windows update will just fall back to the old behavior and download the rest of the file.

Home Premium does not have the features that's available in Professional, so how could I just be adding those programs when it's not even there in the first place. It's basically the same thing, instead of me downloading a 4GB ISO just to upgrade, all I had to do was download like a 100MB file and add that, where Home Premium changes to Professional. This function has been here for a long time, just that MS has decided to recently announce it recently. Windows 7 Service Pack 1 64bit comes in at 903.2MB. On a clean non SP1 install of Win7, after installing a bunch of windows updates, Windows 7 Service Pack 1 will only show up in Windows Update with a file size of just  aprox. 41MB, instead of the full 903.2MB.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

36 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Home Premium does not have the features that's available in Professional, so how could I just be adding those programs when it's not even there in the first place. It's basically the same thing, instead of me downloading a 4GB ISO just to upgrade, all I had to do was download like a 100MB file and add that, where Home Premium changes to Professional. This function has been here for a long time, just that MS has decided to recently announce it recently. Windows 7 Service Pack 1 64bit comes in at 903.2MB. On a clean non SP1 install of Win7, after installing a bunch of windows updates, Windows 7 Service Pack 1 will only show up in Windows Update with a file size of just  aprox. 41MB, instead of the full 903.2MB.

Again, cumulative updates and delta updates are very different in implementation.  Traditional Windows updates have always been on a file level where delta updates are updates of only parts of files.

The reason why Service pack one is smaller in that case is because it doesn't have to bundle in those other updates as cumulative and only has to update the files which the service pack itself explicitly applies to. It still has to do an update of the whole files though, regardless of how much of them has actually changed.

Delta updates specifically allow it to download only *part* of any of those given files, further reducing the size.

And again, Windows 10 build upgrades, version feature "updates", and standard windows updates are all *very* different in implementation. The Windows 7 Service pack was of the third catagory. It was just a standard cumulative windows update.

Windows 10 builds are far more similar to say upgrading from vista to 7 than from 7 home to 7 pro.