Microsoft Reduces Windows Update Size

Guest Kloaked

I bet you were expecting clickbait from me

creators-update-1.jpg

Back in November, Microsoft announded a Windows 10 feature called "Unified Update Platform" that which Windows Insiders were the first to actually get their hands on sometime in December. Us normies will get this feature whenever the "Creators Update" launches this spring. Ah spring... wherefore art thou?

In addition to those very handy snooze and schedule features, the UUP significantly shrinks the size of future updates by saving users the trouble of downloading an entire build of their operating system.

That feature is called differential download packages, which is a technical term for "only downloads what you need."

From another source, specifically Microsoft's Blog about this feature:

As a recap, one of the biggest benefits UUP brings to our customers is a reduction in download size of build updates on PCs. We’ve converged technologies in our build and publishing systems to enable differential downloads for both PC and Mobile.

A differential download package contains only the changes that have been made since the last time you updated your device, rather than a full build. Differential download packages rely on re-using files on your current OS to reconstruct the newer OS. This could include copying files as-is that have not changed between builds, or it could involve applying “binary deltas” or “diffs” to old files to generate newer files. Differential download packages are smaller and can take a shorter amount of time to download.

This is good for lower end laptops with only 32GB of emmc flash storage...

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN RESPONDING

Please Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It. Take Time & Explain

New TOS RUINED the meme that used to be below :( 

6 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Hopefully this stops the lockups caused by updates.

And the clickbait.

Well done, took you long enough.

I and others knew about this for over 6 months and now you're only just talking about it.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

So... when is MS giving us an option to choose which updates to install? The option that would benefit the user the most. I think it should actually be comimg soon iirc, read about that somewhere.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Can Microsoft just bring back that Windows 8 feature that postpones update installation for 48 hours. They took that thing away with Windows 10.

IMG_5221.PNG

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

1 minute ago, hey_yo_ said:

Can Microsoft just bring back that Windows 8 feature that postpones update installation for 48 hours. They took that thing away with Windows 10.

IMG_5221.PNG

Disable automatic updates, it postpones updates as long as you want until it suits you.

Just now, DrMikeNZ said:

Disable automatic updates, it postpones updates as long as you want until it suits you.

I don't have to do that with Windows 8. Windows 10 too, that feature away. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Woo. Windows update finally has a feature that yum, apt, DNF, and pacman, and android have had for well over 10 years. Good job Microsoft *clap.... clap.... clap....*

Hell *Windows Phone 8* supported Delta OTA updates... Why was this ever not a thing in Windows 10...

1 hour ago, Sniperfox47 said:

Woo. Windows update finally has a feature that yum, apt, DNF, and pacman, and android have had for well over 10 years. Good job Microsoft *clap.... clap.... clap....*

Hell *Windows Phone 8* supported Delta OTA updates...

I'm not so sure about that.

I'd be able to tell you if my Windows Phone had Differential Updates. I'm highly confident it doesn't.

1 hour ago, Sniperfox47 said:

Why was this ever not a thing in Windows 10...

They implemented a work around which meant they could spend more time honing and perfecting this feature.

The work around they added was P2P updating. I use it with laptop and desktop.

It's nice but differential updated would be nicer.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

7 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

I'm not so sure about that.

I'd be able to tell you if my Windows Phone had Differential Updates. I'm highly confident it doesn't.

They implemented a work around which meant they could spend more time honing and perfecting this feature.

The work around they added was P2P updating. I use it with laptop and desktop.

It's nice but differential updated would be nicer.

Nvm. I'm an idiot. Windows 8 phone has OTAs but not diffs. Why does the Wikipedia article for delta updates include a section on OTAs in general?

Still though, all the other platforms I listed supports delta updates.  90% of Linux package managers by use, and Android

I don't know if it does but does anyone know if MacOS supports Deltas and for how long they have?

Between this and Audio Class 2 support it looks like they may finally have most of the basic features they should have had 8 years ago.

Let's just hope it doesn't take them another 10 years to support the USB Audio Class 3 spec that launched last year...

1 minute ago, Sniperfox47 said:

Nvm. I'm an idiot. Windows 8 phone has OTAs but not diffs. Why does the Wikipedia article for delta updates include a section on OTAs in general?

Still though, all the other platforms I listed supports delta updates.  90% of Linux package managers by use, and Android

I don't know if it does but does anyone know if MacOS supports Deltas and for how long they have?

Mac doesn't have Delta updates.

Again, i'd know. When updating my mom's mac it downloads the full file size.

4 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

So... when is MS giving us an option to choose which updates to install? The option that would benefit the user the most. I think it should actually be comimg soon iirc, read about that somewhere.

I thought that was what this was when I first read about it. I got sad

2 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Mac doesn't have Delta updates.

Again, i'd know. When updating my mom's mac it downloads the full file size.

*facepalms* why are the two OSes used most commonly by users the ones that care least about stuff that will positively impact their users experience?

10 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

*facepalms* why are the two OSes used most commonly by users the ones that care least about stuff that will positively impact their users experience?

I genuinely don't know. Microsoft has been testing their "Unified Update Platform" for a good long while. People will get their hands on it in mid to late March OR April.

Just now, AluminiumTech said:

I genuinely don't know. Microsoft has been testing their "Unified Update Platform" for a good long while. People will get their hands on it in mid to late March OR April.

Yeah, but again, considering how long binary Deltas have been a thing, they very easily could have been a thing since back with Windows 7, much less Windows 8 or Windows 10 Launch... I just don't get it... If they planned to have forced updated Deltas should have been a thing from the start to help optimize network traffic. Peer to peer is great, but unless you have a lot of Windows machines on an unmetered network, it's not going to make things that much lighter cost wise.

Isn't this method been out since vista?

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

1 minute ago, NumLock21 said:

No. This has only been in testing for the last 3-6 months.

Differential Updates are different from Cumulative Updates.

11 hours ago, Kloaked said:

I bet you were expecting clickbait from me

creators-update-1.jpg

Back in November, Microsoft announded a Windows 10 feature called "Unified Update Platform" that which Windows Insiders were the first to actually get their hands on sometime in December. Us normies will get this feature whenever the "Creators Update" launches this spring. Ah spring... wherefore art thou?

From another source, specifically Microsoft's Blog about this feature:

This is going to lower the amount of internet i use.

4 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Nope, think Build updates are like a new operating system, you have to download the whole thing. You were thinking of Cumulative Updates.

creators-update-1.jpg

From all the games to show gaming improvement with game mode, they used Minecarft...

2 minutes ago, Factory OC said:

creators-update-1.jpg

From all the games to show gaming improvement with game mode, they used Minecarft...

Because from all the games to show gaming improvement it's the one that they own that's universal across all their platforms.

Just now, Sniperfox47 said:

Because from all the games to show gaming improvement it's the one that they own that's universal across all their platforms.

That makes sense

12 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

No. This has only been in testing for the last 3-6 months.

Differential Updates are different from Cumulative Updates.

9 minutes ago, Factory OC said:

This is going to lower the amount of internet i use.

Nope, think Build updates are like a new operating system, you have to download the whole thing. You were thinking of Cumulative Updates.

Since vista, lets say you have home premium and you want pro. All you need to do is open up, add new windows features. This will then take you to ms store where you can purchase pro. When you are done, windows just grabs a few pro features from, windows updates and it does not download the entire pro iso. So instead of spending at least 2 hours for the job to complete. It just took about 10 minutes. 

Isn't this almost similar to what they are doing now. 

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

3 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Since vista, lets say you have home premium and you want pro. All you need to do is open up, add new windows features. This will then take you to ms store where you can purchase pro. When you are done, windows just grabs a few pro features from, windows updates and it does not download the entire pro iso. So instead of spending at least 2 hours for the job to complete. It just took about 10 minutes. 

Isn't this almost similar to what they are doing now. 

Well, when you put it in that way, yes, you are correct.