Is my PC good enough for 1440p 144hz?

IAR117

I have an i7 4790 Fury X and 16gb DDR3. Is this enough to play AAA games at medium or above settings at 1440p 144hz? Thanks in advance

possiably, medium migh work but higher then that i doubt it

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Yes, but depends on what games you play.

Definitely dont expect Ultra settings but almost all games on High should you comfortably get well above 90FPS.

E-Sport games.... all will run well at max settings at 144FPS.

See my Sig. Average FPS in AAA Titles. Max settings, medium AA 70-100FPS. More than enough.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

Your PC is 100% capable of 1440p and 144 Hz.

Every game. Every. single. No problem.

Now a bit more detail, lets say you run everything on native 1440p resolution (which you should on EVERY!!! Game):

- Will you be able to cap 144 fps on every game on Ultra? Nope. you will not. Not even with a Titan XP.

- Will you be able to hit at least 60 fps in the most demanding hard AAA games? Probably not even that, if you cap every single Setting to the max.

Now the important point:

- Do you HAVE to set everything to Ultra²? No you don't. Which is something, many don't understand :) If you have somewhere xx fps, and you want more, you simply reduce Settings. Use High, instead of Ultra. -0,5% Image quality, + 30% fps. Want more?  Put a few settings to medium.

Graphic Settings are no decoration to look good in the Menu screen. They are there, to be USED: so USE them to find YOUR personal Balance between Graphic Quality, and fps.

- Your Monitor is NOT Tied to your GPU. You will eventually upgrade your GPU. Maybe to Vega, maybe Vega 2 or whatever it's called. But your Monitor might still be there.

There is no Problem reducing Settings today, untill your Upgrade your GPU.

- If you have no Problems using Medium: You will run EVERY single Game smoothly (smoothly = at least 60+ min-fps).

Especially, if that Monitor is a Freesync Monitor. Variable Refresh rate is AWESOME, if you can not hold stable super high fps. With Freesync, it doesn't matter, if you get 50 fps, or 130 fps. It will be smooth. Sure, 130 will look smoother than 50. But you won't have to deal with Tearing or Stuttering, which is always a big plus.

Also, keep in Mind: You do NOT need 144 fps, to benefit from an 144 Hz Display. ^^

7 hours ago, Darkseth said:

Your PC is 100% capable of 1440p and 144 Hz.

Every game. Every. single. No problem.

Now a bit more detail, lets say you run everything on native 1440p resolution (which you should on EVERY!!! Game):

- Will you be able to cap 144 fps on every game on Ultra? Nope. you will not. Not even with a Titan XP.

- Will you be able to hit at least 60 fps in the most demanding hard AAA games? Probably not even that, if you cap every single Setting to the max.

Now the important point:

- Do you HAVE to set everything to Ultra²? No you don't. Which is something, many don't understand :) If you have somewhere xx fps, and you want more, you simply reduce Settings. Use High, instead of Ultra. -0,5% Image quality, + 30% fps. Want more?  Put a few settings to medium.

Graphic Settings are no decoration to look good in the Menu screen. They are there, to be USED: so USE them to find YOUR personal Balance between Graphic Quality, and fps.

- Your Monitor is NOT Tied to your GPU. You will eventually upgrade your GPU. Maybe to Vega, maybe Vega 2 or whatever it's called. But your Monitor might still be there.

There is no Problem reducing Settings today, untill your Upgrade your GPU.

- If you have no Problems using Medium: You will run EVERY single Game smoothly (smoothly = at least 60+ min-fps).

Especially, if that Monitor is a Freesync Monitor. Variable Refresh rate is AWESOME, if you can not hold stable super high fps. With Freesync, it doesn't matter, if you get 50 fps, or 130 fps. It will be smooth. Sure, 130 will look smoother than 50. But you won't have to deal with Tearing or Stuttering, which is always a big plus.

Also, keep in Mind: You do NOT need 144 fps, to benefit from an 144 Hz Display. ^^

Damn, you win the award for lengthy answer. I haven't experienced PC gaming yet and silly as it sounds, my mind is blown by the PS4 at 1080p. Should I go for 1440p medium or 1080p ultra? It is an XF270HU

You should go for 1440p High, instead 1080p Ultra. ^^ Going from 1080p to 1440p doesn't reduce fps THAT much. Maybe 30% or something. Depends on the GPU.

Ultra settings mostly bring changes, that you can search in screenshots for.

Higher resolution can make textures etc to flicker less.

Not to mention, everything will be sharper, AND in Desktop mode you have much more space to work with.

With THAT Monitor (it's a native 1440p panel, right?) you should play in 1440p anyway. Using 1080p resolution on a 1440p Monitor can look actually much worse, because of how the Monitor scales lower resolutions. So it can look even more pixely, than on a native 1080p screen.

So... just use native Resolution in all times, and use Settings to play with ^^

25 minutes ago, Darkseth said:

You should go for 1440p High, instead 1080p Ultra. ^^ Going from 1080p to 1440p doesn't reduce fps THAT much. Maybe 30% or something. Depends on the GPU.

Ultra settings mostly bring changes, that you can search in screenshots for.

Higher resolution can make textures etc to flicker less.

Not to mention, everything will be sharper, AND in Desktop mode you have much more space to work with.

With THAT Monitor (it's a native 1440p panel, right?) you should play in 1440p anyway. Using 1080p resolution on a 1440p Monitor can look actually much worse, because of how the Monitor scales lower resolutions. So it can look even more pixely, than on a native 1080p screen.

So... just use native Resolution in all times, and use Settings to play with ^^

I wouldn't be playing at 1080p on a 1440p monitor, I'd find another 1080p one. I have an R9 Fury X if that helps. If I'm getting for example 80 fps+, is it worth getting a 1440p freesync 144hz monitor, or should I buy a 60hz 1440p panel instead? Thanks