iPad air explodes in Vodafone shop in Australia

A brand new iPad Air exploded in flames in an Australian mobile phone store.

The explosion and fire were so severe that the fire brigade had to be called in to fight the smoke and sparks that were continuing to burst out from the device.

The incident occurred in a Vodafone store in Canberra and the shop had to be evacuated.A Vodafone spokesperson said a ‘burst of flames’ appeared from the charging port of the brand new iPad Retina demonstration model, Sydney’s Daily Telegraph reported.

As the store filled with smoke, firemen rushed to the store and put out the fire.

Although no staff members or customers were injured during the incident, the new model iPad Air, released by Apple globally on November 1, was completely destroyed, the appearance of its frame suggesting it had suffered from extreme heat.

It is understood a representative from Apple visited the store to collect the iPad for testing and try to establish what caused the explosion.

No comment has been available from Apple, which released the dramatically thin new model with the claim that it created an entirely new mobile computing experience.

With its thinner appearance, lighter weight and faster processor than the earlier model, it has been received favourably by technology writers.

US, Japanese, Chinese and Korean companies are believed to be involved in the manufacture of iPads and iPhones.

Source

Well, that Air went up in smoke.

Badum-tish!!!

OMFG terrible pun just terrible, but I know... someone had to do it xD

PC Specs:

CPU: i5 4670K  4.5 GHz  | CPU COOLER: H80i | GPU:EVGA GTX 780Ti  |  Motherboard: MSI Z87I   |  Case: Bitfenix Prodigy  |  RAM: 8GB Avexir Venom  |  HDD: Seagate 1TB , 60GB Agility 3  Monitor: 32" HD TV (LOL)   PSU: Corsair 750W

Did it had some kind of note from Foxconn slav... worker?

In his defence, he got paid about five cents. Minimum wage=minimum work.

"Say it, do it, preach it, shout it, but never, absolutely never, believe your own bullshit"   

Credited with the whole female avatar trend

Your thoughts here http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/67178-your-top-three/

Hmm.... when you buy an iPad and bring it home it should play "The bomb has been planted" sound from counter strike. :D

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

In his defence, he got paid about five cents. Minimum wage=minimum work.

Yeah, but they still like to send messages...

<p>Eryi's Action Rule#2 - "Dont jump on the green mushroom"

Ministry of StopIt!

Is it just me, or have a lot of stories like this been popping up lately? I can think of at least three incidences (just in the last year or so!) where someone's Apple product caused physical harm after bursting into flame or shocking the crap out of them. Now, granted, at least one of those was due to a shoddy Chinese knock-off charger, but after so many times it just isn't coincidence anymore.

Blackout - Intel Core i5-4670K | Xigmatek Dark Knight II Nighthawk Ed. | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 (2GB) | 8GB Corsair Vengeance Mem. | Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H Mobo | 250GB Samsung 840 Series SSD | 1TB WD Black HDD | Seasonic Platinum SS-660XP2 660w PSU

To be fair, faults happen, it seems like this is a one off as concerning as it is.

Intel i7 3770k, Maximus V Formula, 32GB G.Skill 1600MHz RAM, ASUS DCUII GTX 670

I don't like Apple (not products, the company)

So this should instill fear in people who were thinking about buying their products. :D

Is it just me, or have a lot of stories like this been popping up lately? I can think of at least three incidences (just in the last year or so!) where someone's Apple product caused physical harm after bursting into flame or shocking the crap out of them. Now, granted, at least one of those was due to a shoddy Chinese knock-off charger, but after so many times it just isn't coincidence anymore.

To be fair, faults happen, it seems like this is a one off as concerning as it is.

Well there goes my point :P

But really, thinking about the market share Apple has it isn't unexpected that faults happen. Remember OCZ SSDs?

Intel i7 3770k, Maximus V Formula, 32GB G.Skill 1600MHz RAM, ASUS DCUII GTX 670

Soon enough terrorists will be using Ipad Air instead of C4 or other explosives.

Ministry of StopIt!

Soon enough terrorists will be using Ipad Air instead of C4 or other explosives.

Next CoD will feature iPad Air instead of grenades.

Well, that Air went up in smoke.

That pun....

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

Next CoD will feature iPad Air instead of grenades.

CoD game will cost 400$, because Activision will have to pay Apple for using their products and names.

Ministry of StopIt!

CoD game will cost 400$, because Activision will have to pay Apple for using their products and names.

And need 8GB of RAM.

Ya dont need the branding on it. Haha!

Noobie programer. :)

CoD 6G. Then a half year later, 6GS. It will be the exact same game, but feature two new weapons.

Blackout - Intel Core i5-4670K | Xigmatek Dark Knight II Nighthawk Ed. | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 (2GB) | 8GB Corsair Vengeance Mem. | Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H Mobo | 250GB Samsung 840 Series SSD | 1TB WD Black HDD | Seasonic Platinum SS-660XP2 660w PSU

Maybe they don't work that well upside down.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

CoD 6G. Then a half year later, 6GS. It will be the exact same game, but feature two new weapons.

COD 6C.. Comes with brightly coloured guns and hats for you soldier.. 

CPU: i7 4770k | GPU: Sapphire 290 Tri-X OC | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 2x8GB | MTB: GA-Z87X-UD5HCOOLER: Noctua NH-D14 | PSU: Corsair 760i | CASE: Corsair 550D | DISPLAY:  BenQ XL2420TE

Firestrike scores - Graphics: 10781 Physics: 9448 Combined: 4289

"Nvidia, Fuck you" - Linus Torvald

For you 3 times is so many time it can't be a coincedence anymore? do you have any idea how many idevices exist in the world note? 3 out of 300 million isn't that bad. . .

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

i think the ipad being blown up is an older generation ipad,not the ipad air,as from the photo it looks like it has a thick bezel...

anyway, i wonder what caused the explosion...

Sounds like summer is starting half a month early.

Spoiler

4790k @ 4.5Ghz 1.180v NZXT Kraken X31 | MSI Z97 Krait | Kingston Hyper X Fury 32GB 1866Mhz, 2 DIMMs white and 2 black | GTX 980 Ti - G1 Gaming | GTX 680 - Reference | SilverStone ST75F-P | Phanteks Enthoo Pro

this is why lithium batteries are so unpredictable...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

• 4 months later...

Sorry for the necro but I thought of this recently again and this news is still something I find funny. :P