Apple will be putting Usb-C on the newer iPhones [RUMOUR]

AG1233

Here’s a rumor we’ve not heard before. According to a report from The Wall Street Journal, the next iPhones will feature a “USB-C port for the power cord and other peripheral devices instead of the company’s original Lightning connector.” 

The wording isn’t 100 percent clear, but the WSJ seems to be suggesting that Apple will drop the iPhone’s proprietary Lightning port in favor of the industry’s standard USB Type-C connector. It would be an unusual move for Apple, which has never been afraid of pushing its own connection standards, but not completely inexplicable. The company has already adopted USB-C on its MacBook line, and the two standards share some key features, including reversibility.

I find it really hard to believe Apple will be incorporating USB Type C on the Newer iPhone mainly considering they recently came up with the new Beats and EarPods which both have the lighting connector although I would love to be proven wrong here by Apple.

It’s also possible that the WSJ report means that USB-C will be incorporated not into the phone itself, but into its power adapters. That would mean replacing the USB-A plug on the end of the iPhone power cable with USB-C, like Apple has done with the adapters that ship with new MacBooks. This would make sense, allowing users who buy the new iPhone to charge it from their new MacBook using the cable that comes in the box. Apple’s new Ultra Accessory Connector (UAC) also makes it unlikely that the company will be dropping its Lightning port from the next iPhone.

This I believe has more chances of happening than the previous Quote

Also the report comes from WSJ not the best website for tech news so take it with a grain of salt.

Source-

http://www.theverge.com/2017/2/28/14760400/iphone-8-2017-rumors-usb-c-lightning

Nah I doubt it. They make money off charging people money if they make chargers with lightning connectors and if they move the USB c they can't do that :D 

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

This would definitively be just to avoid being bitchslapped by the EU. But alas as long as it gets done we can get rid of their stupid proprietary standards and avoid having always 1 or 2 people in the office constantly looking for an apple charging cable.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Just now, CapedCrusader21 said:

I would love for this to happen, but unfortunately I don't think it will.

As I alluded to it might if they are compelled to do so by a body in the EU that dictate all phones need the same charger. It's why most phones today are microusb and not proprietary connectors like in the early 2000s. Apple has been notoriously absent from this and if the EU would block them from selling their phone, instead of going with 2 models they might just switch all devices to usb-c.

-------

Current Rig

-------

9 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Nah I doubt it. They make money off charging people money if they make chargers with lightning connectors and if they move the USB c they can't do that :D 

I find it really hard to believe as well that they will be removing lighting for type C

It’s also possible that the WSJ report means that USB-C will be incorporated not into the phone itself, but into its power adapters. That would mean replacing the USB-A plug on the end of the iPhone power cable with USB-C,

As I said in the original post the chances of ^ this happening are higher

15 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

How about a USB C port that's only compatible to Apple devices

29 minutes ago, AG1233 said:

I find it really hard to believe Apple will be incorporating USB Type C on the Newer iPhone mainly considering they recently came up with the new Beats and EarPods which both have the lighting connector although I would love to be proven wrong here by Apple.

This I believe has more chances of happening than the previous Quote

Also the report comes from WSJ not the best website for tech news so take it with a grain of salt.

Source-

http://www.theverge.com/2017/2/28/14760400/iphone-8-2017-rumors-usb-c-lightning

WSJ.

please plase please this will also encourage growth in the usb c headphone market

I lurk a lot

would be nice and actually have support for android phones that took the risk and went with C.

CPU: i7 5820k @4.4GHz | MoboMSI MPower X99A | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Quad Channel Corsair LP | GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW Case: Define R5 Black Window | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB 2x WD Red 4TB | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Display:Acer XF270HU + Dell U2515H | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Keyboard: Ducky One  TKL Browns | Mouse: Steel Series Rival 300 | Sound: DT990s

52 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

This would definitively be just to avoid being bitchslapped by the EU. But alas as long as it gets done we can get rid of their stupid proprietary standards and avoid having always 1 or 2 people in the office constantly looking for an apple charging cable.

Except Apple will somehow find a way to make only their USB-C cables work with iPhones and others not work properly.

2 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

Except Apple will somehow find a way to make only their USB-C cables work with iPhones and others not work properly.

That is not that hard for them I'll bet. It would not be first time for them to disable chargers from 3rd parties that they have certified with software update.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

24 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

The EU would fine them heavily they're not stupid: The regulation is precisely to avoid proprietary chargers. They could try but I think they'll just fight the proprietary battle with wireless charging instead. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

Lightning was not primarily made to have their own connector - it was made because the alternative (Micro USB) just sucks. Now that this has been fixed with USB-C, there is no reason to keep the lightning connector, especially since it is only USB 2.0.

Edit: I therefore firmly expect the coming generations of iPhones to feature USB-C and this rumour does not surprise me.

THIS SIGNATURE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Honestly? I prefer Lightning over USB-C due to the structure of the connector itself. Lightning is a solid male connector joining with a solid female connector, without the need for another hole in the middle of the male connector like USB-C has.

Inb4 jokes about male and female "connectors"

2 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

As I alluded to it might if they are compelled to do so by a body in the EU that dictate all phones need the same charger. It's why most phones today are microusb and not proprietary connectors like in the early 2000s. Apple has been notoriously absent from this and if the EU would block them from selling their phone, instead of going with 2 models they might just switch all devices to usb-c.

Those regulations generally apply to the port on the wall wart side, or they are the ones that the commissions actually care about and put pressure on the companies over. They got around this before by making their chargers have a type-A USB port on one side, and a 30pin/lightning/thunderbolt/whatever on the other side. The EU has been hesitant to crack down on the phone side port for a while. Maybe this is the commissions putting pressure on them, but i somewhat doubt that.

It would be great if they did move to USB-C because it does everything that they use lightning for, and its not like people need the thunderbolt3 40gbps speed transferring their photos when everything is on iCloud anyway. Id love to live in a world where i can steal someone else's charger if needed because my n5x has a C port. Currently only 2 of my friends have phones with C on them.

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

$20 says USB Type C only in the EU.  

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

SOURCE https://arstechnica.co.uk/apple/2017/02/iphone-7s-details-rumours-leaks/

Spoiler

But the most interesting suggestion in the report is that Apple could drop its proprietary Lightning port in favour of USB-C, the industry standard that has slowly been trickling out into Android phones, PCs, and Apple's own MacBooks and MacBook Pros in recent years.

IDK if this is the correct format as its my first, please tell me if i need to change anything 

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

It's not news, or a review.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

Probably not because if its not made by apple it's not going in lol

AMD FX 6300 @ 4.6 Ghz CRYORIG H7 Asus M5A97 PLUS | HyperX Fury 8 GB DDR3 | PNY CS1311 120gb SSD WD Blue 1TB 7200 RPM EVGA GeForce GTX 950 Superclocked NZXT Source 210 Black EVGA 500B Logitech G Pro HP K3500 Wireless Keyboard |

Just now, knightslugger said:

It's not news, or a review.

how is it not, if i may ask?

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

A repost mate.

Also you should check out posting guidelines to see the proper format

Just now, AG1233 said:

A repost mate.

Also you should check out posting guidelines to see the proper format

yeah i checked the formatting i provide what i thought was right, maybe a photo example would be better next time,

for the repost, if i may ask how the posts are ordered on the forum?,

oops didnt look further down enough 

stated plainly in the title [RUMOR]. Unsubstantiated guesswork and hearsay.

1 minute ago, KOMTechAndGaming said:

how is it not, if i may ask?

NEWS would be a confirmed report about a happening. you and CNN would do well to understand the difference.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

Just now, knightslugger said:

stated plainly in the title [RUMOR]. Unsubstantiated guesswork and hearsay.

NEWS would be a confirmed report about a happening. you and CNN would do well to understand the difference.

then that means the other thread wouldnt be news but its still up on the forum soooo, and what about all the ryzen rumors that where posted in the news/reviews section is that not news either