Where do all you guys get your music?

RGProductions
On 2017-02-20 at 3:44 PM, wkdpaul said:

Thread cleaned.

Downloading your music from streaming services is against those services ToS, it's against our Community Standards and in most countries, is also illegal (IE YouTube downloader).

I will ask that this thread stay clear of ways to illegally obtain music, so it might be kept open and warning free.

Not illegal from Spotify

Depends.

Usually I buy CDs ( either new in the record store or second-hand on Discogs ) and rip them myself.  At least that way I know for sure that I have a quality rip.

As for digital music, my first go-to sites are :

• mainstream & metal : if 7digital (can't link, URL differs depending on your country) or HDtracks don't have it, I'll fire up a VM with iTunes (don't want any of the Apple crap on my bare metal install), buy the song there and then download it "elsewhere" (I don't do low quality or stupid file formats).
  • indie & lesser known artists : Bandcamp
  • Hardcore : Hardtunes
  • Aggrotech, darkstyle etc : Halotan Records  (many of the albums there can be downloaded in MP3 format for free, some even in FLAC but that link is not as obvious as the big download button for MP3)
  • Newgrounds also is a good place to get some free indie music, but every untalented kid can upload there so you'll need to wade through lots of rubbish to find the good ones.

Oh, and when a song really isn't available due to just not having been released in my region, me downloading it via "other means" does not constitute a lost sale.  While I do try to support the artists and have bought CDs on the other side of the world on several occasions, I have absolutely zero issues pirating a song if that's the only way to get it. 

As for streaming, I don't do that at all.  I usually listen to music when I'm away from home and none of my audio players (Sony NWZ-E384 for podcasts and audio books, Fiio X5ii with Fiio E12A amp for music) have internet connectivity.

Pretty much always Spotify. If it's not on Spotify I'll look for other means of obtaining it. If I really like an album then I'll buy it on CD.