Upgrading to 1070, some advice needed

iTviX
3 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

i agree but looking at the future one will have more support than the other one, hint: one has no sli bridge so the customer has to buy one tier above. 

Yes, because mid-range cards are soooo futureproof and adding a second budget GPU is soooo worth it.

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

2 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Yes, because mid-range cards are soooo futureproof and adding a second budget CPU is soooo worth it.

well a 480 crossfire is quite power compared to a 1060 sl.. wait nevermind. 

4 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Exactly! Idk why everyone keeps saying that the RX 480 destroys the 1060. Like, for real, they are within 1% of each other and depending on which games you play, one might be faster than the other! :D

Agree! I was picking parts for my new system and (At this time I did not know they where the same) I made a 1060 vs RX 480 thread. After 4 pages of responses I FLIPPED A COIN and decided to get the RX.

Since I am to lazy to put something interesting here, I will put everything, but slightly abbreviated. Here is everything:

also, some questions to make you wonder about life:

What is I and who is me? Who is you? Which armrest in the movie theatre is yours?

also,

Welcome to the internet, I will be your guide. Or something.

My build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-7400 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor,

Motherboard: ASRock B250M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard, 

Memory: Corsair 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory,

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive, 

Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 480 4GB ARMOR OC Video Card, 

Case: Corsair 100R ATX Mid Tower Case , 

Power Supply: Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply, 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full, 

Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN725N USB 2.0 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter, Case Fan: Corsair Air Series White 2 pack 52.2 CFM  120mm Fan

ou do not ask why, you ask why not -me

Remeber kinds, the only differ between screwing around and scince is writing it down. -Adam Savage.

Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not even sure of the former. - Albert Einstein.

1 minute ago, nerdslayer1 said:

well a 480 crossfire is quite power compared to a 1060 sl.. wait nevermind. 

If you are going to get 2 480s, you might as well get a single 1070, yes, it is around 20% slower, but, when Nvidia/AMD launches new GPUs, you will get a second 1070 for the same price as an RX480 (right now) which will give you much better performance. SLI/Crossfire for budget GPUs is pointless. (How many people do you know that have 960 SLI or 380 Crossfire configurations)

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

1 minute ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

If you are going to get 2 480s, you might as well get a single 1070, yes, it is around 20% slower, but, when Nvidia/AMD launches new GPUs, you will get a second 1070 for the same price as an RX480 (right now) which will give you much better performance. SLI/Crossfire for budget GPUs is pointless. (How many people do you know that have 960 SLI or 380 Crossfire configurations)

well its about price right? my HTPC has a 480 and down the line, i will get another 480 so there, gtx 1070 is a great card, i have 2 of them but the 480 is the best-priced card. i picked my msi 480 8gb version for 170 usd, so 340 usd for 2 plus tax. remember that i can pick up a used 480 down the line for cheap. for the long run with dx12 and vulkin support its a great investment, also the 480 will improve more as its a 5.5 tflops card while the 1060 is only 1 4.4 tflops so more potential.  crossfire 480 looks really nice i personally love sli, my wife has a fury x, we might get ryzen and vega if everything looks good. 

1 minute ago, nerdslayer1 said:

well its about price right? my HTPC has a 480 and down the line, i will get another 480 so there, gtx 1070 is a great card, i have 2 of them but the 480 is the best-priced card. i picked my msi 480 8gb version for 170 usd, so 340 usd for 2 plus tax. remember that i can pick up a used 480 down the line for cheap. for the long run with dx12 and vulkin support its a great investment, also the 480 will improve more as its a 5.5 tflops card while the 1060 is only 1 4.4 tflops so more potential.  crossfire 480 looks really nice i personally love sli, my wife has a fury x, we might get ryzen and vega if everything looks good. 

I wouldn't get 2 480s or a second 1060 (if it supported SLI). IMO, it isn't worth it, but everyone is entitled to his opinion.

1 hour ago, iTviX said:

You're probably going to want to go AMD for free-sync savings if you're going to upgrade your monitor sometime soon

I'd skip over 1440p 60hz at this point for either

4k 60hz IPS free-sync
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/yfx9TW/lg-27ud58-b-270-60hz-monitor-27ud58-b

Or 1440p 144hz IPS free-sync, both are around $400
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAB714894154

With the XFX GTR being about the best 480 to buy, it'll max out your 1080p display for now, and after you upgrade your monitor Vega will most likely be out to try and max out your monitor
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/fxPzK8/xfx-radeon-rx-480-8gb-gtr-video-card-rx-480p8dfa6

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

What about g-sync, is that no good?

49 minutes ago, iTviX said:

What about g-sync, is that no good?

G-sync at minimum is usually about $100 more than free-sync for the same display specs.

Although for some reason at 4k G-sync is twice the price of the 4k free-sync display above
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/TzfmP6/asus-monitor-pg27aq

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

I wouldnt say the 1070 is overkill for 1080p.

Its about the headroom you WANT for the future titles.

Everyone was saying the GTX970 and GTX980 were overkill for 1080p not too long ago.. then some games came out and not so much anymore..

Depends what your playing if its worth it personally and if you prefer Ultra over High. Id totally jump to GTX1070 if I could, even at 1080p. I use DSR now a lot so having a 1070 wouldnt go to waste either.

IMO of course.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Thanks for the advice everyone!

I have decided on getting the card i was planning on getting (the msi one)

Since a lot of you pointed out that my cpu was a bit too weak, would it be better for me to buy an i7-4790k in a few months like someone suggested or to save up for some time and upgrade motherboard, cpu and ram all at once?