Upgrading to 1070, some advice needed

iTviX

First of all let's get this out of the way, my current specs are:

cpu: i5-4670k (not overclocked. dumb, i know)

gpu: MSI GTX 760

mobo: z87-g43 gaming

ram: 8 GB DDR3 2133

psu: 600 watt, don't know the specifics

So i'm planning to buy an MSI GTX 1070 gaming x

I would like to know:

is it too overkill compared to the rest of my system and will it get bottlenecked?

I'm currently playing on 1080p, but I'm also planning on getting a 1440p screen in the somewhat near future.

Will the card be able to handle modern games on 1440p for the next couple years?

Needless to say, I'm pretty unexperienced with this, so really, any advice is welcome.

Thanks in advance, I realise there's probably a million these posts already

Also, I forgot to ask: How much do you think I could sell a GTX 760 for, if I could even sell it anymore

2 minutes ago, iTviX said:

Also, I forgot to ask: How much do you think I could sell a GTX 760 for, if I could even sell it anymore

Less than $100 (if you want someone to buy it)

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

it's massively faster than your GTX 760
it's somewhat overkill for 1080p...for the most part...and your CPU hold it back some in some games
for 1440p it's a great card and it will run games at 1440p for at least 2 years+ albeit not maxed out

Your i5 and a 1070 is good for 1440p gaming...you will probably want 16GB of RAM in the future and a CPU cooler to overclock your CPU.

GTX 760 is worth around 60-70$USD online

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

depends on the condition look it ip on ebay than sell it locally with 10 to 20 usd markup. 

Yes it will handle things nicely. You can overclock that i5. Bottleneck depends on which game

1 minute ago, patric_o said:

If you want to save some money you could downgrade to a 1060 and with the money saved upgrade your RAM.

i would go for a rx 480, its better than a 1060. 

I would be interested in it once you come up with an asking price.

1 minute ago, nerdslayer1 said:

Depending on which games you like the most...

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

wait for vega's card performance 

and bottleneck in AAA titles, OCing will reduce but still

you can check the % of bottleneck here: http://thebottlenecker.com/bottleneck-calculator/bc.php

Remember to quote me (or someone else), otherwise we won't going to recieve your answers...

PC Specs                   PCPartpicker full performance builds (from350$-1250$)

2 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

1 minute ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Depending on which games you like the most...

in a year from now both will struggle keeping afloat at 1080p gaming i don't know why you guys suggest he do that massive downgrade in performance if he can get a 1070 you get a whole another level of performance and it will remain relevant a lot longer than those weak ass mid-range options.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

4 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

it's massively faster than your GTX 760
it's somewhat overkill for 1080p...for the most part...and your CPU hold it back some in some games
for 1440p it's a great card and it will run games at 1440p for at least 2 years+ albeit not maxed out

Your i5 and a 1070 is good for 1440p gaming...you will probably want 16GB of RAM in the future and a CPU cooler to overclock your CPU.

GTX 760 is worth around 60-70$USD online

I sold mine for 58 USD in the past

1 minute ago, deXxterlab97 said:

I sold mine for 58 USD in the past

you could have gotten 60$USD... :( hahaha

1 minute ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

you could have gotten 60$USD... :( hahaha

Nah, it's an OEM with slightly less performance (look up 760 3gb) but I sold it to one of the form member and quite happy with that

3 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

in a year from now both will struggle keeping afloat at 1080p gaming i don't know why you guys suggest he do that massive downgrade in performance if he can get a 1070 you get a whole another level of performance and it will remain relevant a lot longer than those weak ass mid-range options.

I didn't recommend the GTX 1060 nor did I recommend the RX 480. I just pointed out that the RX 480 doesn't outperform the 1060 in every single game.

get a 1070 hybrid from evga and upgrade 16gb of ram and a kaby lake i5 when u can

international racing driver

My Build

i5-7600k

hyper x fury 16gb (2133)mhz

asus strix 1070 

CM 212x

asus z270-p

corsair 550w psu

agon 1440p 144hz tn monitor

corsair strafe mx silent KB

corsair void rbg (wired)

razer mamba te with firefly mouse pat

ps4 controller using ds4 windows

1 minute ago, CatXice said:

a kaby lake i5

Nope. It would be much better to get a 4790K than a Kabylake i5!

19 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

Ah, be carful........ don't start a fight.

In some cases, the RX is better, but in others its vice-versa.

Edited by King_of_Oz

Since I am to lazy to put something interesting here, I will put everything, but slightly abbreviated. Here is everything:

also, some questions to make you wonder about life:

What is I and who is me? Who is you? Which armrest in the movie theatre is yours?

also,

Welcome to the internet, I will be your guide. Or something.

My build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-7400 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor,

Motherboard: ASRock B250M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard, 

Memory: Corsair 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory,

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive, 

Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 480 4GB ARMOR OC Video Card, 

Case: Corsair 100R ATX Mid Tower Case , 

Power Supply: Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply, 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full, 

Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN725N USB 2.0 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter, Case Fan: Corsair Air Series White 2 pack 52.2 CFM  120mm Fan

ou do not ask why, you ask why not -me

Remeber kinds, the only differ between screwing around and scince is writing it down. -Adam Savage.

Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not even sure of the former. - Albert Einstein.

The 1070 is perfect for 1440p. Although it will be slightly bottlenecked by the 4670k, I don't think you'll notice much of a difference.

For the next upgrade, instead of looking at CPU, maybe grab another 8GB RAM first. I only say this because a lot of people here are suggesting upgrading your CPU.

2 minutes ago, King_of_Oz said:

FRIGGEN THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 minute ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

FRIGGEN THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL.

Your welcome, any time.  I am soooooooo tired of people saying things like that. It's unbelievably tiring. The 2 cards are basically the same, deal with it, skrubs.

Since I am to lazy to put something interesting here, I will put everything, but slightly abbreviated. Here is everything:

also, some questions to make you wonder about life:

What is I and who is me? Who is you? Which armrest in the movie theatre is yours?

also,

Welcome to the internet, I will be your guide. Or something.

My build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-7400 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor,

Motherboard: ASRock B250M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard, 

Memory: Corsair 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory,

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive, 

Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 480 4GB ARMOR OC Video Card, 

Case: Corsair 100R ATX Mid Tower Case , 

Power Supply: Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply, 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full, 

Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN725N USB 2.0 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter, Case Fan: Corsair Air Series White 2 pack 52.2 CFM  120mm Fan

ou do not ask why, you ask why not -me

Remeber kinds, the only differ between screwing around and scince is writing it down. -Adam Savage.

Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not even sure of the former. - Albert Einstein.

1 minute ago, King_of_Oz said:

LOL.

Your welcome, any time.  I am soooooooo tired of people saying things like that. It's unbelievably tiring. The 2 cards are basically the same, deal with it, skrubs.

Exactly! Idk why everyone keeps saying that the RX 480 destroys the 1060. Like, for real, they are within 1% of each other and depending on which games you play, one might be faster than the other! :D

11 minutes ago, King_of_Oz said:

Ah, be carful........ don't start a fight.

i agree but looking at the future one will have more support than the other one, hint: one has no sli bridge so the customer has to buy one tier above. 

4 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Exactly! Idk why everyone keeps saying that the RX 480 destroys the 1060. Like, for real, they are within 1% of each other and depending on which games you play, one might be faster than the other! :D

and overall the GTX 1060 is still faster even after amd figured the drivers...