Would you pay Linus for his videos?

ShearMe

EDIT: This service is completely optional for viewers - videos are still FREE.

So, I was listening to some Pomplamoose at work a while ago, and was pondering about Linus's videos and how I kinda want more of them. Before long I ran out of things to ponder, began whistling along to the music, started to think about Jack Conte's (one of the band's members) website Patreon. I gave myself a little chuckle at how brilliant the idea was, but then it hit me - wouldn't it be great to support tech channels using this same service? I've often complained to myself in the past about how YouTubers don't give me an effective means of "voting with my wallet" so-to-speak. Patreon gives me that option.

patreon_home.jpg

Founded in May 2013 and based in San Francisco, California, Patreon was created to enable fans to support and engage with the artists and creators they love. Empowering a new generation of creators, Patreon is bringing patronage back to the 21st century.

Patreon lets fans become patrons of their favorite artists and content creators. Unlike other fundraising services that raise for a single big event, Patreon is for content creators who create a stream of smaller works, like YouTube musicians, bloggers, comic creators, etc.

So what do you guys think? Linus's first fundraiser was successful, so I'd be surprised if this wasn't as well. There would probably have to be some reorganizing of the types of videos produced (maybe even that third channel we've yet to see...?  ;)), but I'm sure this would be a great opportunity.

Also, tag  @LinusTech for me serber jebus

We're really good at finding sponsors to help us pay for things, and as an entitled "Internet-generation" kiddie I love free to view content and I wish all content could be free to view, so that's what I want to deliver.

With that said, we haven't been ashamed of asking for funding when we need it. That First Blood badge in your name directly helped us pay to continue developing, and we've got another campaign upcoming that will help us acquire the equipment and sets we need to start running a daily show as well as redesign the home page of the forum.

We may add regular contributions through the forum at some point like a monthly membership (of course you can still access the content for free if you wish) but that's still in the early stages right now.

Honestly I wouldn't cause there's others just as good if not better that do it for free

We're really good at finding sponsors to help us pay for things, and as an entitled "Internet-generation" kiddie I love free to view content and I wish all content could be free to view, so that's what I want to deliver.

With that said, we haven't been ashamed of asking for funding when we need it. That First Blood badge in your name directly helped us pay to continue developing, and we've got another campaign upcoming that will help us acquire the equipment and sets we need to start running a daily show as well as redesign the home page of the forum.

We may add regular contributions through the forum at some point like a monthly membership (of course you can still access the content for free if you wish) but that's still in the early stages right now.

And he has spoken. Thread over! Who wan't to get dinner with me?

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

It would be nice if Linus host on some other video hosting that has exclusive social features. Paying Annual fees wouldn't have a pitch on people who follow him ever since his golden hair sitting on couch videos.

No one would not pay for his videos so yeah, that says something.

To love is to risk not being loved in return. To hope is to risk pain. To try is to risk failure, but risk must be taken because the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing.

The good thing about Patreon, is that it is completely optional for us, while still providing you funds, and free videos to everyone.

I'm open to having free or payed content I mean if its a pound/dollar to watch 30 videos a day your really not missing out on anything much also it takes a lot of time to do technology reviews not disregarding that reviews and stuff take little time at all.

I think if your paying you should still have the exact same user content and ability as a free member to not be unequal about everything in a forum. Plus I think if helping our admin/community by keeping it together is a payed for price. It worth the money spent as the money gained.

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

I would because Linus and the rest of the team are always my main source for tech content, I don't watch any others really, just personal preference I guess. 

Linus pretty much summed it up in his post.

Main PC: i7 3770k @ 4.2Ghz Corsair H100i V2 | MSI GD65-Z77A | NZXT Tempest 410 Elite | MSI 1080Ti Gaming | Corsair Vengeance 4x4GB @ 1600Mhz | 2x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | Seagate 2TB | Corsair RM650x

No one would not pay for his videos so yeah, that says something.

Says who?

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

An even better method of paying content providers directly would be micro transactions using Bitcoin.

Look into project watershed. http://bitcoinmagazine.com/5973/bitcoins-watershed-moment-an-open-source-cryptocurrency-ecosystem/

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Ask me about Bitcoin, Litecoin, Crypto-Currencies, and/or Mining them.

To say it like this: I would rather pay for his content then watching ads...

Tor
Corsair Obsidian 650D - Intel 4770K CPU - Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 - ASUS GTX 780 Direct CU 2 - Kingston Beast Hyperx Beast 16 GB RAM -  Corsair AX 1200i PSU - Samsung EVO drive 750 GB - Corsair AF series 120mm fans - Corsair H100i - Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 edition - Razer Ouroboros - Razer Manticor - Windows 7 - Beyerdynamic MMX 300

So you have zero patience is what you're saying.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

I wouldn't pay for his videos. 

Thats fine. It is optional as the OP says.

To love is to risk not being loved in return. To hope is to risk pain. To try is to risk failure, but risk must be taken because the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing.

Says who?

When I posted, no one said that they wouldn't pay, now it is about 13... Honesty?

I hate change. Even good or bad...

Hey, at least he's willing to pay in place of watching the adv.  ;)

No harm done

I'll be honest: I use ad block. Patreon would allow me to support the YouTubers I watch, and still enjoy an ad-free experience.

For ads: Yes

Normally: No

Paying instead of watching ads is the same as buying yourself a brand new Audi instead of getting your dad old Renault with a broken clutch and nasty paint job. You pay to escape the annoyances of having the Renault.

Tor
Corsair Obsidian 650D - Intel 4770K CPU - Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 - ASUS GTX 780 Direct CU 2 - Kingston Beast Hyperx Beast 16 GB RAM -  Corsair AX 1200i PSU - Samsung EVO drive 750 GB - Corsair AF series 120mm fans - Corsair H100i - Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 edition - Razer Ouroboros - Razer Manticor - Windows 7 - Beyerdynamic MMX 300

When I posted, no one said that they wouldn't pay, now it is about 13... Honesty?

Ok, but how many 'yes' voters there were at that time is what matters more.

youtube is already paying linus so why will we pay him? and the fact is that he does not make that so many content. if he would liked to give him a little bit of money he needs to ad average 5 videos a day. 

EOC folding stats - Folding stats - My web folding page stats

Summer Glau: Quote's The future is worth fighting for. Serenity

My linux setup: CPU: I7 2600K @4.5Ghz, MM: Corsair 16GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Radeon his iceq x2 7970, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 750 plus Gold modular

My gaming setup: CPU: I7 3770K @4.7Ghz, MM: Corsair 32GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Gigabyte RX580 8GB, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 860i Platinum modular