Another Operating system quietly dies - Solaris.

Rohime

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

2 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

To be fair, in android N ART does also have a JIT mode similar to a Dalvik virtual machine.

yeah but even dalvik is a complete different beast compared to JVM

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

4 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

yeah but even dalvik is a complete different beast compared to JVM

Oh absolutely. I'm not debating that, I've been saying that most of the article.

I just wanted to be clear for anyone reading things after the fact that ART isn't just AOT like the documentation you highlighted says.

9 hours ago, samiscool51 said:

java isn't the best but it's better than nothing!

A piece of moldy bread scented like sausages stuffed between my asscheeks while I streak through a soccer game whilst a hungry, rabid dog chases me would be better than Java.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

2 hours ago, Castdeath97 said:

They didn't, that was Sun Microsystems.

I was thinking the same... weren't Solaris, Java and VirtualBox obtained by Oracle when they acquired Sun? I liked Sun, shame they didn't survive.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

14 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

And the other good thing they had....was OpenOffice. Which had the best people leave and create LibreOffice.

I love open office suites, really anything that is a free open alternative. But for the sake of letting oracle die... Libre Office FTW. lmao

I'm glad people actually read the source and not just the title... 

That was sarcasm.

It CLEARLY says in the source Solaris11.next is planned for this year. Nothing is dying. It's just a continuous update model now. 

Can someone please change the title of this thread to something that is even remotely correct? 

LTT Unigine SUPERPOSITION scoreboardhttps://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jvq_--P35FbqY8Iv_jn3YZ_7iP1I_hR0_vk7DjKsZgI/edit#gid=0

Intel i7 8700k || ASUS Z370-I ITX || AMD Radeon VII || 16GB 4266mhz DDR4 || Silverstone 800W SFX-L || 512GB 950 PRO M.2 + 3.5TB of storage SSD's

SCHIIT Lyr 3 Multibit || HiFiMAN HE-1000 V2 || MrSpeakers Ether C

14 hours ago, samiscool51 said:

what about android?

it's built on... wait for it..... wait for it.....

JAVA.

Actually,  android is largely based on the linux kernel. 

It does have a few elements referencing openBSD

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

21 hours ago, Rohime said:

19 hours ago, ionbasa said:

Solaris isn't dying, sensationalist title, and misleading post. What's actually happening:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/01/24/solaris_continuous_delivery_plan/

If you looks at the roadmap provided in the OP, it clearly shows Solaris 11.next

sparc-solaris-roadmap-jan-17.png

They're moving to more incremental and frequent updates and also looking for SaaS/cloud integration. While Solaris 12 may have been canned for now, Solaris isn't dying, Oracle is just moving in a different direction.

@Rohime can you please update the OP and change the title to reflect the fact that both are 100% wrong and incorrect?

Man... this entire thread is still going off incorrect info, and nobody even bothered to reply to (or even read, from the looks of it), @ionbasa's post.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

you guys are mean and aren't following the community standards!

i would expect this from trolls on the internet but you're better than that!

• Ensure a friendly atmosphere to our visitors and forum members.
  • "Don't be a dick" - Wil Wheaton.

you all broke both of them!

****SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH IT'S REALLY TERRIBLE*****

Been married to my wife for 3 years now! Yay!

I have a feeling solaris was under the hood of a lot of retail POS systems i've used over the years.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

3 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

@Rohime can you please update the OP and change the title to reflect the fact that both are 100% wrong and incorrect?

Man... this entire thread is still going off incorrect info, and nobody even bothered to reply to (or even read, from the looks of it), @ionbasa's post.

The sad part is that a mod @leadeater said my post was informative, and did nothing to correct the OP.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

1 minute ago, ionbasa said:

The sad part is that a mod @leadeater said my post was informative, and did nothing to correct the OP.

It's possible he didn't think of it. Or there might be rules around what the mod can forcibly change (Eg: It might be frowned upon for him to just change the OP's text and/or title).

Ideally, the OP would admit to their mistake, own up to it, and fix it.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

16 minutes ago, ionbasa said:

14 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

It's possible he didn't think of it. Or there might be rules around what the mod can forcibly change (Eg: It might be frowned upon for him to just change the OP's text and/or title).

Ideally, the OP would admit to their mistake, own up to it, and fix it.

Even though I can edit thread titles and posts it's not something we do, not without asking first. When a thread doesn't comply to the posting standards we post a comment asking for it to be fixed and usually move it to GD until it is.

The rest is up for discussion in the thread and is what it's for, we do hope that news topics are updated when new information comes to light or it is found that the interpretation of the source was incorrect which is both in this case. Fake news or lies is an exception, those we will remove/hide if reported.

Mods editing titles and peoples posts would have a huge fallout, it's not something we will ever do. Moderation of posts that break the Community Standards is a different story, but that should be obvious.

P.S. A mod is only a mod when they are moderating reported content or posts we see that break the CS, all other times we are just another normal member expressing our own opinions and participating as any other member.

23 hours ago, leadeater said:

Java REALLY needs to go away. It's a lot like cars, most of us need one or will use one but cars are constantly killing us. Both can easily be fixed but there is a lot of legacy tie-ins and push back on change.

Or maybe Java is like Skynet. It's everywhere and controls tons of things, if it turned evil we would be screwed.

Or maybe (just like with cars becoming electric) it needs to get rid of the "fat" and become more modern and secure? But yeah hating on Java is a lot easier. Also I love how most people that bash Java are not even programmers and the most experience they have ever had with the damn language is from Minecraft. 

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

10 minutes ago, FakezZ said:

Or maybe (just like with cars becoming electric) it needs to get rid of the "fat" and become more modern and secure? But yeah hating on Java is a lot easier. Also I love how most people that bash Java are not even programmers and the most experience they have ever had with the damn language is from Minecraft. 

I don't actually mind programming in Java, I like C# more but then C# is just the good bits of Java and C++ stolen and repackaged with a bit of glitter on it to distract you from that fact ;).

Not that I really do any programming anymore, went down a different career path.

Also few people realize just how many things are running Java, if it's a computerized device that has a screen and takes input it's likely Java. Think how many things fall in to that definition then cry lol.

I don't hate of Java the programming language, I hate on the ecosystem as that's the issue with it. I hate installing the runtimes and keeping them up to date across thousands of computers, I hate that updating them breaks stuff, I hate that uninstalling it the official way doesn't do it properly, I hate that it uses the system path variable, I hate everything about it other than actually writing the code.

5 minutes ago, leadeater said:

I don't actually mind programming in Java, I like C# more but then C# is just the good bits of Java and C++ stolen and repackaged with a bit of glitter on it to distract you from that fact ;).

Not that I really do any programming anymore, went down a different career path.

Also few people realize just how many things are running Java, if it's a computerized device that has a screen and take input it's likely Java. Think how many things fall in to that definition then cry lol.

I don't hate of Java the programming language, I hate on the ecosystem as that's the issue with it. I hate installing the runtimes and keeping them up to date across thousands of computers, I hate that updating them breaks stuff, I hate that uninstalling it the official way doesn't do it properly, I hate that it uses the system path variable, I hate everything about it other than actually writing the code.

And that is just great! I completely agree with most of the things you said. But they can be fixed! And since writing the code is great (ohh yes continuing my personal Java project after finishing c exercises for Uni feels awesome), all that remains to be done is to make the runtime better! I agree that the way it is now it is a damn heavy and resource intensive mess, but it doesn't mean it just has to die. ;) 

Edit: A great way to make it better would be to do it kinda like the way Google dealt with it with ART. Just compile the damn thing to native before running and stop worrying about JIT... AOT has made ART and Android in general such a pleasure to use.

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

On 2/6/2017 at 1:07 PM, ionbasa said:

Solaris isn't dying, sensationalist title, and misleading post. What's actually happening:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/01/24/solaris_continuous_delivery_plan/

If you look at the roadmap provided in the OP, it clearly shows Solaris 11.next

sparc-solaris-roadmap-jan-17.png

They're moving to more incremental and frequent updates and also looking for SaaS/cloud integration. While Solaris 12 may have been canned for now, Solaris isn't dying, Oracle is just moving in a different direction.

Had a long discussion with my Sun (sorry) Oracle in-country platforms manager today.

Yes - it is correct that the "official party line" is that Oracle is moving to a continuous delivery model for the OS.

I stand by my listing of the related articles.   The title is my wording influenced and balanced by a long career and lots of experience in interpreting news such as the information as reported combined with other knowledge including the 'continuous integration' position.

I would posit (based based on both knowledge and experience) that one key reason Oracle are moving to an incremental change model is because lots of customers have looked at previous upgrades of OS and decided to exit solaris instead of upgrade on same OS (they got to do major testing anyway, yes?)/

ie: the roadmap changes appear designed to extend the tail of OS life - time for the "long dark tea-time of the Solaris".

9 hours ago, FakezZ said:

And that is just great! I completely agree with most of the things you said. But they can be fixed! And since writing the code is great (ohh yes continuing my personal Java project after finishing c exercises for Uni feels awesome), all that remains to be done is to make the runtime better! I agree that the way it is now it is a damn heavy and resource intensive mess, but it doesn't mean it just has to die. ;) 

Edit: A great way to make it better would be to do it kinda like the way Google dealt with it with ART. Just compile the damn thing to native before running and stop worrying about JIT... AOT has made ART and Android in general such a pleasure to use.

Java compared to C is easy. Compared to C++ it's like pulling teeth to do anything important. Once you learn how to leverage the STL and just 1 or 2 Boost libraries, you will NEVER want to go back to Java.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

On 2/5/2017 at 7:42 PM, Rohime said:

I really thought AIX would die second (HP-UX was first of the 'big-three').   Seems i was wrong - AIX is the last in the class ... 

Colgate Palmolive still uses AIX heavily so I don't foresee it dying when companies that big are still on board.

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900X – Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro Wifi  – RAM: 4 x 16 GB G. Skill Trident Z @ 3200mhz- GPU: ASUS  Strix Geforce GTX 1080ti– Case: Phankteks Enthoo Pro M – Storage: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo, 1TB Intel 800p, Samsung 850 Evo 500GB & WD Blue 1 TB PSU: EVGA 1000P2– Display(s): ASUS PB238Q, AOC 4k, Korean 1440p 144hz Monitor - Cooling: NH-U12S, 2 gentle typhoons and 3 noiseblocker eloops – Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB Mouse: G502 Rgb & G Pro Wireless– Sound: Logitech z623 & AKG K240

8 hours ago, patrickjp93 said:

Java compared to C is easy. Compared to C++ it's like pulling teeth to do anything important. Once you learn how to leverage the STL and just 1 or 2 Boost libraries, you will NEVER want to go back to Java.

or just learn C++ and not Java from the start and you'll never want to try Java :P 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

8 hours ago, Rohime said:

Had a long discussion with my Sun (sorry) Oracle in-country platforms manager today.

Yes - it is correct that the "official party line" is that Oracle is moving to a continuous delivery model for the OS.

I stand by my listing of the related articles.   The title is my wording influenced and balanced by a long career and lots of experience in interpreting news such as the information as reported combined with other knowledge including the 'continuous integration' position.

I would posit (based based on both knowledge and experience) that one key reason Oracle are moving to an incremental change model is because lots of customers have looked at previous upgrades of OS and decided to exit solaris instead of upgrade on same OS (they got to do major testing anyway, yes?)/

ie: the roadmap changes appear designed to extend the tail of OS life - time for the "long dark tea-time of the Solaris".

So in other words, the official news is "Operating System changes development cycle", and your rumour is "Oracle kills Solaris".

Please correct the Title and OP to reflect the fact that your news post is still wrong, and you're GUESSING.

We have no problem with you guessing that Oracle still intends on killing Solaris. But you should put that in the "opinion" portion of your post, at the end. You're taking your opinion (based on speculation), and presenting it as fact. That's the problem. Do you understand why some people are not happy with your news post? Please don't take this personally, we just want objective news (or as humanly objective as possible).

36 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

So in other words, the official news is "Operating System changes development cycle", and your rumour is "Oracle kills Solaris".

Please correct the Title and OP to reflect the fact that your news post is still wrong, and you're GUESSING.

We have no problem with you guessing that Oracle still intends on killing Solaris. But you should put that in the "opinion" portion of your post, at the end. You're taking your opinion (based on speculation), and presenting it as fact. That's the problem. Do you understand why some people are not happy with your news post? Please don't take this personally, we just want objective news (or as humanly objective as possible).

Interesting that you clearly didnt read my original post.    I've linked two existing news articles, neither of which (in base substance - removal of 12 from roadmap, and release of SPARC staff) is contested by Oracle.    I have not created 'rumor'.    I have personally confirmed this with senior Oracle staff in the relevant areas or Oracle management.

I've explained my title - and wont do so again.     Experience is not 'guessing'.

You clearly have some form of emotional investment in Solaris.  Thats fine - your issue.

I'm perfectly happy to meet here again in 2021-2022 and compare notes about what came to pass - but the discussion is getting somewhat of a toxic flavour so i wont be commenting here again until then.

Thanks for your opinion.

7 minutes ago, Rohime said:

You clearly have some form of emotional investment in Solaris.  Thats fine - your issue.

Amusing. I don't, nor have I ever, used Solaris.

Now, your sources say they've killed off Solaris 12, not Solaris in general. As stated, they're extending Solaris 11.x to a faster release cycle, rather than big releases. Different strategy (Same thing Mac OS does - wait is that getting killed too??? - Same thing Windows 10 is claiming - but I suspect it's only a matter of time before Windows 11 or whatever comes out).

So while the (very short) text of your OP is technically correct:

Oracle has removed Solaris 12 from its Solaris Roadmap

The title is not. The title implies that Solaris, in general, is dead. When the Roadmap doesn't corroborate that. According to that, they have development until 2021 at least.

So could they kill it off at 2021 or 2022? Sure. Yes, that could definitely happen. But that's a lot different from what your title is saying. Oracle has no current (public) plans to kill Solaris 11.x. They may have internal plans to do so - but if that's the case, you should report that, and as an unconfirmed rumour.

Why are you getting emotionally upset about this? I'm stating facts, and using logic to dissect your news post. You seem to have an emotional investment against Solaris (See how ridiculous that kind of argument sounds, in either direction?)