Another Operating system quietly dies - Solaris.

Rohime

What is Solaris?

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

2 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

What is Solaris?

A dead operating system that should stay dead.

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

7 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

it's oracle's server OS. oracle are the 'patent troll fuckheads' of the PC industry. they buy technology and kill it. 

The issue with Oracle is that they only care about short term profit and ignore the long term.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

4 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

The issue with Oracle is that they only care about short term profit and ignore the long term.

true. hence my 'kill it' comment. good fucking riddance, let's let oracle die

idk

13 minutes ago, bob51zhang said:

A dead operating system that should stay dead.

I really thought AIX would die second (HP-UX was first of the 'big-three').   Seems i was wrong - AIX is the last in the class ... 

Thank god. The only good thing Oracle has introduced into this world is fucking VirtualBox.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

7 minutes ago, tmcclelland455 said:

Thank god. The only good thing Oracle has introduced into this world is fucking VirtualBox.

And the other good thing they had....was OpenOffice. Which had the best people leave and create LibreOffice.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

1 minute ago, Dabombinable said:

And the other good thing they had....was OpenOffice. Which had the best people leave and create LibreOffice.

imo I'd rather just get office cheap from bizspark or something instead of using openoffice

it feels so bloated and ew

then again, I wrote a 750 word essay in Notepad++ so what am I talking about

idk

Oh wow didn't think Solaris would actually die though, Oracle normally doesn't care and just does whatever they want. That and there oh so friendly licensing audits.

Solaris isn't dying, sensationalist title, and misleading post. What's actually happening:

In a new post, the company says “Oracle Solaris is moving to a continuous delivery model using more frequent updates to deliver the latest features faster, while fully preserving customer and ISV qualification investment in the vast array of ISV applications available on Oracle Solaris 11 today.”

“New features and functionality will be delivered in Oracle Solaris through dot releases instead of more disruptive major releases, consistent with trends seen throughout the industry. This addresses customer requirements for an agile and smooth transition path between versions, while providing ongoing innovation with assured investment protection. By moving to a continuous delivery model based on Oracle Solaris 11, customers will have a seamless update experience to better fit their move to agile deployment models.”

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/01/24/solaris_continuous_delivery_plan/

If you look at the roadmap provided in the OP, it clearly shows Solaris 11.next

sparc-solaris-roadmap-jan-17.png

They're moving to more incremental and frequent updates and also looking for SaaS/cloud integration. While Solaris 12 may have been canned for now, Solaris isn't dying, Oracle is just moving in a different direction.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

1 hour ago, tmcclelland455 said:

and java....

apart from that nothing else....

****SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH IT'S REALLY TERRIBLE*****

Been married to my wife for 3 years now! Yay!

1 hour ago, Dabombinable said:

I hated OpenOffice. 

10 minutes ago, samiscool51 said:

and java....

Oh yes, because Java is sooooooooooooooooo great. :dry:

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

2 minutes ago, samiscool51 said:

and java

Java REALLY needs to go away. It's a lot like cars, most of us need one or will use one but cars are constantly killing us. Both can easily be fixed but there is a lot of legacy tie-ins and push back on change.

Or maybe Java is like Skynet. It's everywhere and controls tons of things, if it turned evil we would be screwed.

11 minutes ago, samiscool51 said:

and java....

No. Java is just absolute crap.

There's no other way for me to phrase it.

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

7 minutes ago, tmcclelland455 said:

6 minutes ago, bob51zhang said:

No. Java is just absolute crap.

There's no other way for me to phrase it.

Spoiler

201510_2038_faibe_sm.jpg

Spoiler

685dfa219f3e925e9a165c3f4ca979c5e1c35a0c

Spoiler

201510_1906_hggfi_sm.jpg

Java is an endless source of jokes and memes though, it has that going for it.

I came here to pay respects and saw everyone loving this... So confused right now :/:( 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I think they're going to focus on the cloud service stuff I know they're pushing their customers to upgrade their ERPs to cloud based stuff. Unfortunately for them it doesn't seems to be any more responsive or less prone to slowdowns.

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 minute ago, tmcclelland455 said:

java isn't the best but it's better than nothing!

2 hours ago, Rohime said:

I really thought AIX would die second (HP-UX was first of the 'big-three').   Seems i was wrong - AIX is the last in the class ... 

That's because IBM actually gives a damn about keeping it up to date with Linux.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Can Google just buy Oracle, guy the management, and make everything Oracle controls tolerable at least?

I just wish Java had proper thread interfaces. The fact Thread.isAlive() returns false if it's just asleep/waiting to finish is ridiculous. The overhead and serialisation caused by Thread.join() is infuriating.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

9 minutes ago, samiscool51 said:

java isn't the best but it's better than nothing!

Hah! No...

2 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

Hah! No...

what about android?

it's built on... wait for it..... wait for it.....

JAVA.