Gaming lost its spark

nanowatt

I don't know how many of you can relate, but for the past 2 months, i no longer get any satisfaction from play games. Now i only play 2-3 games of lol per day and that it's. No matter what game i chose, old or new, i no longer have the patience or the urge to play it. To put it in a few words, is not that i don't want to play games, i just feel they are becoming very boring. 

Beware of him that is slow to anger; for when it is long coming, it is the stronger when it comes, and the longer kept. Abused patience turns to fury.

1 minute ago, -TesseracT- said:

To some people it's just a part of getting older.

Ye, i guess it's time to find another hobby. I have been thinking about going to gym and investing more time in myself. Learning new things, getting my driver license, saving for a car, you know....

Beware of him that is slow to anger; for when it is long coming, it is the stronger when it comes, and the longer kept. Abused patience turns to fury.

15 minutes ago, nanowatt said:

Ye, i guess it's time to find another hobby. I have been thinking about going to gym and investing more time in myself. Learning new things, getting my driver license, saving for a car, you know....

They aren't mutually exclusive. You can still game and do all of those. 

- snip-

Are you depressed? Suffering a mid-life crisis? Or just growing out of it? 

Trust me, it happens when you mature. Games nowadays aren't that great anyway. I still find myself playing classics like CS 1.6, WoW and metal gear on the playstation. Take a break, go outside, enjoy life. There's more to it than pixels....

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

I find myself playing less games these days. Mostly just due to time because of school. But I havent been interested in many games as of late. I kinda miss a lot of the classics to be honest. 

For me to really get in to a game I need a good story. It just seems like a lot of games now days dont have as good of story. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

I can relate. Used to sink hrs at a time, now I only sometimes play on my rig when I get home from work. Usually killing free time on my phone lol. 

To the 12 year olds lusting over gtx 1080's, this is your future. 

You don't "grow out of games" just like you don't "grow out of books and movies". The reason why adults don't play as much games is because they don't have as much free time to do it, not because they are too mature to enjoy it. 

6 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

You don't "grow out of games" just like you don't "grow out of books and movies". The reason why adults don't play as much games is because they don't have as much free time to do it, not because they are too mature to enjoy it. 

Except people lose interests in books and movies as well. It has nothing to do with maturity, and for many people, nothing to do with time (or the lack thereof). They're just bored of those things, and a decently long break can oft be the solution.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Eh I get this all the time, I have periods where I game alot, and then periods where I don't even boot a game up for sometimes months. You will probably be ready to game again in a few weeks. 

During my childhood, i used to game every day for hours. Now, I play literally just cities:skylines and I might clock in an hour a week.

I think it is a part of getting older

Having a job definitely has an impact, but I still bang out 30+ hours a week probably. Most of that is at the weekends :P

My Rig - Intel I7-5820k@ 4ghz| Rampage V Extreme| 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4|RTX 2060 SUPER| Corsair 650D| Corsair HX750| 2TB Samsung 850 EVO| H100i| 3x SF-120's| 1x 240 cooler master Red LED Front intake

Everything I say defaults to include /s

20 hours ago, MrDynamicMan said:

Try a different genre or take a couple weeks break. Don't force yourself to lay just because you used to enjoy it. 

Took a 3 month break from CSGO, played 2 games yesterday to properly break up my 3 month VACation, had fun playing it (and was destroying dem noobs) so...it does work :P 

Time to win 30 games in faceit again...

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

20 hours ago, nanowatt said:

I don't know how many of you can relate, but for the past 2 months, i no longer get any satisfaction from play games. Now i only play 2-3 games of lol per day and that it's. No matter what game i chose, old or new, i no longer have the patience or the urge to play it. To put it in a few words, is not that i don't want to play games, i just feel they are becoming very boring. 

I get this I play battlefield maybe once a month for a couple of days and enjoy it but if I play for any longer I get bored. AAA companies are just pushing out the same old games with new skins as they know people buy then making it a safe bet unfortunately that's just the way things go it is also a sign you are getting old I play a lot less now that I'm old.

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary numbers and those who don’t

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

It's true; I also feel that all of the games are boring and even though I have 100+ games on my steam library I always feel bored no matter what I choose.

Perhaps buy a Game Boy Advance SP and get some of the older games, those were a TON of fun and very engaging; I've been emulating them on my PC lately and have had a lot more fun than with any of the other games I've played on my PC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D278XLbp1rE

i7 4790K || R9 290X + R9 290 || 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1866 || Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5 || Crucial MX100 256GB || WD Caviar Blue 1TB

8 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Your first hand experience/opinion doesn't make this a fact. I'll just leave it at that.

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

8 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Except people lose interests in books and movies as well. It has nothing to do with maturity, and for many people, nothing to do with time (or the lack thereof). They're just bored of those things, and a decently long break can oft be the solution.

Yes you can get tired of things (and having a break from them will often make them enjoyable again), but like you said, it's not because you're "too mature" for games.

I think a lack of time is a major factor in why adults doesn't play as much games as teenagers though. Remove the need to work and do household things and adults would probably play as much games as teenagers would under the same circumstances. The games might be different though.

5 minutes ago, eLucid said:

Your first hand experience/opinion doesn't make this a fact. I'll just leave it at that.

Right back at you.

I doubt there have been any scientific studies made about this, but judging by my anecdotal evidence you do not grow out of games. Everyone I know who played games when they were young still like playing games. They don't have that much free time though so they don't do it as often, and a lot of them struggle to get really into a game (again, because of time constraints). But that's not because there is some magical age where once you become that old, you no longer enjoy fun things. It's because they have other things to do which takes priority.

49 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Most days I'm too tired from work and don't feel like it. Usually I do play a bit on weekends though. 

I know what you mean. This semester of school is kicking my ass. I also think, there hasn't really been a lot of games that have caught my eye. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

14 hours ago, Drak3 said:

No, that's not true at all what you said about the lack of time, I can make a perfect example:

my big brother works at McKinsey and this basically sums up his normal work day, wake up at 08am be at work 09am leave work at 11pm go to gym until 12pm go home to bed, rinse and repeat.

Now please enlighten me, where does games, books or movies fit into this schedule?

Thus, from the war of nature, from famine and death, the most exalted object which we are capable of conceiving, namely, the production of the higher animals, directly follows. There is grandeur in this view of life, with its several powers, having been originally breathed into a few forms or into one; and that, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.

I always get excited for games with a good story. When GTA V was teased, boy was I hyped. I played it for 2 days straight, and completed 100% only because I really liked the story mode. Fiddled with it for couple of days (but didn't mod it since I played it when it came out so no good mods were then available) and just left it. Played it couple of times since then, at my friends house. Soon I am building my brand new RX 480 8GB build, and boy do I look towards completing it again, and then modding it.

But i completely agree with you. I rarely get that excited for a game, gaming became dull somehow...

11 minutes ago, ZothOmmog said:

No, that's not true at all what you said about the lack of time, I can make a perfect example:

my big brother works at McKinsey and this basically sums up his normal work day, wake up at 08am be at work 09am leave work at 11pm go to gym until 12pm go home to bed, rinse and repeat.

Now please enlighten me, where does games, books or movies fit into this schedule?

A) Your brother's work hours aren't normal

B) You leave out how many days he works out of the

C) You treat it as if I said that time isn't a factor, which I said time was not a factor to many for them playing less.

Also, if your brother is going to the gym for an hour and only getting 4 hours if sleep, his priorities are SERIOUSLY fucked up.

Adults in the US typically work 7 to 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. Kids and teenagers see the same situation, except substitute the paid job for school, and that isn't taking homework into consideration. The trend that a school day is around the same length as the typical work day applies to many countries, seeing as school is basically training for the working world.

After that, adults need somewhere between 6 to 8 hours of sleep, children and teenagers should get 8 minimum.

After that, you have to account for the time one takes to eat and take care of their hygiene.

After that, you're literally dealing how you prioritize your time. Fuck, asides from eating and sleeping, everything is just a matter of how one prioritizes their time.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Have you tried venturing outside of your usual genres? Have you tried getting a sim rig or VR? Have you tried getting into the gym or perhaps getting a treadmill and using the PC at the same time? Trying to get physically tired helped me to stay fit and interested in gaming when I was working full-time and going to 16 hours of college. 

Do you have any hobbies or perhaps any enthusiast groups in your area? Maybe, it's time to take up camping, shooting, crocheting, woodworking, or cooking. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers