Star Citizen is going to support AMDs Mantle API

Anything that has a possibility to kill off DirectX in the mainstream is welcomed by me.

Wow. Sure, go ahead kill DirectX, that'll show them all. Lets let AMD control everything. Woot, thats what we want.

Pssst.... Hope you don't like any game that runs DirectX right now, kill DirectX, and you can't play them anymore. Go ahead, delete DirectX off your system, and I mean completely and see what you can and can't run. I dare you. :)

I'm not even going to debate you. [-snip-]

Post edited by Mod Glenwing

[-snip-] You think you can kill DirectX, keep thinking that. Nothing is going to change, and if you really think Mantle is going to kill DirectX, [-snip-]

[-snip-] You think you can kill DirectX, keep thinking that. Nothing is going to change, and if you really think Mantle is going to kill DirectX, [-snip-]

No, It's that you took what he said to literally.

If I said "we need stop making cars that require fossil fuels" Why would you jump to the conclusion that we need to destroy and rid of everything that uses fossil fuels?

He's saying he doesn't want DirectX anymore, in a future tense. Not every game needs to convert, and we need to delete it. He wants games to start using Mantle (for newer AMD cards) and OpenGL for everything else. That way we aren't forced to use Windows and people can actually start gaming on a Mac and on Linux.

Your not calling anyone out, your misinterpreting what he is saying because what seems to be to start an argument. Maybe asking him to clarify, say you don't understand it is better off instead of assuming you know what he means through some text.

Sager NP9370EM - I7 3630QM - 680m 1045Mhz - 8gb 1600mhz ram - 240gb msata 750gb hdd

An indie PC exclusive developer is supporting Mantle, what more proof do you want that Mantle is awesome ?

The future for Nvidia does indeed look very grim with so many developers announcing support for Mantle.

Nvidia needs to put whatever pride they have aside and support the API of the future.

FYI, PhysX is not limited to Nvidia cards. It can be processed on the CPU, albeit slower, so an AMD card won't be missing anything.

explain how you're going to run TressFX on your GPU, the actual game on your gpu (intensive enough) then the in built Cryengine physics on yoru CPU and PhysX on your CPU?! sorry but your cores are going to get eaten up so fast ._.

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

explain how you're going to run TressFX on your GPU, the actual game on your gpu (intensive enough) then the in built Cryengine physics on yoru CPU and PhysX on your CPU?! sorry but your cores are going to get eaten up so fast ._.

Well for Nvidia users we are going to have TressFX and PhysX both on the gpu so we might be taking a hit on the frame rate if your wanting both.

Although for this game I could care less (although still nice) about TressFX, PhysX is going to give you those particle effects that put a smile on your face when you blow up or attack someone else's ship.

Side note, personally am wondering if they are going to be using the PhysX SDK as a physics engine or whatever Cryengine has to offer.

Sager NP9370EM - I7 3630QM - 680m 1045Mhz - 8gb 1600mhz ram - 240gb msata 750gb hdd

Well for Nvidia users we are going to have TressFX and PhysX both on the gpu so we might be taking a hit on the frame rate if your wanting both.

Although for this game I could care less (although still nice) about TressFX, PhysX is going to give you those particle effects that put a smile on your face when you blow up or attack someone else's ship.

Side note, personally am wondering if they are going to be using the PhysX SDK as a physics engine or whatever Cryengine has to offer.

They will probably be using a combination of both PhysX as a physics engine and the default Cryengine physics as they are both good in different ways ^_^ also I think TressFX and PhysX on the gpu is going to cut fps wayyy more than TressFX on gpu and PhysX on the cpu, especially since Nvidia cards don't really perform well on OpenCL. We'll have to see benchmarks of R9 290X with TressFX on the gpu, PhysX on the cpu and recording on the cpu vs 780TI with PhysX on the GPU, TressFX on the GPU and Shadowplay ^_^

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

An indie PC exclusive developer is supporting Mantle, what more proof do you want that Mantle is awesome ?

a) Performance numbers (Mantle vs. non Mantle) 

b) Calling Star Citizen an "indie game" is quite hard, the funding gap between SC and some run of the mill indie game is massive, like Linus and Slick's height difference massive burn 

i5 4670K | ASUS Z87 Gryphon | EVGA GTX 780 Classified | Kingston HyperX black 16GB |  Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD | Seagate Barracude 3TB - RAID 1 | Silverstone Strider Plus 750W 80Plus Silver | CoolerMaster Hyper 212X | Fractal Design Define Mini 

Wow. Sure, go ahead kill DirectX, that'll show them all. Lets let AMD control everything. Woot, thats what we want.

Pssst.... Hope you don't like any game that runs DirectX right now, kill DirectX, and you can't play them anymore. Go ahead, delete DirectX off your system, and I mean completely and see what you can and can't run. I dare you. :)

ill still be able to play CS.. wait i only play CS 

not going to BS AMD should have worked on OpenGL instead

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

a) Performance numbers (Mantle vs. non Mantle) 

B) Calling Star Citizen an "indie game" is quite hard, the funding gap between SC and some run of the mill indie game is massive, like Linus and Slick's height difference massive burn 

Don't forget CDProjektRed is also an indie studio, and they are making some pretty big games.

Like you said Indie doesn't always equal small games. If Witcher 3 is what it is promised to be it will be the #1 indie game of 2014.

I am neither a fanboy of AMD nor Nvidia, but still gonna switch to AMD for them performance that dat R9 290 delivers!

VIDEO GAMES                                  Max Power Build Log

is this COD not screwing the PC side? wow, im generaly impressed

Scumbag CoD comes out. Screws the PC side harder than ever.

My Rig "Corsair air 540, MSI Z87-G45, i5 4670k, EVGA ACX 780, Gskill sniper 2x8gb 1866 memory, Corsair CX500m modular 80+ bronze, corsiar h100i, toshiba 1.5tb HDD." / Peripherals "Acer H226HQLbid Black 21.5" (Main monitor), Acer S200HLAbd Black 20" (auxiliary), Razer blackwidow ultimate 2013, razer naga 2013, razer goliathus 444x355 speed edition, Sennheiser HD8 DJs"

Not gonna use it but YAY! Nice to see that someone is picking up support.

Eidos-Montréal, Cloud Imperium Games and Oxide will also support the Mantle API (http://www.game-debate.com/news/?news=9891&game=None&title=Three%20More%20Studios%20Sign%20On%20In%20Support%20Of%20AMDs%20Mantle%20API)

12600k | MSI MEG S280 | SSUPD Meshilicious | Asus ROG STRIX Z690-I | Crucial 16GB 4800MHz CL38 | MSI Gaming 980Ti | CM V850 SFX | WD SN850 1TB, WD SN550 1TB 
Pi 4TB NAS | Asus VG27AQ, Asus PB278Q | Logitech G Pro X Superlight | Glorious G-HXL-STEALTH | Keychron K4 V2 | Sennheiser HD 599 w/ Fiio E10

I dont care aslong as the game itself is awesome! :P

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

OH GOD what do I get next, amd or nvidia.

Spoiler

CPU: i5 4690k @4.2Ghz w/ Corsair H100i GTX | Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 16GB | GPU: Palit 1080Ti | Case: Corsair Carbide Air 540 | PSU: Seasonic G750 80+ Gold | Storage: Samsung 840 250GB, Sandisk Ultra II 960gb, WD Green 4TB, Samsung EcoGreen 2TB

Spoiler

CPU: i5 4670k @4 Ghz w/ Corsair H80i | Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Impact | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 8GB | GPU: Palit 1080Ti

Case: Bitfenix Prodigy | PSU: Corsair CXM 600W PSU 80+ Bronze | Storage: Corsair Force GS 240GB SSD

Sorry, just saw the tweet of Roberts and I didn't see any topic, really sorry guys

"It's like all common sense just goes out of the window when a computer is involved."

Shots fired at nvidia!

Interested in Business and Technology

This means crisis 4 will get mantle................yayeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. I donno what's wrong but I actually like the Crysis storyline.

This means crisis 4 will get mantle................yayeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. I donno what's wrong but I actually like the Crysis storyline.

Crysis two was good because it explored the psyche of a man who was being used as a piece of meat by the suit and everyone he encountered. The other two games focused on the ceph and had lackluster story as a Result.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

No, It's that you took what he said to literally.

If I said "we need stop making cars that require fossil fuels" Why would you jump to the conclusion that we need to destroy and rid of everything that uses fossil fuels?

He's saying he doesn't want DirectX anymore, in a future tense. Not every game needs to convert, and we need to delete it. He wants games to start using Mantle (for newer AMD cards) and OpenGL for everything else. That way we aren't forced to use Windows and people can actually start gaming on a Mac and on Linux.

Your not calling anyone out, your misinterpreting what he is saying because what seems to be to start an argument. Maybe asking him to clarify, say you don't understand it is better off instead of assuming you know what he means through some text.

Definition:

Kill Off: To destroy in such large numbers as to render extinct.

Kinda hard to misinterpret that. The fact is, DirectX ain't going anywhere. It won't cease to exist. It won't just stop being used. The difference in your example is you said STOP MAKING, not KILL OFF. Big huge difference in the English Language. The problem is, people are putting Mantle on a pedestal without ANY PROOF of performance, or what it can and can't do. Lets say it gives a 2 fps boost in performance, is it worth destroying DirectX and ALL the other APIs for 2 FPS? The evolution of technology and code... well, lets say that one API will NOT fit the bill for each game nor each system. Heck, a year from now we could have DirectX destroying Mantle. But lets kill it off, so there is no competition, and the ONLY API that should be used is Mantle. Hey, doesn't matter Mantle is AMD only and really only accesses AMD GPUs, right? DirectX, NVAPI, OpenCL, lets cut them out. I wonder whats going to happen. You know competition drives innovation, right?

If Mantle gives a great FPS boost, thats going to be awesome. But not the best thing in the world. Mantle doesn't solve issues that need to be solved.

Maybe instead of you know, "Mantle is the best thing in the world, lets kill off DirectX," why don't we wait and see what Mantle brings to the table and what it does, and doesn't do and put it up against other APIs and solutions. But hey, I am stupid for some reason.