High end non gaming laptop

So here is the deal.

I work with Music production and i am looking to buy a Laptop.

The thing about working with electronic music production is that it is a rather CPU intensive task.

It benefits from multiple threads and more cores for processing but does not need a high end Video card to go along.

So i am looking for Laptop with a rather good CPU.

Storage doesn't need to be fast.

But it has to be plenty.

I tend to store and use a vast amount of samples and library's that on their own all are pretty big.

I will need at least a terabyte of hard drive storage.

I do own and plan to use with this machine a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2.

It needs at least 8 Gigabytes of RAM.

16 or more would be nice but 8 isn't a deal breaker here as i would do things like working with hour long samples at a Desktop PC with more RAM.

The screen needs to be at least Full HD (1980-1080).

This is because scaling in the software i use sucks.

I once tried to use it on a HD 720p screen and some of the synths were covering the whole screen or were even bigger,

Non re sizable, to the point where i had to drag the window to use the other third of the window.

So anything lower is not an option, but anything higher would not be a problem as scaling in that direction is getting highly optimised.

Just cant scale below 1:1.

Otherwise i don't really care how it looks. May be garbage as long as i can see what i am doing.

Oh, yeah.

Touchscreen: Nice addition, can definitely live without though.

Video card.

Ok, i will not be gaming on this Laptop.

There will be some graphical stuff.

But when i say that i need potato graphics, i mean potato graphics.

Some on board graphics would probably be just fine.

Battery life. Yeah, decent i suppose. Id pay a few bucks more for a few hours, but id more or less make it dependent of the rest. At least 2-3 hours, if needed i will see to get an outlet when i work, but more would be better.

Budget, well this is more for brainstorming before i allocate budget.

But as most things in life, the best value.

TL:DR

Non gaming laptop, higher end CPU, Shit graphics card, at least 8gigs of RAM, Full HD Screen

If anybody knows something, or can point me into a direction id be very thankful.

Thanks in advance!

Acer Aspire V Nitro VN7-592G-734Z

Intel® Core i7-6700HQ, 16GB RAM, 1TB + 128GB SSD, Geforce GTX 960M 4GB, HDMI, Full HD LED 15.6"

Spoiler

AspireVNitro1.jpg

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

E5470 without a fucking doubt. You can buy it on Dell Outlet or Ebay. You get a 6820HQ (unlocked turbo bins for OC if you need faster clockspeeds), no dGPU. Downside is there is only 1 slot for storage. ): Either M2 or 1TB HDD. You could get a SSHD to speed boot up, but a full TB of SSD is still expensive. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Dell-Latitude-E5470-Ultrabook-i7-6820HQ-2-7GHz-8Gb-500Gb-1920x1080-14-FHD-/112264808408?hash=item1a238107d8:g:AXIAAOSwrnNXQMV7

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p

It all depends which OS you are using or used to. There are things on a Mac that are Better than on a Windows but IF we recommend a Mac you might need to purchase those programs and even then you might not be used to them or like them.

If we suggest a Windows you will really hate windows. I mean you will say "fuck linus and those assfucks in the forum" 

Macs tend to utilize all the CPU cores and they have the best sounding speakers so..... its like i said what you are used to. If you have your headphones on and you prefer windows these might be negligible.

I would suggest Mac but...... it has to do with what you currently use and prefer using. Boils down to Windows or Mac.

After you decide that you can move forward.

Will be using some studio headphones through the aforementioned audio interface.

Mac or Windows.

I'm used to windows and would probably prefer to stay out of the Apple ecosphere. 

The programm I am using (DAW) is FL Studio.

It does have a Mac version nowadays but it's still in alpha.

Would rather save money on the brand and invest that in more horsepower if you catch my drift.

Don't really care about the design brand or how thin it is.

On 1/23/2017 at 1:46 AM, Robiaster said:

So here is the deal.

I work with Music production and i am looking to buy a Laptop.

The thing about working with electronic music production is that it is a rather CPU intensive task.

It benefits from multiple threads and more cores for processing but does not need a high end Video card to go along.

So i am looking for Laptop with a rather good CPU.

Storage doesn't need to be fast.

But it has to be plenty.

I tend to store and use a vast amount of samples and library's that on their own all are pretty big.

I will need at least a terabyte of hard drive storage.

I do own and plan to use with this machine a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2.

It needs at least 8 Gigabytes of RAM.

16 or more would be nice but 8 isn't a deal breaker here as i would do things like working with hour long samples at a Desktop PC with more RAM.

The screen needs to be at least Full HD (1980-1080).

This is because scaling in the software i use sucks.

I once tried to use it on a HD 720p screen and some of the synths were covering the whole screen or were even bigger,

Non re sizable, to the point where i had to drag the window to use the other third of the window.

So anything lower is not an option, but anything higher would not be a problem as scaling in that direction is getting highly optimised.

Just cant scale below 1:1.

Otherwise i don't really care how it looks. May be garbage as long as i can see what i am doing.

Oh, yeah.

Touchscreen: Nice addition, can definitely live without though.

Video card.

Ok, i will not be gaming on this Laptop.

There will be some graphical stuff.

But when i say that i need potato graphics, i mean potato graphics.

Some on board graphics would probably be just fine.

Battery life. Yeah, decent i suppose. Id pay a few bucks more for a few hours, but id more or less make it dependent of the rest. At least 2-3 hours, if needed i will see to get an outlet when i work, but more would be better.

Budget, well this is more for brainstorming before i allocate budget.

But as most things in life, the best value.

TL:DR

Non gaming laptop, higher end CPU, Shit graphics card, at least 8gigs of RAM, Full HD Screen

If anybody knows something, or can point me into a direction id be very thankful.

Thanks in advance!

Pick up a refurbished precision 5510 on ebay, get the 6820HQ or xeon.