Microsoft Surface Studio

Guarantee the reason you can't buy the display separately is because some people would make it work on OS X.  

1 hour ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

When jerry was testing it, there was very noticable lag when drawing in more advanced software

Jerry isn't the most reliable reviewer, but if it's using the same tech they have in the Surface tablets then yeah using the pen to draw will have noticeable lag.

I, however, love that Microsoft is building things for creators. As a music creator, I hope they fix the audio issues on Windows that make music creation more of a chore than it needs to be.

The intro skit was a near perfect summary for what the MSS is - a device that sheds everything about being a Windows Desktop to be a Windows iMac. That being said... who exactly did Microsoft make this machine for?

• It's not going to attract Windows users because of the high price, lack of customization, upgradeability, and inferiority to Wacom.
  • It's not going to attract Apple users despite its design because it's not running iOS and five goats weren't sacrificed to the soul of Steve Jobs.

It looks cool... I just don't see anyone from either camp in the media creation industry buying one.

1 hour ago, YOTTAZOID said:

Microsoft Remote Desktop supports Pen and Touch inputs so you could easily use it as a thin client when it gets outdated (or now).

The world's most overpriced thin client.

3 hours ago, Kloaked said:

Jerry isn't the most reliable reviewer

Hell, many youtube reviewers don't seem to be reliable when it comes to professional art tech, unless they're primarily artists. LTT seems to be the pinnacle of it.

2 hours ago, AdmiralKyrd said:

who exactly did Microsoft make this machine for?

Artists and indie animators, they don't need monster systems running 6950X's and XEON CPUs, so the specs are fine. It's also far from inferior to Wacom's Cintiq offerings.

Wacom's most comparable product has an asking price of $2550 USD for a QHD 16:9 pen display, and it doesn't include the actual system, doesn't offer better tracking (it gets worse as you approach the edge), and it requires a protective film that skews colors a bit.

As the owner of a Surface Pro 4, and the former owner of a few Wacom products, I'd take any NTrig Surface over any current Cintiq.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

25 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Hell, many youtube reviewers don't seem to be reliable when it comes to professional art tech, unless they're primarily artists. LTT seems to be the pinnacle of it.

Least they brought in some dude who is a supposed artist, I guess. No idea who he actually is though.

1 minute ago, Kloaked said:

Least they brought in some dude who is a supposed artist, I guess. No idea who he actually is though.

In all honesty, I don't really trust LinusTechTips for reviews at all anymore. I don't actually trust them with much of anything at this point. To me, they're entertainment, and they run a decent forum that's independent of a large tech company.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

1 hour ago, Drak3 said:

Artists and indie animators, they don't need monster systems running 6950X's and XEON CPUs, so the specs are fine. It's also far from inferior to Wacom's Cintiq offerings.

Wacom's most comparable product has an asking price of $2550 USD for a QHD 16:9 pen display, and it doesn't include the actual system, doesn't offer better tracking (it gets worse as you approach the edge), and it requires a protective film that skews colors a bit.

As the owner of a Surface Pro 4, and the former owner of a few Wacom products, I'd take any NTrig Surface over any current Cintiq.

The price might be out of range for indie animators and hobbyists, but for those with access to a render server, the local specs are not a problem, and are quite good for sculpting high poly meshes and the like. The lack of any display inputs is a major omission though. If I was to use a single machine for both 3D work, and the render, this would be pretty far down on the list. 

Good review (compared to the i3 review), though quite short, and mildly biased (albeit forgivable) as they lack artists. Perhaps LTT needs to hire a 3D artist or two though, so as to get as many perspectives as possible. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

6 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Good review (compared to the i3 review), though quite short, and mildly biased (albeit forgivable) as they lack artists. Perhaps LTT needs to hire a 3D artist or two though, so as to get as many perspectives as possible. 

They could create even more ridiculous thumbnails :P 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 hour ago, Zodiark1593 said:

The price might be out of range for indie animators and hobbyists, but for those with access to a render server, the local specs are not a problem, and are quite good for sculpting high poly meshes and the like. The lack of any display inputs is a major omission though. If I was to use a single machine for both 3D work, and the render, this would be pretty far down on the list. 

With many of the ones I've talked to running $1000 Cintiq 13HD's and $2500 ($2700 when they got it) with $1500 systems, the $3000 unit isn't exactly a stretch and will still fit their needs.

Also, the display inputs issue can be alleviated with remote desktop. I wouldn't consider it a huge issue though.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

10 hours ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

I seriously expected the thumbnail to be dennis drawing a dickbutt

Dave 2D reviewed Acer transformer pro. 

Draws a dickbutt on it. Not even kidding

1 hour ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

They could create even more ridiculous thumbnails :P 

LTT Job Title: Thumbnail Creator

32 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

With many of the ones I've talked to running $1000 Cintiq 13HD's and $2500 ($2700 when they got it) with $1500 systems, the $3000 unit isn't exactly a stretch and will still fit their needs.

Also, the display inputs issue can be alleviated with remote desktop. I wouldn't consider it a huge issue though.

Remote desktop seems to be a bit of a hack method of reusing a display, though considering the price, you're more than welcome to.  As mentioned, those that actually need the horsepower probably have render servers anyway. 

I've never used a Wacom device myself (the closest being sculpting on an Atom tablet in Blender), so I'm in no position to comment on the drawing credentials of such devices. However, if the capabilities of this device is comparable, with a far superior display to boot, competition is always welcome. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

7 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

LTT Job Title: Thumbnail Creator

Remote desktop seems to be a bit of a hack method of reusing a display, though considering the price, you're more than welcome to.  As mentioned, those that actually need the horsepower probably have render servers anyway. 

I've never used a Wacom device myself (the closest being sculpting on an Atom tablet in Blender), so I'm in no position to comment on the drawing credentials of such devices. However, if the capabilities of this device is comparable, with a far superior display to boot, competition is always welcome. 

More than welcome, one artist I know Compairs Wacom to Apple and he isn't wrong

I agree that remote desktop is lessthan ideal, but the system is powerful enough to last a good few years, and Ethernet is up that.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

I quite like that intro and it's closer to reality then I like to admit.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

i feel like mike rowe soft is slowly turning into an apple

linus sex tips

On 16/01/2017 at 9:11 AM, AdmiralKyrd said:

The intro skit was a near perfect summary for what the MSS is - a device that sheds everything about being a Windows Desktop to be a Windows iMac. That being said... who exactly did Microsoft make this machine for?

• It's not going to attract Windows users because of the high price, lack of customization, upgradeability, and inferiority to Wacom.
  • It's not going to attract Apple users despite its design because it's not running iOS and five goats weren't sacrificed to the soul of Steve Jobs.

It looks cool... I just don't see anyone from either camp in the media creation industry buying one.

It's for tech review outlets to go gaga over and help sell the narrative that Microsoft is more innovative than Apple. Despite the numerous gaping flaws it sports and the incredibly niche market that it targets. 

Id like to see more info on the dial.  how it works with other windows 10 computer,  how about with other touch screen computers like laptops or wacom?  

a 3rd party might be able to use the dev kit to make a short cut app that could do other things for apps that dont support it. 

I would be happy to just be able to buy the screen separately. :) 

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

12 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

I would be happy to just be able to buy the screen separately. :) 

Buy the i5 model, then remote desktop to your main system. It's effectively a 4K Wacom Cintiq for the price Wacom would likely charge.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

10 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Buy the i5 model, then remote desktop to your main system. It's effectively a 4K Wacom Cintiq for the price Wacom would likely charge.

remote desktop is hardly ideal though...

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

15 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Nay, remote is not a good set up I want to mess with for a daily driver situation.

5 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

exactly

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

25 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Given what setting up a Cintiq is like, Remote Desktop isn't exactly harder or less ideal, especially since the Studio can still be used as its own system should something happen to the main system.

I'd rather deal with the slight annoyance of setting up a Remote Desktop environment than the giant headache of Wacom drivers throwing a fit.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

Given what setting up a Cintiq is like, Remote Desktop isn't exactly harder or less ideal, especially since the Studio can still be used as its own system should something happen to the main system.

I'd rather deal with the slight annoyance of setting up a Remote Desktop environment than the giant headache of Wacom drivers throwing a fit.

But remote desktop will introduce quite significant latency, a limited framerate, and often visual artifacts of compression, which, obviously, is less than ideal for any sort of art application.