AMD Ryzen 4 Core rumoured to have Hyper Threading disabled.

DELTAprime

Here you go form Guru3D. 

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/amd-starts-sampling-4-core-ryzen-processors.html

Why can't we have HT on all of them? What bothers me are only 8 lanes on... chipset? Also CF/SLI only on X370. I'm sure some people with B350 would CF/SLI. 

index.php?ct=news&action=file&id=18297

index.php?ct=news&action=file&id=18298

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

2 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

index.php?ct=news&action=file&id=18298

Oh I never realised they were going with PCIe Gen 2, that won't be good for Samsung 960 Pros and Evos if it's correct.

OBSIDIAN: CPU AMD Ryzen 9 3900X | MB ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi | RAM Corsair Dominator RGB 32gb 3600 | GPU ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2080 Ti OC |

Cooler Corsair Hydro X | Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1tb | Samsung 860 QVO 2tb x2 | Seagate Barracuda 4tb x2 | Case Cosair Obsidian 500D RGB SE |

PSU Corsair HX750 | Cablemod Cables | Monitor Asus PG35VQAsus PG279Q | HID Corsair K70 Rapidfire RGB low profile | Corsair Dark Core Pro RGB SE | Xbox One Elite Controller Series 2

4 hours ago, Simon771 said:

Depends how you look at it.

4 Ryzen cores for 50$ doesn't seem like a bad deal to me.

sooo ... why would they do that ? a flipping pentium is more expensive than that , unless is a ryzen athlon 5350 you wont get it for 50$

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

15 minutes ago, DELTAprime said:

Oh I never realised they were going with PCIe Gen 2, that won't be good for Samsung 960 Pros and Evos if it's correct.

Yeah, it's bugging the hell out of me.

23 minutes ago, DELTAprime said:

8 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

Yeah, it's bugging the hell out of me.

The only nitpick with X370 is that it has only eight PCIe lanes of its own. Coupled with the 24 PCIe lanes of Ryzen—16 for graphics, four for NVMe, and four to communicate with the chipset—users have 32 lanes to work with.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/01/amd-ryzen-motherboards-hype/

• 24 PCIe Gen 3 lanes (from the CPU).
    16 PCIe Gen 3 lanes dedicated for graphics with support for up to 3-way CrossFireX & 2-way SLI.
    4 PCIe Gen 3 lanes dedicated for storage (NVMe, SATA & PCIe storage)
    4 PCIe Gen 3 dedicated for LAN & USB3.1 Gen 2 ports.
  • 8 PCIe Gen 2 lanes (from the chipset)

http://wccftech.com/amd-confirms-ryzen-cpus-unlocked-overclocking/

Still odd the chipset doesn't use Gen 3 but it doesn't need to. I suspect they went with Gen 2 so they could have more lanes for versatility, using Gen 3 would only allow for 4 lanes not 8 (bandwidth wise)

Could also be a low power variant, I suppose

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

6 minutes ago, leadeater said:

snip

For an enthusiast platform that has the lanes/chipset level of ~Haswell, that is personally a disappointment, and I'm sure that you can agree.

1 minute ago, Bouzoo said:

For an enthusiast platform that has the lanes/chipset level of ~Haswell, that is personally a disappointment, and I'm sure that you can agree.

Largely not an enthusiast platform, which shouldn't be surprising if one has been paying attention to AMD in recent months.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Just now, Bouzoo said:

Yep, since I currently use X79 with crossfire and a 10Gb NIC the arrangement for PCIe lanes could be an issue for me. Will have to wait and see. Depending on the server range of CPUs I might actually consider that instead for an Intel vs AMD upgrade.

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

Largely not an enthusiast platform, which shouldn't be surprising if one has been paying attention to AMD in recent months.

Since we're talking about 8C/16T CPUs that should be OCable on air to 5GB, and are competing with Z170/270 and arguably x99, yeah, I'd call it enthusiast. 

I think that this will end up being around $90-$140 to compete in the i3 territory and that there will be a 4c variant with smt to compete in the i5 territory $180-$250, not sure if this was already said, don't have the time to read through the thread

also minor note amd doesn't use ht they use smt, yes they are practically the same, but intel owns the trademark to ht so amd cant use it

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

Since we're talking about 8C/16T CPUs that should be OCable on air to 5GB, and are competing with Z170/270 and arguably x99, yeah, I'd call it enthusiast. 

The 5GHz rumor should die. Hype like that killed bulldozer. It's an unsubstantiated claim that will be extremely likely be proven wrong upon release.

8c/16t also has marketability outside of enthusiast systems.

At best, AMD is just bring more cores to mainstream and business chipsets, where additional features of X99 just equal wasted cost.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

8 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

Yea that's the odd one out of the bunch. You can argue that the 6 core really is just a mainstream variant designed to move the desktop platform forward but the 8 core is a little stuck with that many lanes. Would have need nice if the 8 core had 4 more Gen 3 CPU lanes, this CPU is way more likely to be put in systems that don't just use GPUs and possibly an NVMe,

I think the 4 core 4 thread Ryzen is the competition for I3. In that case it would still rek I3.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

11 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

The 5GHz rumor should die. Hype like that killed bulldozer. It's an unsubstantiated claim that will be extremely likely be proven wrong upon release.

8c/16t also has marketability outside of enthusiast systems.

At best, AMD is just bring more cores to mainstream and business chipsets, where additional features of X99 just equal wasted cost.

I'm skeptical about that, but either way, with that one being true or not, with all put together, it is an enthusiast line. Not all of Ryzen of course, but the high end is. It has almost all bells and whistles of the i7 line. I'm not sure why we are arguing over this...?

11 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Yea that's the odd one out of the bunch, You can argue that the 6 core really is just a mainstream variant designed to move the desktop platform forward but the 8 core is a little stuck with that many lanes. Would have need nice if the 8 core had 4 more Gen 3 CPU lanes, this CPU is way more likely to be put in systems that don't just use GPUs and possibly an NVMe,

Yes, I do agree on that, until recently I had no idea how many lanes the thing would have, and it could be a bit of a problem for some enthusiasts that would go with 7700K for instance. Or you for that matter which I've no idea what you current upgrade path is. :P

EDIT: Oh yeah, I find the lack of quad channel weird as well. 

7 minutes ago, Notional said:

I think the 4 core 4 thread Ryzen is the competition for I3. In that case it would still rek I3.

I honestly hope it is so we can finally put i5s (so to say) as a minimum and finally move forward.

But as I get it, they will have: 4C, 4C/8T, 6C/12T and 8C/16t, which doesn't sound that bad. 

12 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

And the OC capability of a CPU shouldn't be used in any way to discern the performance of it and the success of the platform. Neither should clock rate for that matter but to a much lesser degree, only due to how technologically stuck we are with CPU design though.

Clock rate is just an arbitrary number meaningless in any way without supplementary information. Over clocking is not a fundamental part of computing and is just a technical challenge that enthusiast like to try out. If Ryzen was locked on all SKUs but was 15%-20% faster than all of Intel's offerings and cheaper it will sell extremely well, if people purchased logically.

I honestly hope it is so we can finally put i5s (so to say) as a minimum and finally move forward.

But as I get it, they will have: 4C, 4C/8T, 6C/12T and 8C/16t, which doesn't sound that bad. 

That sounds great to me. That's a huge step up from Intel; even if the IPC is 5-10% lower, AMD should be way ahead.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

3 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

No, no and no, that 5GHz OC is one ONE CORE for a very short time and in no way stable for 24/7 operations. Ryzen will not do 5GHz on all 8 effing cores on an air cooler. It just won't. Stop believing that it will.

If you CF/SLI a pair of GPUs on an X370 board you run them in 8x each and still have 8 PCIe 3.0 lanes for NVMe drives and a whackton of USB ports and that's coming from the CPU alone. I don't see how that's not enthusiast.

Ye ole' train

I'd be very surprised if they didn't make skews with both enabled and disabled ht at different price points.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

3 minutes ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

No, no and no, that 5GHz OC is one ONE CORE for a very short time and in no way stable for 24/7 operations. Ryzen will not do 5GHz on all 8 effing cores on an air cooler. It just won't. Stop believing that it will.

Note that I used should be, not will be, since I don't believe it myself. I'm always open for everything and expect nothing. I do believe some people will OC it close to 5, on all cores, but on custom loops. 

17 minutes ago, leadeater said:

And the OC capability of a CPU shouldn't be used in any way to discern the performance of it and the success of the platform. Neither should clock rate for that matter but to a much lesser degree, only due to how technologically stuck we are with CPU design though.

Clock rate is just an arbitrary number meaningless in any way without supplementary information. Over clocking is not a fundamental part of computing and is just a technical challenge that enthusiast like to try out. If Ryzen was locked on all SKUs but was 15%-20% faster than all of Intel's offerings and cheaper it will sell extremely well, if people purchased logically.

We're assuming most consumers think clock speed + IPC+ instruction sets = performance. Most assume that only clock speed does, and still generating hype with people who should know better.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

5 hours ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

Eh.. wouldn't make sense with how they're doing it now.

It'll "maybe" work out like this.

4C/4T is to compete with the new Pentiums. Maybe AMD didn't expect that the kaby Pentiums would have HT and kind of just had to come up with something to compete in the $75 range.

4C/8T will compete with i3's

6C/12T will compete with i5's

8C/16T will compete with i7's

If I had to guess:

4c/4t to compete with i3's

4c/8t to compete with i5's

6c/12t to compete with "normal" i7's like the 6700k

8c/16t to compete with super-expensive cpu's like the 6900k

Also APU's will likely be spread around through the i3 and i5 range.

I don't believe for a second that the i3 market segment needs a 4c/8t processor.

SFF-ish:  Ryzen 5 1600X, Asrock AB350M Pro4, 16GB Corsair LPX 3200, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro -75mV, 512gb Plextor Nvme m.2, 512gb Sandisk SATA m.2, Cryorig H7, stuffed into an Inwin 301 with rgb front panel mod.  LG27UD58.

Aging Workhorse:  Phenom II X6 1090T Black (4GHz #Yolo), 16GB Corsair XMS 1333, RX 470 Red Devil 4gb (Sold for $330 to Cryptominers), HD6850 1gb, Hilariously overkill Asus Crosshair V, 240gb Sandisk SSD Plus, 4TB's worth of mechanical drives, and a bunch of water/glycol.  Coming soon:  Bykski CPU block, whatever cheap Polaris 10 GPU I can get once miners start unloading them.

MintyFreshMedia:  Thinkserver TS130 with i3-3220, 4gb ecc ram, 120GB Toshiba/OCZ SSD booting Linux Mint XFCE, 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar.  In Progress:  3D printed drive mounts, 4 2TB ultrastars in RAID 5.

7 hours ago, Drak3 said:

We're assuming most consumers think clock speed + IPC+ instruction sets = performance. Most assume that only clock speed does, and still generating hype with people who should know better.

Well actually I think most people don't know a damn thing because of how quickly these OC rumors spread and actually think the Ghz hit has any meaning at all for an unknown architecture :P.

5 hours ago, Simon771 said:

Depends how you look at it.

4 Ryzen cores for 50$ doesn't seem like a bad deal to me.

Dream on, half the performance and OC pottential of Ryzen at 50$ hehe nope.

At best case 4core will be prices 150$ just above i3 and undercutting i5's, but with OC pottential. 6 core will be undercutting i7 4c/8t models  at ~300$.

Sadly even if these prices are good enough they will arive in the rest of the world outside of US at much higher prices add 100$ on top making Ryzen way too expensive, only in time they will drop, amd usually drops prices with time unlike shit intel. Im expecting to buy an ryzen 6core/12 thread OC unlocked in 2018 around <250$ but thats just a dream.

Remember, we all thought there was only going to be one 8-core SKU but then there were rumours of a second one. Probably the same thing with the 4-core, they're fleshing out the range to have more entry points for different niches. Hopefully without sprawling a jungle of trash SKUs Intel-style.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.