Need help picking distro (and others)

So, my parents decided to get a PC for their home. Desktop or laptop, I want to get an SSD for the system instead of HDD. Now...

1. Is 120 GB a plenty space for OS, OpenOffice/LibreOffice, a media player, browser, and some documents? Judging by my usage though on Windows 10, it should.
  2. Also, which OS do you guys recommend? I'm thinking Ubuntu or Linux Mint, but I'm open to suggestion. Keep in mind that they never used a computer before.

Oh hell no don't put Linux on a system for parents.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

120GB SSD is ok, likely to use around 16GB

Go with ubuntu 16.04

Get a desktop it will last longer than a laptop

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

1 minute ago, AnonymousGuy said:

it doesn't matter, op said that that their parents never used a PC before. linux is just as good as any for that.

@op yea linux mint would have my vote.

15 minutes ago, tlink said:

it doesn't matter, op said that that their parents never used a PC before. linux is just as good as any for that.

Linux is a pain in the ass to work with, even if you know what you're doing (they don't believe in installation exe's for example).  And if they need to google how to do something they're much better googling a windows or mac problem than a linux one.

Linux is safer overall, sure, but I'd put my parents on Windows and lock them down from being able to install stuff without me there.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

21 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

It's not like I'm not going to train them :P

15 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

120GB SSD is ok, likely to use around 16GB

Go with ubuntu 16.04

Get a desktop it will last longer than a laptop

Yeah, I still prefer to give them desktop. But it'll be their call, not mine.

15 minutes ago, tlink said:

So, I think I'm solid on both Ubuntu and Linux Mint. I'll probably still need to do research more based on their exact use later. Or take a coin. Works for me.
Thanks, guys!

2 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Linux is a pain in the ass to work with, even if you know what you're doing (they don't believe in installation exe's for example).  And if they need to google how to do something they're much better googling a windows or mac problem than a linux one.

Linux is safer overall, sure, but I'd put my parents on Windows and lock them down from being able to install stuff without me there.

you complain about it not supporting installation exe's and then tell us how your parents their windows machine has installations disabled without your oversight. the end result is the same, op has to come help his parents install software they need. i highly doubt his parents will be doing anything too special anyways. its going to basically be a facebook machine.

Linux Mint Cinnamon or Manjaro Linux Cinnamon

If you want a fast, simple, mac like experience, then get ElementaryOS.

https://elementary.io/Linux-luna-elementary-os-4.png

Linux Mint Cinnamon

cinnamon.png

Manjaro Linux Cinnamon

Cinnamon-16.06rc.png

In terms of ease of use, I would say Elementary > Linux Mint/Manjaro Cinnamon. I recommend the Cinnamon version for both since I think it will have a more familiar feel to windows. The difference is; Mint is based on Ubuntu and Manjaro is based on Arch.

If they are first time computer users, set them up with debian with gnome (and tweaks like dash to dock and minimize and maximize buttons etc.) or just go with elementary os.

1 hour ago, lass9391 said:

If they are first time computer users, set them up with debian with gnome (and tweaks like dash to dock and minimize and maximize buttons etc.) or just go with elementary os.

I was in a similar situation and I went with elementary OS and my parents figured out how to use it rather quick. They were new to computers BTW; I decided to go Linux since I was using old hardware and they just needed something for the web and email. I'm personally not a fan of the Mac UI but it is simple to use for people new to computers. 

1 hour ago, lass9391 said:

33 minutes ago, Shura said:

I was in a similar situation and I went with elementary OS and my parents figured out how to use it rather quick. They were new to computers BTW; I decided to go Linux since I was using old hardware and they just needed something for the web and email. I'm personally not a fan of the Mac UI but it is simple to use for people new to computers. 

Yeah, will gonna try Elementary OS and Debian tomorrow. And I also have an eye for Zorin OS.

If they were coming from Windows, I would have said Mint.  But if they never used a PC then I'd suggest Ubuntu.   

Am I right in thinking that they are elderly people? I'm finding it hard to imagine that someone in their 30's, 40's or even 50's has never used a PC before.