Microsoft "clarifies" what Xbox One and Kinect do with your stored data

Youbetternot

Microsoft say that the data that the kinect stored, you can wipe the data stored. I don't this will change anything because people will still probably still be scared about privacy issues.

xbox-one-data-use-revealed.jpg

Ever since Microsoft revealed a Kinect 2.0 is included with each Xbox One sold, rumors have flown over what the company can and/or will do with the information its sensors pick up. The software giant's overarching privacy statement makes its case that you shouldn't have anything to worry about. That's because the info Kinect's unblinking eye gleans either never leaves your console, or in the case of "expression data" it's destroyed once you turn the system off. Furthermore, you can manually dive into the system settings and nuke all the locally cached data whenever you want.

Voice command samples can go back to Redmond for "system improvement" with a choice to opt-out, just like the current Kinect. However, the company claims that in-game voice chat can be monitored "to the extent permitted by law," but it can't monitor all users and won't make an attempt to.

Source: http://www.engadget.com/2013/11/02/xbox-one-kinect-data-use/

# -_-     [Planned RIg AKA Project ARES    -_-#

| AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core | Be Quiet DARK ROCK 2 57.9 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z  |G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM |Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" SSD | Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB  |Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower|Gelid Solutions Silent 14 PWM 74.5 CFM 140mm x3 |Corsair RM Series 750 Watt ATX/EPS 80PLUS Gold-Certified Power Supply|

|Rosewill RNX-N250PCe | Windows 8  | Acer H236HLbid 23.0" |Corsair Vengeance K70 
Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser | STEELSERIES QCK Black|Sennheiser HD 558Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer         

Sure....like anyone is going to believe what they say.

They are just trying to make it sound better, you can clearly see what they intended the console to be.

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

The whole thing is just soooo creepy and sly!

sysloc

Sure....like anyone is going to believe what they say.

They are just trying to make it sound better, you can clearly see what they intended the console to be.

An AIO?

"You Can't Buy Happiness, But You Can Buy Horsepower, And That's Kind of The Same Thing."

I honestly don't care what they do with my data unless they start being like Facebook. I'll just not plug the kinect in when I don't want to play a game with it.

"You Can't Buy Happiness, But You Can Buy Horsepower, And That's Kind of The Same Thing."

Deleting the stored data will do nothing if it's constantly being uploaded to a server...

Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition █ CPU: Intel i7-4790K █ GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 780Ti █ RAM: 8GB AVEXIR DDR3 1600  █ Storage: 120GB Kingston HyperX SSD + 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD 

█ Monitor: 21.5" 1080p 60Hz  PSU: 700w █ Case: Fractal Define R4 █       ...LTT Dark Theme master race.

Project MiniConsole

I'll just not plug the kinect in when I don't want to play a game with it.

The new Kinect has to be plugged in at all time. Your Xbone won't start without it. Oh, and it is also on at all time, even if your Xbone is turned off.

Unless they backtracked on that as well, but last time I checked they hadn't.

The new Kinect has to be plugged in at all time. Your Xbone won't start without it. Oh, and it is also on at all time, even if your Xbone is turned off.

Unless they backtracked on that as well, but last time I checked they hadn't.

That's some old information.

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/08/12/xbox-one-wont-require-plugged-in-kinect-whitten-says/

Why do I feel that this has not addressed may of peoples concerns and seems to have danced around the fact that there is server side info being kept also .... :/ I mean at no point in that do they say, no we keep none of your data, no we are not mining your data and selling it on and they also do to say, no we are not keeping data that could be used by any government agency and no it will not be stored so it can be handed over later when ever any agency feels like having a look around

Meta data, which is for the most part what they are saving, is "anonymous" and is yet extremely revealing and not private or anonymous at all

Well I had not seen that, good to see. But what are the odds that when at home and in practical use it will be needed to use the Xbone
Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

How many people have ordered the new Nexus 5 phone? its got the always listening feature, so is Google recording everything you say no, and neither is Microsoft, but some people are so paranoid to the point they trust nothing.

Cry Havoc!

How many people have ordered the new Nexus 5 phone? its got the always listening feature, so is Google recording everything you say no, and neither is Microsoft, but some people are so paranoid to the point they trust nothing.

Google listening? Everyone(NSA) is listening.

OT: Microsoft can say anything they want, but the past 6 months or so will always make people believe they are spewing nonsense. Delete the data that is recorded? So how I am suppose to know that my data hasn't already been uploaded before made available to be deleted? Or does my data go into a "Recycle Bin" like on my desktop and it's still on my system?

The Nexus 5 isn't always listening, it's only listening when you're at your home screen with the device unlocked. The Moto X is always listening meaning you can wake it up from sleep just by voice but yes I see what you mean, I don't see the issue with always listening devices. Especially since pretty much all of them only process the data internally and don't send it anywhere unless you say a command that triggers an internet search or something similar. 

And that is stored on a server some place? Loaded into a database and sold to 3rd parties? And they have a history or sharing data with government agencies? 

Eh, nope nope and nope

P.S: I know Google sell data on but this always on feature does not do any of this. Apples and oranges mate

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly