Zen Engineering sample benchmarked by french tech magazine CanardPC

RagnarokDel
2 minutes ago, Fetzie said:

Although they will be doing at least 90 hour weeks and I know that Amazon can be very trigger happy when it comes to letting people go. So really they aren't earning much more money per hour than somebody getting 55-60k for a 40 hour week.

Nope, 50 hour work weeks for all of them.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

1 hour ago, patrickjp93 said:

I have fellow grads making $120K right out of the gate. That's Amazon, FB, and Google, but still...

AUD? 

Also, from what I've heard from people I know, if you earn less than $70K AUD a year then it's considered a low paying job in Australia so... :P 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

50 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

Nope, 50 hour work weeks for all of them.

49 minutes ago, Prysin said:

37.5 for me.  Anything over that i get paid overtime.... 

Reading stuff like this makes me want to move to a diff country ASAP... I can technically work as a network Admin since I was trained to be one when I was on internship just at the age of 22 no one here wants to hire me even though I far more capable of doing the job than some of their current employee.... Well at least my current boss bit the bullet and employed me but I only make the equivalent of $700 USD before taxes per month

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

7 minutes ago, XenosTech said:

Reading stuff like this makes me want to move to a diff country ASAP... I can technically work as a network Admin since I was trained to be one when I was on internship just at the age of 22 no one here wants to hire me even though I far more capable of doing the job than some of their current employee.... Well at least my current boss bit the bullet and employed me but I only make the equivalent of $700 USD before taxes per month

Where the fuck do you even live? 

11 minutes ago, Prysin said:

Where the fuck do you even live? 

Exactly where my location says Barbados

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

7 hours ago, MageTank said:

Intentional limitations are what I define the non-K CPU's as. I've tinkered long enough with the locked Skylake SKU's to say without a doubt that all of them had loads of potential in them. Buying random G4400's, 6600T's and 6400/6500's, all of which hit 4.5ghz with ease (some clocked as low as 2.7ghz base). I understand WHY it's done, as something has to be done with the cutdown SKU's, and I understand Intel's segmentation strategy. However, It still seems wasteful in a sense to weaken a product to sell it in another price bracket. Granted, the solution isn't to release a hundred variations of a SKU either.

Not gonna lie, I miss that 6600T. Was good fun tinkering with that chip.

-snip-

Can tell how old this image is, by the fact that my ram isn't 3600 C14-14-14-28-2 in it, lol. That was when I was dumb and naive, trying to force CR1 to work, before eventually giving in and going with CR2. Luckily my bandwidth and latency are better now at CR2 with tighter tertiary's, so I'm no longer bummed out.

Stop giving me reasons to validate the choice of down grading my bios and oc the hell outta my 6500

I won't give any opinion on Zen untill there are some benchmarks from Cinebench and after I see price in stores.

I don't mind if it performs 20% slower than i7 6900k, if price will be 50% lower xD

But right now there are no infos about ZEN price that I know of.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

8 minutes ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

We both live in a piece of s**t countries :D.

It would seem so

1 hour ago, XenosTech said:

Stop giving me reasons to validate the choice of down grading my bios and oc the hell outta my 6500

Your 6500 has the potential to go higher. I was limited by lack of an external clock gen, which stopped my chip at 4590mhz (170BCLK on internal clock gen). Your chip having a multiplier 32, even using the internal clock gen, gives you a max theoretical clock of 5440mhz (32 x 170). Though, I've noticed these locked chips take quite a bit more voltage than their unlocked counterparts. Can't quite figure out why that is, but i'd be weary of that if you do decide to do it. Also be aware of the following caveats:

Loss of iGPU, loss of traditional CPU thermal sensors (can get somewhat accurate readings from PECI), loss of AVX(2), loss of 75% cache bandwidth, loss of C-States, and being forced to use older BIOS revisions (a potential problem in and of itself if you need hardware support in the future). 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

3 hours ago, patrickjp93 said:

I have fellow grads making $120K right out of the gate. That's Amazon, FB, and Google

Unless they went to a trade school partnered with Amazon, Facebook, Google, etc., you're full of shit, as usual.

If they did go to one of those trade schools, they keep as much as someone that went to any University that offers technology courses out the gate.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

24 minutes ago, MageTank said:

Your 6500 has the potential to go higher. I was limited by lack of an external clock gen, which stopped my chip at 4590mhz (170BCLK on internal clock gen). Your chip having a multiplier 32, even using the internal clock gen, gives you a max theoretical clock of 5440mhz (32 x 170). Though, I've noticed these locked chips take quite a bit more voltage than their unlocked counterparts. Can't quite figure out why that is, but i'd be weary of that if you do decide to do it. Also be aware of the following caveats:

Loss of iGPU, loss of traditional CPU thermal sensors (can get somewhat accurate readings from PECI), loss of AVX(2), loss of 75% cache bandwidth, loss of C-States, and being forced to use older BIOS revisions (a potential problem in and of itself if you need hardware support in the future). 

Loss of iGPU could be the worst loss,  given how more and more software tries to use intel Quicksync

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

Unless they went to a trade school partnered with Amazon, Facebook, Google, etc., you're full of shit, as usual.

If they did go to one of those trade schools, they keep as much as someone that went to any University that offers technology courses out the gate.

Oh oh oh.  Tell us how you know Patrick is full of shit. 

18 hours ago, RagnarokDel said:

snip!

Further translation of the whole arcticle for you guys...feel free to add to main post:

image.png

Performances - Raw Computing

''With it's true 8 cores, Zen is quite impressive despite it's limited 3.3ghz frequency...even getting dangerously close to the i7-6900K offering similar performance to the i7-5960x clocked at the same frequency of 3.3ghz turbo. AMD speculations from a few months back seem to be accurate which is a good news.

Compared to the FX-8370 we see a performance gain of around 35% at the same frequency, again somewhat matching AMD's predictions (40%)''

image.png

Performance Video Games

''Even though the results can look a lot more disapointing on the average video games tested, we have to keep in mind that the engineering sample

tested was an 8 core chip with a low frequency (especially the turbo clock). Gaming performance still rely on core frequency and still struggle at using

more than 4 cores. In these conditions it's hard to compare with the i7-6700K which has frequencies higher than 4 GHz. Still, Zen show efficiency that we

havn't seen from AMD in a very long time.''

image.png

Power consumption

'We measured ZEn power consumption with a current clamp from the ATX 12V under full load. Although less precise than the reading

we usually do with an oscilloscope, it still give a good idea of the efficieny of the 14nm LPP process from Global Foundries.

Once we factor in the losses to the motherboard VRM, we can estimate that the CPU consumme a little less than 90W, which is very close to the 6900K

which is a good result.''

image.png

Zen architcture should allow AMD to make a serious come back on the CPU market, including the high-end segment which they gave up long ago.

This could give intel a violent blow, something they very well deserve after many years of laziness and arrogance. Even though we all hope for true competition

on the CPU market, it's still not a win for AMD just yet. Although the 8 core seem to be on track, they must quickly come out with quad-core models with much higher frequencies than those engineering samples...3.8 or 4.0/4.2 GHz we feel would be the minimum to compete with the latest Kaby Lake parts.

Finally, something big missing as well is pricing. Rumors speculates some very low prices, but we highly doubt that AMD will give away those CPUs

now that they finally have something to potentially catch up on many years of loosing money. And more importantly, AMD must not mess this up in the final straight.''

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

1 minute ago, Prysin said:

Oh oh oh.  Tell us how you know Patrick is full of shit. 

1 minute ago, ONOTech said:

No, he's actually not.

I know a lot of grads that also came out of undergrad starting out at 120K/year, give or take a few thousand dollars annually. It's uncommon, but it's not a rarity.

People also need to understand that standard of living is a thing. 120K/year in the San Francisco Bay area is not the same as 120K/year in Boulder, Colorado. San Franciso has a a higher standard of living, so you're essentially going to spend more, making that 120K/year less valuable there than in Colorado.

Because Newmont University, one of the few trade school that is partnered with Google, IBM, Amazon, Facebook, Microsoft, and a good deal of Triple A developers, is one of the few schools where those companies will pay grads 100K+/yr, and that is only under one degree, and for a small minority of students that prove themselves to be worth the cost when working on projects for said companies. The upfront price, not including financial aid or their payment plans, is roughly $107,884

The typical student can expect between 60K and 80K (they average 63K).

This holds true for every trade school that partners with those types of companies.

For trade schools and universities not partnered, the typical student can expect no more than 60K off the bat. An exceptional student can hope for 100K if they can do something that these companies consider noteworthy, such as finding, exploiting, and patching an unknown vulnerability in their products.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

14 hours ago, Energycore said:

Said no conscious consumer ever

Camaro owners...

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

3 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

True but you can probably get your own car on that salary. More over I've found that provided you live in a city, you do get used to not having a car: not paying for gas, car maintenance, car related taxes (which are Notoriously fucking bad in Mexico so this is probably just me) it adds up. 

'Member when this thread was about Ryzen?

1 hour ago, MageTank said:

lol this is not helping my curiosity to do it lol and loss of igpu isn't the end of the world (that's why I buy stuff like mboards and ram in pairs)

1 minute ago, XenosTech said:

lol this is not helping my curiosity to do it lol and loss of igpu isn't the end of the world (that's why I buy stuff like mboards and ram in pairs)

The loss only exists while it's enabled. It's not permanent.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

1 minute ago, MageTank said:

The loss only exists while it's enabled. It's not permanent.

I know but I still buy my motherboards in 2's. Always need a backup for the main rig

3 hours ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

AUD? 

Also, from what I've heard from people I know, if you earn less than $70K AUD a year then it's considered a low paying job in Australia so... :P 

That's because you're literally part of the food chain ^_^ 

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

1 hour ago, Drak3 said:

Because Newmont University, one of the few trade school that is partnered with Google, IBM, Amazon, Facebook, Microsoft, and a good deal of Triple A developers, is one of the few schools where those companies will pay grads 100K+/yr, and that is only under one degree, and for a small minority of students that prove themselves to be worth the cost when working on projects for said companies. The upfront price, not including financial aid or their payment plans, is roughly $107,884

The typical student can expect between 60K and 80K (they average 63K).

This holds true for every trade school that partners with those types of companies.

For trade schools and universities not partnered, the typical student can expect no more than 60K off the bat. An exceptional student can hope for 100K if they can do something that these companies consider noteworthy, such as finding, exploiting, and patching an unknown vulnerability in their products.

That isn't evidence. 

10 hours ago, Fetzie said:

Yeah, I have a Cities Skylines map that currently has all 12 threads of my 4.5 GHz 5820k at 70-80%. Finalising a new public transport line takes about 5-10 seconds. It was completely unplayable on my 2500k at 4.5 GHz at 150k less population (currently around 450k). The game also uses 11 GB of RAM.

I thought I can run my 2600 and 8gb ram for another 3 years, but this situation has made me rethink my priorities. I may need to do a full PC upgrade soon. But it just goes to show how stale the innovation has become. I found my 2600 from a PC that was getting thrown out, and it has worked perfectly fine (and still does outside of the games) for a good 4 years. 

Space Journal #1: So Apparently i  was dropped on the moon like i'm a mars rover, in a matter of hours i have found the transformers on the dark side of the moon. Turns out its not that dark since dem robots are filled with lights, i waved hi to the Russians on the space station, turns out all those stories about space finding humans instead of the other way around is true(soviet Russia joke). They threw me some Heineken beer and I've been sitting staring at the people of this forum and earth since. 

20 minutes ago, Tocsin_786 said:

I thought I can run my 2600 and 8gb ram for another 3 years, but this situation has made me rethink my priorities. I may need to do a full PC upgrade soon. But it just goes to show how stale the innovation has become. I found my 2600 from a PC that was getting thrown out, and it has worked perfectly fine (and still does outside of the games) for a good 4 years. 

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=814192498

That's my current save-file. It has most of the assets linked, but not all. I'm adding them as I can be bothered. The "mission critical" buildings are the standard ones.

This is the "map". I had to cut several screenshots together because I couldn't zoom out far enough to get it on one screenshot (the image is 4,020px × 3,584px so displayed as link because it's pretty big): http://i.imgur.com/4hc0R8v.jpg

I'm currently working on the expansion of the area in the south-east of the map (between the motorway and the river).

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II