Zen Engineering sample benchmarked by french tech magazine CanardPC

RagnarokDel
9 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

They are official statements, just not by AMD's PR arm.

That does not make them official. Conversions with an AMD employee != official statement from company. That is a fairly basic concept.

We have conversations with engineers and developers from Microsoft, information we get from them is neither official nor allowed to be disclosed to anyone that hasn't signed the non disclosure agreement for the project. If I were to say anything that would be a leak, my job also. The reason why it would be so serious is that I'm not meaning Microsoft NZ.

There are other companies that we have similar dealings with too, you'll never know what information I'm privy to as that is the whole point of an NDA.

2 minutes ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

Wow, you mean 6 figures income montly or yearly? Nonetheless, extremely impressive salary, if are able to aquire it o-O!

annually. Already making 80K AUD. I'm hoping after two years here I can return to the States and hit that milestone. It's easier to spend money on enthusiast tech when you have a $40,000 cushion JIC.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

2 minutes ago, leadeater said:

That does not make them official. Conversions with an AMD employee != official statement from company. That is a fairly basic concept.

We have conversations with engineers and developers from Microsoft, information we get from them is neither official nor allowed to be disclosed to anyone that hasn't signed the non disclosure agreement for the project. If I were to say anything that would be a leak, my job also. The reason why it would be so serious is that I'm not meaning Microsoft NZ.

There are other companies that we have similar dealings with too, you'll never know what information I'm privy to as that is the whole point of an NDA.

Well, when you have employees that know the company is sinking and have jobs lined up when their contracts expire, they tend to be information sieves. Maybe if AMD's management had addressed the real problems they wouldn't have people on Intel's and IBM's corporate espionage payrolls. Oops.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Wow, you mean 6 figures income montly or yearly? Nonetheless, extremely impressive salary, if are able to aquire it o-O!

Salaries that high in the IT sector are common for positions that require 5+ years in enterprise settings. It is considered not proper etiquette to flash around your salary though.

8 minutes ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

Off topic, but it isn't necessarily impressive in the sense that it is a salary one can easily hope to have with a good master's degree or a PhD after 5 years of work. Because when you start at 60-80K in your first job, the gap to close isn't necessarily large if you prove you're as good as your diplomas say you are.  (What's impressive is to have that level of qualification)

4 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Salaries that high in the IT sector are common for positions that require 5+ years in enterprise settings. It is considered not proper etiquette to flash around your salary though.

5 years? I have fellow grads making $120K right out of the gate. That's Amazon, FB, and Google, but still...

7 minutes ago, laminutederire said:

Off topic, but it isn't necessarily impressive in the sense that it is a salary one can easily hope to have with a good master's degree or a PhD after 5 years of work. Because when you start at 60-80K in your first job, the gap to close isn't necessarily large if you prove you're as good as your diplomas say you are.  (What's impressive is to have that level of qualification)

And here i am with 52k a year,  free company car,  tools and phones.  5 weeks paid vacation a year and just 2.5 years education 

6 minutes ago, Prysin said:

And here i am with 52k a year,  free company car,  tools and phones.  5 weeks paid vacation a year and just 2.5 years education 

I'd happily step down my pay for a free company car (not a truck, a car!).

1 minute ago, Prysin said:

To be fair the salary depends a lot on the country. Average in my school is 42K € in France and 85K $ in the rest of the world.

I did find that between a bachelor and master's degree there is 10 to 20K $ difference per year of studies. (Closer to 10K in France but closer to 20K in the US. It probably has something to do with the mentality. Here wages are more dependent from the education level than the raw "merit" variable which can explain that).

But that's hugely off topic, sorry.

1 minute ago, patrickjp93 said:

I get a transit connect.  But lately we have been looking at Citroën due to their excellent driving comfort,  spacious cargo room and low cost 

2 minutes ago, laminutederire said:

To be fair the salary depends a lot on the country. Average in my school is 42K € in France and 85K $ in the rest of the world.

I did find that between a bachelor and master's degree there is 10 to 20K $ difference per year of studies. (Closer to 10K in France but closer to 20K in the US. It probably has something to do with the mentality. Here wages are more dependent from the education level than the raw "merit" variable which can explain that).

But that's hugely off topic, sorry.

I don't have any degree at all.  None.  Never even went to college 

1 minute ago, patrickjp93 said:

Free company cars are not all that good to be honest: it's kind of like a lesser version of a company cellphone: it sounds really nice until you realize they just want you to be available 24/7 and will use it to bother you on your downtime.

Company car is the same they tell you that you can use it, you start depending on it and building your life around it and one day without notice "X guy needs to do Y tasks he's taking the car" and you're fucked and really fucking annoyed without recourse cause it's not your car at all and the company can decide to do whatever it wants with it.

-------

Current Rig

-------

20 minutes ago, laminutederire said:

-snip-

Well, sadly thats not for me xD. I barely can survive mathematics and my course is only a level 5 in the European certification system, so a 10K euro yearly would be "great" already.

Groomlake Authority

4 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Free company cars are not all that good to be honest: it's kind of like a lesser version of a company cellphone: it sounds really nice until you realize they just want you to be available 24/7 and will use it to bother you on your downtime.

Company car is the same they tell you that you can use it, you start depending on it and building your life around it and one day without notice "X guy needs to do Y tasks he's taking the car" and you're fucked and really fucking annoyed without recourse cause it's not your car at all and the company can decide to do whatever it wants with it.

In my company only the best of us gets a car.  Sure the phone and car means they expect me to respond to emergency calls. But i don't mind those as i get 350$ right in my pocket just to respond to the call. And naturally 200% normal pay per hour 

3 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Better than no car, period.

2 minutes ago, Prysin said:

I don't have any degree at all.  None.  Never even went to college 

Well "merit" variable high elasticity in your country :) which isn't a bad thing unless it allows some people to have 7+ figures a month salary for some people taking all the wealth or some companies.

Well, sadly thats not for me xD. I barely can survive mathematics and my course is only a level 5 in the European certification system, so a 10K euro yearly would be "great" already.

Ahah I'd argue you have something more valuable than 10K €/year which is the ability to enjoy the beauty of mathematics :) I'd trade 10K any day for that pleasure :)

But I agree that some highly educated people are underpaid, especially when compared to some business school students. 

1 minute ago, Prysin said:

In my company only the best of us gets a car.  Sure the phone and car means they expect me to respond to emergency calls. But i don't mind those as we get 300$ right in my pocket just to respond to the call. And naturally 200% normal pay per hour 

My company doesn't keeps a clock, for good and ill. So if there's little work I have tons of downtime, don't have to start or end my shift at any specific time, etc. But if someone calls on a weekend, chances are I have to take care of it without extra pay (or any additional pay at all). If I was to get paid overtime I'd agree to it sure but most companies won't do that.

Also the "best" getting a car can be subjective and it would change in a hurry once a new boss enters the picture and such. Bottom line is that it's not your car and yet you naturally get to depend on it as if it was, which will lead to issues for most.

-------

Current Rig

-------

4 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

My company doesn't keeps a clock, for good and ill. So if there's little work I have tons of downtime, don't have to start or end my shift at any specific time, etc. But if someone calls on a weekend, chances are I have to take care of it without extra pay (or any additional pay at all). If I was to get paid overtime I'd agree to it sure but most companies won't do that.

Also the "best" getting a car can be subjective and it would change in a hurry once a new boss enters the picture and such. Bottom line is that it's not your car and yet you naturally get to depend on it as if it was, which will lead to issues for most.

No i have my own car in addition to the company car.  Also if i lose the company car they may as well fire me as I'll just find a different company to work for. That is one of my demands, and part of my contract 

4 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

Better than no car, period.

True but you can probably get your own car on that salary. More over I've found that provided you live in a city, you do get used to not having a car: not paying for gas, car maintenance, car related taxes (which are Notoriously fucking bad in Mexico so this is probably just me) it adds up. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

2 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

True but you can probably get your own car on that salary. More over I've found that provided you live in a city, you do get used to not having a car: not paying for gas, car maintenance, car related taxes (which are Notoriously fucking bad in Mexico so this is probably just me) it adds up. 

Sucks for you people who doesn't have a car mechanic in your immediate family. Unfortunately I cannot relate to your problems 

Sucks for you people who doesn't have a car mechanic in your immediate family. Unfortunately I cannot relate to your problems 

That would be my younger brother, but he's on a different continent at the moment :P

That and few close friends who are enthusiasts luckily with the card manufacturer that you drive helps as well. :P

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

3 minutes ago, Prysin said:

Unrelated.  Is your younger brother named Ben? 

Nope.

42 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

5 years? I have fellow grads making $120K right out of the gate. That's Amazon, FB, and Google, but still...

Although they will be doing at least 90 hour weeks and I know that Amazon can be very trigger happy when it comes to letting people go. So really they aren't earning much more money per hour than somebody getting 55-60k for a 40 hour week.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II