I ran "ip addr".  Now what?

My CPU collection list (link)

Gaming PC:  i5-8400, EVGA GTX 1080 SC, 16GB DDR4, 750W Corsair PSU

Server #1: 2x Xeon E5430s

My rarest CPU: 1x Intel Jaketown Everest @4.4GHz

2 minutes ago, lazyfortress said:

I ran "ip addr".  Now what?

You need internet on the server.

Goolgle sharing network connection and get that to work until you can pijng 8.8.8.8

Ping 8.8.8.8?  What's that?  I already put on shared network

I typed in ping 8.8.8.8 and it said network is unreachable.  I then typed in ping 0, and now it's in a loop.  It's doing this:

1 minute ago, lazyfortress said:

Ping 8.8.8.8?  What's that?  I already put on shared network

You need to google stuff

Can the server access the network?

DSCN0403.JPG

My server's doing that now^

How can I fix it?  Do I shut my server down?

Too late.  I restarted the server.  How do I get it connected to the internet?  I really need your help with this.  I don't know where to even begin.  I don't know what to connect or whatever.

Too late.  I restarted the server.  How do I get it connected to the internet?  I really need your help with this.  I don't know where to even begin.  I don't know what to connect or whatever.

plug anouther laptop into your pc with a ethernet cord and turn off wifi on that system. Can it connect. Make it so that laptop can connect.

My PC only has one ethernet port.

Do you want me to plug in the laptop into the server?

Do you want me to plug in the laptop into the server?

Forget the server, we need need to get connected ethernet cable. Do that before working with the server

So unplug my server's ethernet cable from my gaming PC?

4 minutes ago, lazyfortress said:

So unplug my server's ethernet cable from my gaming PC?

Mke it so you can get a computer to connect to the internet using that cable

Listen, I have only 30 minutes before I have to go.  How long will this take after I get a computer to get connected?  Can't I just configure a router to provide internet access to my server?

Listen, I have only 30 minutes before I have to go.  How long will this take after I get a computer to get connected?  Can't I just configure a router to provide internet access to my server?

your not finishing in 30 min.

You don't seem to be able to router, so you can't configure it.

So if I am able to get the router to work as a wifi range extender, I can then connect that router to my server?  That's what I want to be able to do.

So if I am able to get the router to work as a wifi range extender, I can then connect that router to my server?  That's what I want to be able to do.

yep, do that.

Alright I'm quitting for the day.  I'm way too stressed.  Will you be on tomorrow?  And by the way, I'm serious about that $5 if you can help me.

6 minutes ago, lazyfortress said:

Alright I'm quitting for the day.  I'm way too stressed.  Will you be on tomorrow?  And by the way, I'm serious about that $5 if you can help me.

Should be on later. Bug me.

11 hours ago, .:MARK:. said:

My point is, that telling me you know Java is about as relevant as telling me you can drive a car or 360noscope or something.

And you're not going to get your server working if you don't understand or know how. And the only way to learn how is to research and learn.

You won't learn anything from asking loads of questions here.

Finally someone that gets why i said a few pages earlier that he doesnt need a server and all hes trying to do could have been done with a VM or a raspberry pi to get things started.

Just reading the first few pages of OP makes it clear fr anyone with even very low server knowledge that he is not ready to have a full server sitting there trying to get it working, for the Raspberry Pi he would have atleast been able to google a year of reading material to teach himself how to do things.

This server is gonna collect dust when school starts again or when it gets boring in 2 weeks.

1 hour ago, Pixel5 said:

Finally someone that gets why i said a few pages earlier that he doesnt need a server and all hes trying to do could have been done with a VM or a raspberry pi to get things started.

Just reading the first few pages of OP makes it clear fr anyone with even very low server knowledge that he is not ready to have a full server sitting there trying to get it working, for the Raspberry Pi he would have atleast been able to google a year of reading material to teach himself how to do things.

This server is gonna collect dust when school starts again or when it gets boring in 2 weeks.

I've realised that one fairly early in the conversation. However, if OP is persistent enough, he'll not only pick up the basics of the shell, but also networking, virtualisation etc. Let's cut him some slack.

Also: Most (not all, certainly not all) commands are quite similar over OS'es. Like `ls` and `cd` are (I hope) standard across any modern unix OS. Aswell can you most likely find a nano-like editor on each platform. So telling that op doesn't know squat about the os, doesn't mean he can't research on the matter on the variously abundant websites offering basic how-to's. 

That time I saved Linus' WiFi pass from appearing on YouTube: 

A sudden Linus re-appears : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/390793-important-dailymotion-account-still-active/

37 minutes ago, MrKickkiller said:

I've realised that one fairly early in the conversation. However, if OP is persistent enough, he'll not only pick up the basics of the shell, but also networking, virtualisation etc. Let's cut him some slack.

Also: Most (not all, certainly not all) commands are quite similar over OS'es. Like `ls` and `cd` are (I hope) standard across any modern unix OS. Aswell can you most likely find a nano-like editor on each platform. So telling that op doesn't know squat about the os, doesn't mean he can't research on the matter on the variously abundant websites offering basic how-to's. 

i know that all of this is something you can learn but buying a server with zero knowledge how to even connect it to your network is the wrong approche, he even said he already has a raspberry pi so he could have tinkered around with it all the time and learned the basics to set up a real server later.

Its like "im almost starting to learn how to drive a scooter so i better buy a car already to get things going"

he just learned a few hours ago that servers usually run without a GUI whenever possible, the starting point here is below the absolute basics and before even plugging the server in once he should be reading basic informations for a few weeks to get started.

Its not that i wanna attack someone personally i mean op is 14 he has time to learn this things im just very surprised that people actually start recommending servers to someone who clearly not ready for it.

I was expecting to read a solid "No you should not get a server" from page 2 on latest, after all the forum is supposed to help people with their problem, just sometimes solving the problem means bringing people back to the ground and tell them the hard truth.

I mean we all know that time when you have a stupid idea and you know its stupid but you still want it.

What do you do? you ask people to seek support that your idea is good or that its stupid so you can finally close that chapter without regretting that you scrapped the idea.

Yes, I know that I have no knowledge on servers or networking.  The only things that I want to accomplish with this server are the following:

• Being able to connect it to the internet
  • Be able to use the remote access capabilities of this server
  • Be able to store files on the server remotely (from a different computer wirelessly)
  • Be able to access the server from anywhere in the world

This is all I want to do.  I may shut off the server a few times a week just to conserve energy.  I can assure you all that I will not abandon my server.  I really want to be able to use my server.  Can you guys just please help me?  I mean no harm.  Whoever can help me, I'll pay them $5-$6.  I promise.

• Being able to connect it to the internet
  • Be able to use the remote access capabilities of this server
  • Be able to store files on the server remotely (from a different computer wirelessly)
  • Be able to access the server from anywhere in the world

Lets do this in order

Do you have anoutther laptop or computer you can use for a bit to test the internet connection?

Also can we chat on something like discord, It seems like there is a pretty long delay between sending a message and it getting read on the forum.