Buying A Server, What To Get?

lazyfortress
Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,
4 minutes ago, lazyfortress said:

Ok, I did the whole sharing thing.  Back to the server?  Listen, what I really want to do is to be able to use the DRAC card.  

what do you want to do with the drac? Set the ip, plug it into the port and bom it should work.

I would really like to be able to access my server from another computer.  But in order to get an IP, don't I have to be connected to the internet?  I haven't even accessed the home screen of CentOS

My CPU collection list (link)

Gaming PC:  i5-8400, EVGA GTX 1080 SC, 16GB DDR4, 750W Corsair PSU

Server #1: 2x Xeon E5430s

My rarest CPU: 1x Intel Jaketown Everest @4.4GHz

Just now, lazyfortress said:

I would really like to be able to access my server from another computer.  But in order to get an IP, don't I have to be connected to the internet?  I haven't even accessed the home screen of CentOS

thats not what the drac is for. 

You have already used the home screen of centos. its all text.

I'm so confused.  DRAC us for remote access, right?  As if the server was right in front of you.  CentOS doesn't have a legitimate home screen?  How can I store files on it from another computer?

Just now, lazyfortress said:

I'm so confused.  DRAC us for remote access, right?  As if the server was right in front of you.  CentOS doesn't have a legitimate home screen?  How can I store files on it from another computer?

NFS/CIFS for files

You can install a gui if you want, but no need for one, it only uses ram and adds security holes

My main concern is being able to unplug my server from my gaming PC.  Ok, so hold up.  How can I store files on my server from a different computer?  Can you teach me how?  Doesn't my server have to be connected to wifi in order to do that?

2 minutes ago, lazyfortress said:

I'm learning on here with the help of you all, aren't I?  I really, really, REALLY appreciate you guys taking your time to help me with my server problems.  

Ok, I'm going on the gaming PC...

Very well then, if you wish to learn here:

What is a router?

A router is a device that routes packets between networks, you likely have one that connects your home devices to the internet.

This router usually has a DHCP server. A DHCP server will hand out configuration to the devices on your network, this means it will give the computers an IP address, a subnet mask, a default gateway and some DNS servers to use (it can also provide much more). A DNS server is like a phone book, you ask it for IP addresses associated to domains, like google.com for example, as you will always need an IP to talk to another computer.

A subnet mask usually defines your LAN, it says how big it is (how many computers you can have on it), and along with a gateway, it can tell your computer to send packets to the gateway if it is not destined for another computer in your LAN.

So usually you'll want multiple computers on your LAN, and for this you will use a switch or a WiFi access point.

Connecting a switch to the port on your router that is for the LAN, allows you to connect computers or servers to your LAN.

Once these are properly connected, DHCP will hand out configuration to the computers and you will be able to access the internet and also resolve domains.

And tada, you have network connectivity.

[lazyfortress@localhost ~1$]  <--- This is called a shell prompt, it is likely bash.

This allows you to execute commands and programs. What you can do is limited to what commands exist within bash and the software packages you have installed.

Software packages usually come with a manual, so if you need to know how to do something, you can type "man <insert_command_here>"

Comb it with a brick

I tried that "man <insert_command_here> thing.  It's asking me for what manual page I want.  Whenever I type in man x(x being a number, word, or letter), it says "no manual entry for "x".  How can I make my server accessible to other computers?  How can I be able to connect my server to the internet using one of my spare routers?  I need to connect my spare routers to my home wifi.  I'm making them into range extenders.  I'm plugging them into my server's ethernet port.

Ok, I typed in "man man" and got the whole manual.  It's pretty neat.

6 hours ago, lazyfortress said:

I tried that "man <insert_command_here> thing.  It's asking me for what manual page I want.  Whenever I type in man x(x being a number, word, or letter), it says "no manual entry for "x".  How can I make my server accessible to other computers?  How can I be able to connect my server to the internet using one of my spare routers?  I need to connect my spare routers to my home wifi.  I'm making them into range extenders.  I'm plugging them into my server's ethernet port.

I should really start charging for support

type in "man top" what do you get 

You need to config the routers to use them for that, but that will be a pain if you don't know how to open the config page. 

I just leave it plugged into your desktop, its going to be much faster that way.

Ok, I typed in "man man" and got the whole manual.  It's pretty neat.

nope, thats just the manual for the manual

The man command returns the manual for a specific piece of software, you have to insert the name of the software or command after the "man"

6 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

I should really start charging for support

totally agree

Comb it with a brick

Ok, with the router thing, so when I configure that router to be a range extender via ethernet to my gaming computer, I can unplug it from that computer and place the ethernet into my server?

How much would you charge for an hour of help?  I can do $5-6

The reason why I don't want my server connected to my gaming PC is because I'm not gonna let my gaming PC run 24/7.  I want permanent internet access for my server.  

So listen, the main thing I want to accomplish today is getting my server online, and being able to store a file on it remotely.

1 minute ago, lazyfortress said:

So listen, the main thing I want to accomplish today is getting my server online, and being able to store a file on it remotely.

can you video chat, this might make this a bit faster

I think the first thing you need to do is get that range extender working as some kind of wireless point to point, if that's even possible.

Comb it with a brick

Video chat via facetime?  

And that's what I'm trying to do now.  I'm trying to get my router to work as a range extender.

6 hours ago, .:MARK:. said:

I think the first thing you need to do is get that range extender working as some kind of wireless point to point, if that's even possible.

with ip anything is possiblehttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_over_Avian_Carriers

5 hours ago, lazyfortress said:

Video chat via facetime?  

And that's what I'm trying to do now.  I'm trying to get my router to work as a range extender.

sure PM me

1 minute ago, .:MARK:. said:

schnitzel.team is a teamspeak server I'm almost always on

Comb it with a brick

1 minute ago, .:MARK:. said:

schnitzel.team is a teamspeak server I'm almost always on

video would be nice. Man i wish steam or discord had video sometimes.

My dad told me no video chatting.  So I guess chatting is the only way

Ok, so when I'm trying to configure my router via 192.168.1.1, it gives me my ISP page, which is Verizon.  

My dad told me no video chatting.  So I guess chatting is the only way

oh boy this will take a while.

On the pc go to the network adapter in control(in run control netconnections). Then set the wireless to shared in properties, second tab.

The go to the server and se if you can ping 8.8.8.8

Oh.  I connected my router to my computer.  So I'm gonna unplug my router and plug in my server.  Hold on

Ok, I made my wifi shared.  Now what?

This 1950 isn't as loud as I expected.  It's pretty quiet when running, but louder than my gaming PC.

DSCN0402.JPG

So when I first power up this server, it gives me it's IP address.  Is that supposed to happen?

7 minutes ago, lazyfortress said:

So when I first power up this server, it gives me it's IP address.  Is that supposed to happen?

Did you touch anything?

Pic?

Do you have a laptop to test the wifi to ehternet on your pc.