Ubuntu is getting big... and I do mean big

Guest Gazzer96
Go to solution Solved by lutzee,

I use both Linux and Windows. Thing about linux is most stuff like printers just work, no discs, no calling home.  Now I do use windows for gaming but other than that not sure I will move up to windows 8 or 8.1.  Graphic Card Drivers can sometimes be an issue on linux but recently been a lot better.  This is just my opinion and would like people to know most linux distros are very easy to install and use.  Room for both I suppose.  Won't even get started on the virus issues. :) Currently using Zorin OS7 which is based on Ubuntu, but have tried most distros.

As an arch user, even with a complicated stripped down distro, I feel that things still just work, sometimes I have to fight around with some aspect of one thing but most of the time the fix is already available, and the arch wiki is just the best resource for information.

One other thing, a computer that has windows 8 on it may run into problems trying to install a linux distro due to the secure boot feature on window motherboards, even a dual boot set up.  I find that interesting as Microsoft claims its a security enhancement? This on the most attacked operating system in use today(succesfully I might add), versus linux systems that are pretty much bullet proof when it comes to Viruses. Have a great day!!

Also as a linux user and owner of an ultrabook, BIOSs still provide access to legacy boot mode, but for dualboot you will have to reinstall windows at this point, unless you use a linux distro that has access to integrate with the secureboot system/EFI. Most distros are catching up now, but can be a bit more of a pain to set up.

http://www.ubuntu.com/tablet/

While I was looking through the ubuntu website, I came across this wbepage with a video just showing how big ubuntu is getting. Could it be an android and iOS killer? When linux gets more support, could it be the long waited Windows killer?

I may well be over exaggerating a little, but I got to say they are going strong!

as long as ubuntu can erase terminal usage as  much as possible, maybe ubuntu will get big with decent driver.

I long for the day where windows goes away...I SHALL WATCH IT BURN

This.

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

And bloated.......

Don't get your hopes up for it replacing Windows anytime soon.

Terminal sessions to do simple installs of basic hardware and installing programs.... no thanks... This ain't the 80s and early 90's anymore.

as long as ubuntu can erase terminal usage as  much as possible, maybe ubuntu will get big with decent driver.

Well SteamOS is based on linux, so is Ubuntu, so Uubuntu should get a lot better dirvers as poeple turn to linux. The question is, when it that going to happen?

And there is a way to be less relient on the terminal and this is by downloading Synaptic Package Manager.

Meh.

EDIT: This post made me Elite. Thank you.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

You're definitely exaggerating. For mobiles and tablets it lacks apps, balanced performance and device support, plus why would the average user go to the effort of rooting, unlocking and finally flashing Ubuntu on their device? 'More elegant than Android and more functional than Windows Phone' - nope - nothing beats the functionality of stock Android and Ubuntu is not going to gain any significant usage on devices worldwide within the next year. Saying that it's always good to have software competition, it drives innovation.

Linux will only get big if Google pushes ChromeOS further or Ubuntu starts getting put up as an option instead of Windows on OEM laptops, and both of them lack any incentives that the average user finds attractive. Mac OSX is the closest we'll get to a large portion of 'linux' in the market any time soon, I wish Apple would give more hardware support to get their OS out there further (it's a shit load better than Windows).

That video has SO MANY BUZZWORDS

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

Ubuntu already doesn't rely on the terminal, despite how powerful the terminal is. And contrary to popular belief, it's not actually that complicated.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Idk, I think it will be hard for people to give up the things they've known for years. if they started earlier i think they would have but its been to long and people are too happy with android and iOS. that's partly the reason they haven't taken over windows and iOS,  people like what they know and know what they like and there isn't much reason to go to ubuntu, sure it has nice features but there isn't one thing that it does that no one else can do that is useful to A LOT of people. that's just my opinion of course.

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

As long as it's as open as the desktop environment, this is a tablet I could actually see myself buying.

Hopefully if Google turns fully evil Ubuntu phones and tablets will be around to take over.

Ubuntu already doesn't rely on the terminal

Some things on Ubuntu require the terminal.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

*Sigh* I hate Ubuntu on the desktop its just not that great. It looks good from the interface but I feel as if it just won't make it. personally Android and iOS have way to much of the market for anyone to even try and step in. once I start seeing tablets coming preloaded with ubuntu on them then I will consider using it but until then for get it.

I am usually okay with change but I'd prefer if Windows and Mac OSX didn't go away. I like them both.

OS - Windows 8.1 Motherboard - ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 Processor - AMD FX 8350 Black Edition RAM - 16GB 2x8 Crucial Ballistix Sport Graphics Card - Gigabyte Windforce 2 OC GTX 660 Power Supply - Corsair CX750M CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X60 Wireless Adapter - ASUS PCE-N15 PCI-E Adapter Fans - x3 Masscool blue LED 120mm Fans Case - Fractal Design Define R4

Monitor - Dell S2230MX 21.5-inch Keyboard - Logitech G105 Mouse - Logitech G602 Speakers - Logitech Z130 Headsets/Headphones - Tt eSports Shock, AKG K240, California Headphones Laredo Phone - iPhone 4S

I long for the day where windows goes away...I SHALL WATCH IT BURN

I use Windows, because its so popular and has so much support! but I cannot wait till Ubuntu can just thrive! out of all honesty, Ubuntu is like Mac + Windows for free! (with the epic linux touches) ;)

Personally if people were going to change from windows to linux Ubuntu would be the worst distro, Linux Mint for windows users and Elementary OS for Mac users. But without a lot of help from companies like AMD and nvidia to get driver support on par and game developers to take it seriously linux is going nowhere fast.

I use Windows, because its so popular and has so much support! but I cannot wait till Ubuntu can just thrive! out of all honesty, Ubuntu is like Mac + Windows for free! (with the epic linux touches) ;)

I recently installed ubuntu on my netbook and its just so much lighter compared to win7

Personally if people were going to change from windows to linux Ubuntu would be the worst distro, Linux Mint for windows users and Elementary OS for Mac users. But without a lot of help from companies like AMD and nvidia to get driver support on par and game developers to take it seriously linux is going nowhere fast.

Ill agree with you on linux mint, it's a much more familiar experience for windows users however I'm the most interested to see what level of 'bloat' Steam os has and if there is any external UI other than the steam UI etc

And bloated.......

Don't get your hopes up for it replacing Windows anytime soon.

Terminal sessions to do simple installs of basic hardware and installing programs.... no thanks... This ain't the 80s and early 90's anymore.

It is still the fastest way to install programs, simple, efficient and not bloated, last time I used ubuntu trying to install stuff from the software center gui thing was slow and terrible. 

Then again some people just want everything to be super pretty and fancy. 

Arch Linux on Samsung 840 EVO 120GB: Startup finished in 1.334s (kernel) + 224ms (userspace) = 1.559s | U mad windoze..?

It is still the fastest way to install programs, simple, efficient and not bloated, last time I used ubuntu trying to install stuff from the software center gui thing was slow and terrible. 

So long as you stay within Ubuntu's walled garden.

The software THEY give you, the hardware THEY tell you to use.

Terminal sessions died with DOS.

Seems to be fine for me on 13.10 on terms of speed. What version did you use?

Some things on Ubuntu require the terminal.

Some things on Windows require CMDprompt.

So long as you stay within Ubuntu's walled garden.

The software THEY give you, the hardware THEY tell you to use.

Terminal sessions died with DOS.

Their  store is a walled garden ill give you that but you can use it to install apps that are not on their store as long as you have it in a package 

Terminal didnt die with Dos