Ubuntu is getting big... and I do mean big

Guest Gazzer96
Go to solution Solved by lutzee,

I use both Linux and Windows. Thing about linux is most stuff like printers just work, no discs, no calling home.  Now I do use windows for gaming but other than that not sure I will move up to windows 8 or 8.1.  Graphic Card Drivers can sometimes be an issue on linux but recently been a lot better.  This is just my opinion and would like people to know most linux distros are very easy to install and use.  Room for both I suppose.  Won't even get started on the virus issues. :) Currently using Zorin OS7 which is based on Ubuntu, but have tried most distros.

As an arch user, even with a complicated stripped down distro, I feel that things still just work, sometimes I have to fight around with some aspect of one thing but most of the time the fix is already available, and the arch wiki is just the best resource for information.

One other thing, a computer that has windows 8 on it may run into problems trying to install a linux distro due to the secure boot feature on window motherboards, even a dual boot set up.  I find that interesting as Microsoft claims its a security enhancement? This on the most attacked operating system in use today(succesfully I might add), versus linux systems that are pretty much bullet proof when it comes to Viruses. Have a great day!!

Also as a linux user and owner of an ultrabook, BIOSs still provide access to legacy boot mode, but for dualboot you will have to reinstall windows at this point, unless you use a linux distro that has access to integrate with the secureboot system/EFI. Most distros are catching up now, but can be a bit more of a pain to set up.

Terminal didnt die with Dos 

Ya, it stayed with Linux and the guys who refuse to do waht gates did, gather some people together and make something usable for everyone.

Until then,Linux will remain where it is.

Some things on Windows require CMDprompt.

Yes. What's your point? To say they're both free from using the Terminal(or Command Prompt) is wrong.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Yes. What's your point? To say they're both free from using the Terminal(or Command Prompt) is wrong.

hit the nail right on the head.

So long as you stay within Ubuntu's walled garden.

The software THEY give you, the hardware THEY tell you to use.

Terminal sessions died with DOS.

You seem to be stuck in the ideology that canonical controls all of linux. In fact what governs what hardware works is the hardware vendors who submit kernel modules into the kernel to work with their hardware.

Secondly, its not that hard to get programs into ubuntu repositories, and even then you could just host on launchpad as a ppa.

And finally terminal didn't die with DOS, Windows made changes that brought a simpler system to common people. I don't advocate everyone to work in the terminal for every task they could need to do, but it is still much better for efficiency to use just a keyboard to work on a PC.

Arch Linux on Samsung 840 EVO 120GB: Startup finished in 1.334s (kernel) + 224ms (userspace) = 1.559s | U mad windoze..?

You seem to be stuck in the ideology that canonical controls all of linux.

No, Linux is stuck in the past being written and designed by programmers, for programmers, engineers, IT professionals and scientists.

You shouldn't need an autistic brain to operate a computer, Bill Gates understood that and found people who help him change things.

I want the OS on my Nexus 7 so bad.

My rigs

Spoiler

Desktop CPU: Intel Xeon E5-1680 v2 @ 4.4GHz cooled by a Corsair H105 | Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X79 | RAM: 32GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1600 | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 SC3 Ultra Gaming | SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Crutial M500 240GB + Samsung 840 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM + WB Black 4TB 7200RPM | Case: Fractal Design Meshify C | Mouse: Logitech G402 & MX Master | Keyboard: Poker II  MX Blue & Leopold 10-key pad Box Royals | Monitor: LG 34UB88-P | Audio: Audio-Technica ATH-M50 + FiiO E5 DAC + Rode NT-USB Mini

Laptop Lenovo Yoga 720 4k Touch

I want it now  B)

Rig CPU Intel i5 3570K at 4.2 GHz - MB MSI Z77A-GD55 - RAM Kingston 8GB 1600 mhz - GPU XFX 7870 Double D - Keyboard Logitech G710+

Case Corsair 600T - Storage Intel 330 120GB, WD Blue 1TB - CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 - Displays Dell U2312HM, Asus VS228, Acer AL1715

No, Linux is stuck in the past being written and designed by programmers, for programmers, engineers, IT professionals and scientists.

You shouldn't need an autistic brain to operate a computer, Bill Gates understood that and found people who help him change things.

I recently read a story of someone who left their linux laptop at their aging fathers house, who picked it up and was able to use it with no problems, I seriously do not think that linux is stuck in the past. Yes I personally use a complicated version, but other distros are completely correct for usability. Further more, my lecturer for usability and interface design at my university advocates the use of linux because it scores highest out of all the platforms, he says the interface design of most linux programs are some of the best available, and the documentation for them easily the best. 

Arch Linux on Samsung 840 EVO 120GB: Startup finished in 1.334s (kernel) + 224ms (userspace) = 1.559s | U mad windoze..?

I want the OS on my Nexus 7 so bad.

This could help:

Wiki: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Nexus7/Installation

Just try not to brick your tablet though.

Plus, it is not fully ready yet, so you may want to wait a bit.

This could help:

Wiki: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Nexus7/Installation

Just try not to brick your tablet though.

Plus, it is not fully ready yet, so you may want to wait a bit.

Oh that is cool. I already have it rooted but I will prolly wait until it is finished.

My rigs

Spoiler

Desktop CPU: Intel Xeon E5-1680 v2 @ 4.4GHz cooled by a Corsair H105 | Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X79 | RAM: 32GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1600 | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 SC3 Ultra Gaming | SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Crutial M500 240GB + Samsung 840 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM + WB Black 4TB 7200RPM | Case: Fractal Design Meshify C | Mouse: Logitech G402 & MX Master | Keyboard: Poker II  MX Blue & Leopold 10-key pad Box Royals | Monitor: LG 34UB88-P | Audio: Audio-Technica ATH-M50 + FiiO E5 DAC + Rode NT-USB Mini

Laptop Lenovo Yoga 720 4k Touch

To be true, Terminal is an incredibly powerful tool, and i think it wont ever go

away from linux and it should not.

But for most non tech users you can live without terminal most of the time now days with linux.

Sure some day we might get super GUI terminal that does it all :D

I use both Linux and Windows. Thing about linux is most stuff like printers just work, no discs, no calling home.  Now I do use windows for gaming but other than that not sure I will move up to windows 8 or 8.1.  Graphic Card Drivers can sometimes be an issue on linux but recently been a lot better.  This is just my opinion and would like people to know most linux distros are very easy to install and use.  Room for both I suppose.  Won't even get started on the virus issues. :) Currently using Zorin OS7 which is based on Ubuntu, but have tried most distros.  One other thing, a computer that has windows 8 on it may run into problems trying to install a linux distro due to the secure boot feature on window motherboards, even a dual boot set up.  I find that interesting as Microsoft claims its a security enhancement? This on the most attacked operating system in use today(succesfully I might add), versus linux systems that are pretty much bullet proof when it comes to Viruses. Have a great day!!

I use both Linux and Windows. Thing about linux is most stuff like printers just work, no discs, no calling home.  Now I do use windows for gaming but other than that not sure I will move up to windows 8 or 8.1.  Graphic Card Drivers can sometimes be an issue on linux but recently been a lot better.  This is just my opinion and would like people to know most linux distros are very easy to install and use.  Room for both I suppose.  Won't even get started on the virus issues. :) Currently using Zorin OS7 which is based on Ubuntu, but have tried most distros.

As an arch user, even with a complicated stripped down distro, I feel that things still just work, sometimes I have to fight around with some aspect of one thing but most of the time the fix is already available, and the arch wiki is just the best resource for information.

One other thing, a computer that has windows 8 on it may run into problems trying to install a linux distro due to the secure boot feature on window motherboards, even a dual boot set up.  I find that interesting as Microsoft claims its a security enhancement? This on the most attacked operating system in use today(succesfully I might add), versus linux systems that are pretty much bullet proof when it comes to Viruses. Have a great day!!

Also as a linux user and owner of an ultrabook, BIOSs still provide access to legacy boot mode, but for dualboot you will have to reinstall windows at this point, unless you use a linux distro that has access to integrate with the secureboot system/EFI. Most distros are catching up now, but can be a bit more of a pain to set up.