Sony PS4 bombshell: No MP3, external hard drive or DLNA support

Gunzkewl

The PS4 will not allow gamers to play MP3 files through the console, cannot connect to external hard-drives and will not let users stream media content from a PC, Sony has revealed, much to the anger of prospective buyers. 

In an in-depth Q&A published on the PlayStation Europe blog, the company revealed the bad news, raising serious questions about the device’s merits as a versatile living room media device.

Earlier this year Sony admitted the PS4 won't support audio CDs, so the lack of MP3 support means users will not be able to play their personal collections on the console, unless they’re subscribed to Sony’s own Music Unlimited subscription service. Strangely, there’s no music visualiser built into the console either.

Streaming media content from other devices is a no-go too. Unlike the current PS3, the console also lacks DLNA and media server support, so users won’t be able to share content from their home PC. 

In an even larger bombshell, the PS4 will not support external hard drives either, so users will not be able to expand the built-in 500GB storage or plug in a second drive in order to play content. “No this feature is not supported by PS4,” wrote Sony several times in the Q&A blog.

Source: http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/sony-ps4-bombshell-no-mp3-external-hard-drives-or-dlna-support

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2013/10/30/playstation-4-the-ultimate-faq/#sect8

I understand not support for audio CD's but the lack of MP3 I don't, maybe licensing fees perhaps? 

But I thought Sony said that they would support these already...at least with external HDDs they did.

This is a stupid move. 

COMIC SANS

probably they assumed people will use their xbox ones as media players so...

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Well, I suddenly question my advocacy of getting a PS4 over an XB1. 

Buy a PC instead guys. 

But seriously, this is stupid. I'm getting one anyway, because I refuse to forsake the exclusives that I love, but... ugh. This is just absurd. In so many ways.

If a PS+ account gives me access to all Sony's streaming services bundled into one, that'd be great. I can only hope.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

releasing games that avg 50gb each even more in the future and are getting limited by a 500gb HDD  whit no external support is plain stupid, also no mp3 and cd support feels like going back to the 90's FFS

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Considering that the PlayStation 3 has DLNA support and external HDD support, it almost feels like they're taking a few steps backwards with the PlayStation 4.  I probably will not buy one ever because of this now just out of principle.  There is no reason to take away support for audio CDs either.  Those have been around for years and even though I personally do not buy many audio CDs, there are many people that still prefer the highest quality audio possible.  It feels like Sony is just giving those people the shaft.

My PC specifications are in my profile.

I don't see the issue with this. The PS3 had none of these at launch either, but it does now. Maybe the lack of MP3 support suggests that Sony will use Loss-less audio files, like FLAC?(or some commercial alternative).

Also the lack of DLNA isn't necessarily a bad thing, what if they have developed an optimized in house version?

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

I don't see the issue with this. The PS3 had none of these at launch either, but it does now. Maybe the lack of MP3 support suggests that Sony will use Loss-less audio files, like FLAC?(or some commercial alternative).

Also the lack of DLNA isn't necessarily a bad thing, what if they have developed an optimized in house version?

Which would be insane.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Geforce RTX 3090 FE 

Now I'm waiting for Sony to go down in flames for this one. Ouch. Bad move Sony.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Which would be insane.

But if it would manage 4k efficiently over a network? lets not forget Sony's studios are releasing sudo 4k blu-rays: http://www.ultrahdtv.net/mastered-in-4k/

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

If they would let you use the mirror screen feature or even the throw feature from android, I would be ok.

But if they just want to force people into using their subscription services, that is really not ok.

Mystery is the source of all true science.

you can swap the internal hdd for a 1TB or 2TB hdd :) who needs a External hdd? is 500gb or 2 tb internal not enough?

EOC folding stats - Folding stats - My web folding page stats

Summer Glau: Quote's The future is worth fighting for. Serenity

My linux setup: CPU: I7 2600K @4.5Ghz, MM: Corsair 16GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Radeon his iceq x2 7970, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 750 plus Gold modular

My gaming setup: CPU: I7 3770K @4.7Ghz, MM: Corsair 32GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Gigabyte RX580 8GB, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 860i Platinum modular

MP3 needs to die anyway. I wonder if they support superior codecs like AAC, Vorbis and/or Opus though. I mean, neither Vorbis nor Opus requires any licensing fees so there isn't really any reason not to support them.

It's too bad about the external hard drive and lack of streaming support. Sony was doing so well compared to Microsoft.

But if it would manage 4k efficiently over a network? lets not forget Sony's studios are releasing sudo 4k blu-rays: http://www.ultrahdtv.net/mastered-in-4k/

That's nothing like 4K though. It is just mastered in 4K and then downscaled, compressed and put on a blu-ray disc. The movie itself is just 1080p.

Where has 4K blu-rays got anything to do with DLNA?  :huh:

Read my other comment. DLNA isn't optimized to deliver high pixel quantity over a network without some compression. I stated that Sony could have developed a custom streaming technology akin to DLNA but with lower network overhead, meaning more optimization for streaming 4k movies on connections that don't have a high bandwidth available or really high ping times and latency.

Which would be insane.

Which... that makes sense.

The PS4 is going to essentially be a game streaming server for your house, as it will allow you to stream PS4 games to your Vita over Wifi. 

So, considering that, could it be a music/video streaming server as well? That'd be cool. 

I'll just wait for a Slim version and get that if possible. Only if it is as sexy as the fat one is. :P

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

MP3 needs to die anyway. I wonder if they support superior codecs like AAC, Vorbis and/or Opus though. I mean, neither Vorbis nor Opus requires any licensing fees so there isn't really any reason not to support them.

It's too bad about the external hard drive and lack of streaming support. Sony was doing so well compared to Microsoft.

That's nothing like 4K though. It is just mastered in 4K and then downscaled, compressed and put on a blu-ray disc. The movie itself is just 1080p.

Not completely, it scaled using a custom Sony developed algorithm, meaning it can be re-scaled to sudo 4k, although at some quality degradation. Note that the scaling is done in hardware. I relate it to zipping a file, you compress using an algorithm to save space, and then decompress to return the file to its original state.

Read my other comment. DLNA isn't optimized to deliver high pixel quantity over a network without some compression. I stated that Sony could have developed a custom streaming technology akin to DLNA but with lower network overhead, meaning more optimization for streaming 4k movies on connections that don't have a high bandwidth available or really high ping times and latency.

Maybe but completely omitting it is just a shitty move. 

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Geforce RTX 3090 FE 

so you want to pirate movies in order to stream it with dlna right? that is wat is making you fustrating abbout it :) blu-ray al the way baby! when 4K content is availeble, you will have to need to buy a blu-ray :) but 4K is not ready yet to enter this 1 or 2 years so dont worry abbout that yet.

EOC folding stats - Folding stats - My web folding page stats

Summer Glau: Quote's The future is worth fighting for. Serenity

My linux setup: CPU: I7 2600K @4.5Ghz, MM: Corsair 16GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Radeon his iceq x2 7970, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 750 plus Gold modular

My gaming setup: CPU: I7 3770K @4.7Ghz, MM: Corsair 32GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Gigabyte RX580 8GB, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 860i Platinum modular