CPU UPSIDE DOWN? HELP!!! Annoyed and Concerned

1 minute ago, SLAYR said:

It isn't like people will notice that it is upside down it will have a big metal cooler blocking you from seeing the wrinting on it anyways. 

I considered this but it's not the point. The point is it's pretty freaking scary when you're shelling out thousands for a decent build and they can't even get the print on the lid right.

2 minutes ago, SCANNERMAN777 said:

nm... two different posters with same pic. lol Man, give the noob a hard time, hey?

So long as you didn't have to force the CPU in and all the pins appear striaght then it should work fine. Just dumb Mobo manufacturers on top of Intel getting cocky

CPU: I7 5820K@4.0Ghz | Mobo: ASRock X99 Extreme4 | Ram: 4 x 4Gb G.Skill Tridentz@3200Mhz | GPU: XFX 390x | Cooling: Corsair H115i | PSU: Corsair RMX 850x | Storage: Samsung 250Gb 850 EVO + 2tb Seagate HDD | Case: Inwin 805 | Keyboard: Tesoro Gram Spectrum | Mouse: Tesoro Gram H3L | Mousepad: Corsair MM800 RGB  | OS: Windows 10

On 12/6/2016 at 11:26 AM, Hal_9000 said:

So long as you didn't have to force the CPU in and all the pins appear striaght then it should work fine. Just dumb Mobo manufacturers on top of Intel getting cocky

You probably have something there since I refused to pay more than $800.00 Canadian for my chip and most places wanted more. lol

I suspect it was the stinjee peeps at Intel offering some discount on chips as I paid $699 Canadian for it and I've seen them sell for over a grande.

4 minutes ago, SCANNERMAN777 said:

You probably have something there since I refused to pay more than $800.00 Canadian for my chip and most places wanted more. lol

If there's is a problem with booting I'd call the manufacture of the motherboard and say that the CPU socket was incorrectly marked therefore its a warranty issue on there part. Same with Intel.

CPU: I7 5820K@4.0Ghz | Mobo: ASRock X99 Extreme4 | Ram: 4 x 4Gb G.Skill Tridentz@3200Mhz | GPU: XFX 390x | Cooling: Corsair H115i | PSU: Corsair RMX 850x | Storage: Samsung 250Gb 850 EVO + 2tb Seagate HDD | Case: Inwin 805 | Keyboard: Tesoro Gram Spectrum | Mouse: Tesoro Gram H3L | Mousepad: Corsair MM800 RGB  | OS: Windows 10

Thanks for the advice. Let's hope I don't have to make that phone call.

Personally, i think Intel just got lazy on lidding some of the chips.

55 minutes ago, SCANNERMAN777 said:

HELP PLEASE

Am I panicking??? I lined up cpu triangle with cpu triangle on bracket and cpu triangle on socket of my LGA 2011-3 BOARD (ASUS X99E-WS) and discovered that the writing on the lid of the i76850K chip that I installed was upside down. I'm finding this really scary. Is ASUS in the habit of putting in sockets upside down on their motherboards these days??? Is Intel getting so sloppy they don't care how the print on the lids of their cpus looks? Is yours truly, computer builder of two decades losing it???? I have never seen the writing on the lid of a cpu upside down after installation before. I removed the chip, examined the pins, no apparent damage was done. Re-installed in socket lining up the triangles once again and yup... the print on the lid of the cpu is UPSIDE DOWN. Please help.

Yep mine is turned 90 to the right 

Parts are placed and oriented to allow the best track routing. Pinouts also take this into account, and are quite often dictated by how the part will generally be placed in the rest of the system.

1 hour ago, LabRat said:

I never thought about that until now. I never looked.

Wow, same here.  Never ever gave it another thought.  I only cared about the triangle orientation.

Yes, if the triangles line up then it's fine. As long as the triangles are lined up, writing orientation doesn't matter at all.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

4 hours ago, SCANNERMAN777 said:

I considered this but it's not the point. The point is it's pretty freaking scary when you're shelling out thousands for a decent build and they can't even get the print on the lid right.

Just because your socket is upside down doesn't mean another board is not. Intel cannot predict how a mother board manufacturer will orientate a socket. I would suggest paying attention to the silk screen triangle and the notches on the PCB rather that the printing on the heat spreader. Your negligence, not Intel's.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

4 hours ago, asand1 said:

Just because your socket is upside down doesn't mean another board is not. Intel cannot predict how a mother board manufacturer will orientate a socket. I would suggest paying attention to the silk screen triangle and the notches on the PCB rather that the printing on the heat spreader. Your negligence, not Intel's.

Nothing neglected -- just thorough attention to detail is all. I blame Intel. You blame Asus. Unless the print on every lid on every chip of this design is upside down in this make of motherboard I'm right and you're wrong. Let's see what the cat drags in :D

1 hour ago, SCANNERMAN777 said:

You blame Asus.

Incorrect, I blame you. You should not have been looking at the print on the heat speeader, but rather the triangles and the notches.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

Let's start by making the assumption that Intel never makes a mistake on printing the chip identifying marks on the lid.

The board manufacturer designs the board. They will place the socket on the board in any orientation that makes the most sense design-wise. This means that if the optimal orientation has the corners of the socket (instead of the sides) facing up/down and left/right, that is what they will do.

Sgt. Murphy says, "Never forget that your weapons and equipment were made by the lowest bidder."

21 hours ago, gcubed said:

Let's start by making the assumption that Intel never makes a mistake on printing the chip identifying marks on the lid.

The board manufacturer designs the board. They will place the socket on the board in any orientation that makes the most sense design-wise. This means that if the optimal orientation has the corners of the socket (instead of the sides) facing up/down and left/right, that is what they will do.

I would say that that might be a safe assumption but nonetheless an assumption. Still, I think it would be interesting to gather some intel (no pun intended) on how many people have the same chips upside down and upside right on the same motherboard. I'm not worried though. The board posted.

DSCN2357.JPG

On 12/6/2016 at 9:00 PM, asand1 said:

Incorrect, I blame you. You should not have been looking at the print on the heat speeader, but rather the triangles and the notches.

Wrong again. I looked to make sure all three triangles aligned first. Evidently you did not read the lead post.

It's only a test. I haven't really start to build yet. lol hilarious xD

On 12/6/2016 at 10:00 PM, asand1 said:

scroll up... waaay up... And don't be rusty.

On 12/6/2016 at 10:59 AM, iamdarkyoshi said:

Mines upside down...

Yours is upside down too? What cpu and mobo are you using please.

3 minutes ago, SCANNERMAN777 said:

Yours is upside down too? What cpu and mobo are you using please.

Well, here is one of my old builds with a 3930k and an x79 extreme9 motherboard,

IMG_20150827_193659-min.jpg

Note how the motherboard text is upside down to the cpu

Pretty certain my current build with an ROG IV Gene motherboard was the same way

I just think it's funny after all the builds I've done that I just notice it now. (And here, after all this time, I thought I paid attention to detail). Thank you for the picture. You've been a great help. :)

On 12/6/2016 at 11:25 AM, JohnT said:

Electricity doesn't understand gravity. As long as your computer posts, there is nothing to worry about

But you don't understand... To an HSP in an electric universe EVERYTHING MATTERS! :(

On 12/6/2016 at 11:27 AM, Abyssal Radon said:

Mines a i7 5930K, but the motherboard is the one... the one with the others with a upside down socket.... idiots at EVGA, jk, the motherboard is a fucking beast.

How do you know it's the motherboard's fault? Intel isn't perfect. Perhaps Intel is getting sloppy on chip lidding. Perhaps they've always been sloppy on chip lidding and nobody noticed... until now. :D

On 12/8/2016 at 8:53 AM, 79 Potatoes said:

Delid it and put the lid upside down xD

/jk

xD The thought actually crossed my mind (for about two seconds before I dismissed it). Naaaw it will be my little secret. The cooler will hide it anyway. It it were a Haswell chip I'd be tempted to de-lid though.

im pretty sure its down asus because they are the ones that created the OC Socket which was "reverse engineered" the standard x99 intel socket for better overclocking for lower volts and such things and then every other vendor EVGA, Gigabyte, Asrock and so on copied asus or should i say tried to copy

l i7 5930k | Rampage V Extreme | Corsair H110i GTX | G.Skill Ripjaws 4 16GB DDR4 3000Mhz | EVGA GTX 1070 Superclocked ACX 3.0 | EVGA SuperNova 750w G2 | Samsung 960 Evo 250GB l Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | 1 TB WD Red | Corsair 900D |

Evolution - https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/LbJq9W

CPU-Z Validation - http://valid.x86.fr/3dxmew

1 minute ago, RxL said:

im pretty sure its down asus because they are the ones that created the OC Socket which was "reverse engineered" the standard x99 intel socket for better overclocking for lower volts and such things and then every other vendor EVGA, Gigabyte, Asrock and so on copied asus or should i say tried to copy

That is a very sensible possibility -- not that I would dis EVGA, GIGABYTE, ASROCK (okay, maybe Asrock) and certainly not MSI. Gotta admit, my preference has been ASUS since 2007. I've played with rest and now I've settled for the best. :)

*as an after thought Dell makes good test monitors lol