GTX 1060 and RX 480 retested (spoilers, the red team wins!)

TechGod
7 hours ago, Zeeee said:

LMAAAAAAAAAAAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO SPOTTED THE NVDROID. This is coming from a 1070 user... dude are you actually blind? AMD RAPED THE 1060 loool at a cheaper price point MSRP 250$ 1060 MSRP 230$ rx 480... you do understand that right? 

Never seen an 8GB 480 sell for that price point that wasn't reference and you don't want reference for the 480.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

8 hours ago, Zeeee said:

LMAAAAAAAAAAAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO SPOTTED THE NVDROID. This is coming from a 1070 user... dude are you actually blind? AMD RAPED THE 1060 loool at a cheaper price point MSRP 250$ 1060 MSRP 230$ rx 480... you do understand that right? 

Can you read? He quite clearly said the choice depends on which one is cheaper in the country the GPU is bought.

I would also hardly call the difference here to be significant enough for it to be considered "raping" Nvidia.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

8 hours ago, zMeul said:

wohoo red team wins .. except you completely ignored the conclusion: price of each card

here, the GTX1060 3GB model is cheaper than the RX480 4GB - although I do not recommend the 3GB variant of the 1060 at all

same deal goes for the GTX1060 6GB, it's slightly cheaper (barely) than the RX480 8GB model

and the STEAM HW survey tells the story: GTX1060 is the card that sold http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/

November: GTX1060 stands at 1.53% while RX480 is at 0.37% - more surprisingly, GTX1070 has 1.59%

I'm sorry AMD, you lost - and AMD lost because they did not offer any competition for the GTX1070 and GTX1080

and you know what's sad about AMD's penetration in the market? the HD79xx series, ~5y old cards, have 1.24%

Less fanboyism please, mate.

Also, it's pretty obvious to most that prices differ in each country. And unfortunately, AMD's prices in smaller countries tend to be higher than Nvidia's, hence why more people get Nvidia overall.

And no, AMD has not lost. Their stock prices are up and they're still got more to release. In the form of Zen, and Vega.

Roses are red, Templars wear white. 

Will you take Jerusalem with me tonight?

#BetterRED!

\\ QUIET AUDIO WORKSTATION //

5960X 3.7GHz @ 0.983V / ASUS X99-A USB3.1      

32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 & 2667MHz @ 1.2V

AMD R9 Fury X

256GB SM961 + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo  

Cooler Master Silencio 652S (soon Calyos NSG S0 ^^)              

Noctua NH-D15 / 3x NF-S12A                 

Seasonic PRIME Titanium 750W        

Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum / Logitech G900

2x Samsung S24E650BW 16:10  / Adam A7X / Fractal Axe Fx 2 Mark I

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Xeon X5670 4.2Ghz (200BCLK) @ ~1.38V / Asus P6X58D Premium

12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz

Gainward GTX 1080 Golden Sample

Intel 535 Series 240 GB + San Disk SSD Plus 512GB

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Be Quiet Dark Rock 11 650W

Logitech K830

Xbox One Wireless Controller

Logitech Z623 Speakers/Subwoofer

Windows 10 Pro

50 minutes ago, ApolloFury said:

I would pay extra for that extra VRAM, especially for games made in Frostbite engine, always at the limit.

On my friend's R9 390X 8GB he gets around 5.3GB VRAM in BF1 and Dragon Age Inquisition at 1080p/1440p.

While on my R9 290 I get something like 3950MB which is clear it is being held back.

I was in a similar situation in late 2013 between a GTX 780 3GB or R9 290 4GB. At the time the GTX 780 and R9 290 is quite on par on performance so I asked at Tom Hardware and there is like a version of zMeul there that is very biased for Nvidia graphics cards. Always get the GTX 780 he says, while others with some sense tell me to get the R9 290. Glad I did since that 3GB VRAM will become a burden after a year even though back then everyone is like "You don't need more than 3GB of VRAM for 1080p".

Hell, even back in 2014, while playing Battlefield 4 multiplayer it is already using more than 3GB VRAM at times. Now Battlefield 1 is almost at the limit of the GTX 1060's 6GB too. Yes newer GPUs handle memory compression a bit better, but it can only do so much.

Spend $10-20 more and you have a solid card for atleast 3 years, just skip lunch or dinner for one day.

Had the same issue when I was looking for a GPU for my current rig... Everyone was like buy a 1060 or get a 4 gb 480. Like what's gonna when I play games that go over their vram limits (GTA V for example) I would of cried with those fps dips.

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

2 hours ago, Prysin said:

Nvidia too is able to deliver far more than they do. Same with intel. Doesn't matter which one you choose,  you're getting shafted either way. All that matters is what can you get,  how good is it,  and is there room for improvement without large investments on your behalf 

Absolutely agreed on that: which is why AMD needs lots of tough love imho. I want my next rig to be Zen in fact I'm holding up on buying a 6700k just to see if Zen ends up being a decent proposition. I don't expect it to be just like I don't expect Vega to be anywhere near the 1080ti but we'll see.

-------

Current Rig

-------

2 hours ago, Sreno1 said:

By the time most games utilize DX12, both the 1060 and 480 will be obsolete.

Right now they perform similarly, and it really should come down to the price and the quality of the aftermarket cooler you get (so you can overclock).

Truth to power right here folks.

-------

Current Rig

-------

2 hours ago, ApolloFury said:

I would pay extra for that extra VRAM, especially for games made in Frostbite engine, always at the limit.

On my friend's R9 390X 8GB he gets around 5.3GB VRAM in BF1 and Dragon Age Inquisition at 1080p/1440p.

While on my R9 290 I get something like 3950MB which is clear it is being held back.

I was in a similar situation in late 2013 between a GTX 780 3GB or R9 290 4GB. At the time the GTX 780 and R9 290 is quite on par on performance so I asked at Tom Hardware and there is like a version of zMeul there that is very biased for Nvidia graphics cards. Always get the GTX 780 he says, while others with some sense tell me to get the R9 290. Glad I did since that 3GB VRAM will become a burden after a year even though back then everyone is like "You don't need more than 3GB of VRAM for 1080p".

Hell, even back in 2014, while playing Battlefield 4 multiplayer it is already using more than 3GB VRAM at times. Now Battlefield 1 is almost at the limit of the GTX 1060's 6GB too. Yes newer GPUs handle memory compression a bit better, but it can only do so much.

Spend $10-20 more and you have a solid card for atleast 3 years, just skip lunch or dinner for one day.

Using more VRAM != actually needing more. Since his 390X has that VRAM, it'll store more data and shit in VRAM. Most Frostbite games at ultra don't need more than like 3.25GB to properly max out.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

3 hours ago, N3v3r3nding_N3wb said:

Are you saying that AMD is selling less cards at the place where they're competing is because they aren't competing at the higher end?  You could make the argument that AMD has a less premium feel because they have no high-end cards right not, but that's always been the case. Nvidia has pretty much always been seen as the better product by anyone who doesn't research due to Nvidia's good marketing and AMD's inept marketing. That doesn't mean that AMD lost, per se -- definitely in sales, but they showed that they can still compete and beat Nvidia, even if only at the low end (for now, at least -- fingers crossed for Vega).

for few couple of  years now AMD's card showed better price/perf in the low and mid sector

HD79xx vs GTX7xx, R9 2xx R9 3xx vs GTX9xx and so on - and still nVidia outsold them

look at the top of the list , what card is that? well of course it's the GTX970

---

and yes, look at the % people who still hold their old video cards:

• HD79xx -1.24%
  • HD77xx - 1.13%
  • HD88xx - 1.10%
  • HD78xx - 0.91%

why do you think that is? it's because RX480 is not a valid performance upgrade to them

3 minutes ago, zMeul said:

for few couple of  years now AMD's card showed better price/perf in the low and mid sector

HD79xx vs GTX7xx, R9 2xx R9 3xx vs GTX9xx and so on - and still nVidia outsold them

look at the top of the list , what card is that? well of course it's the GTX970

---

and yes, look at the % people who still hold their old video cards:

• HD79xx -1.24%
  • HD77xx - 1.13%
  • HD88xx - 1.10%
  • HD78xx - 0.91%

why do you think that is? it's because RX480 is not a valid performance upgrade to them

have you thought that maybe because those cards were improving performance years later people dont fell the need to upgrade, most people hold their hardware longer than you may think, hell i only upgraded from a gtx 660 2 months ago.

most people care about playing the game no matter at what settings.

2 hours ago, MograineLefay said:

Less fanboyism please, mate.

Also, it's pretty obvious to most that prices differ in each country. And unfortunately, AMD's prices in smaller countries tend to be higher than Nvidia's, hence why more people get Nvidia overall.

And no, AMD has not lost. Their stock prices are up and they're still got more to release. In the form of Zen, and Vega.

fanboyism of what? hating AMD because of their recurring stupidity? that I am guilty of

anything else, I'm not a fanboy of

I've been telling it for a very long time

AMD is guilty of:

• battered wife syndrome
  • being the cheaper alternative

AMD should:

• stop opening their mouths with every chance they get
  • compete in every sector of the market, not just the low and mid range
  • price the cards accordingly, stop trying to undercut nVIdia's prices

i wonder what happen if you remove Hitman and put Watch Dogs 2 instead...what happen to those averages?! :)

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

4 minutes ago, zMeul said:

fanboyism of what? hating AMD because of their recurring stupidity? that I am guilty of

anything else, I'm not a fanboy of

I've been telling it for a very long time

AMD is guilty of:

• battered wife syndrome
  • being the cheaper alternative

AMD should:

• stop opening their mouths with every chance they get
  • compete in every sector of the market, not just the low and mid range
  • price the cards accordingly, stop trying to undercut nVIdia's prices

making a gpu is expensive and they don't have much money, if they don't have a card at that price is probably because, 1 it was too expensive and they couldn't afford it, 2 it wouldn't  profit enough 

5 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

making a gpu is expensive and they don't have much money, if they don't have a card at that price is probably because, 1 it was too expensive and they couldn't afford it, 2 it wouldn't  profit enough 

Lol I guess common sense isn't as common as you think... why compete in the high end if you're gonna bleed money from the lack of sales. Nvidia isn't bleeding money so they can put out what they want (3 gb 1060) and you know hat people will buy them regardless of whether it performs better or worse than AMD's solution at that price point.

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

5 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

battered wife syndrome right there

STEAM HW survey

have you actually looked at the survey data? GTX1070 has higher % share than GTX1060 .. amazing, isn't it

that's why nVIdia is making huge profits and AMD just goes by just enough to keep the lights on

7 minutes ago, zMeul said:

STEAM HW survey

have you actually looked at the survey data? GTX1070 has higher % share than GTX1060 .. amazing, isn't it

that's why nVIdia is making huge profits and AMD just goes by just enough to keep the lights on

you are only seeing one side, if nvidea is the only one selling cards at that price it means 1070s are the whole share witch as of right now is 1.53,

the market for 1060(1.47)/rx480s(0.35) is bigger at 1.82. and they wanted to go back to the laptop market, and for that a 1070 class card wouldn't do probably.

2 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

you are only seeing one side, if nvidea is the only one selling cards at that price it means 1070s are the whole share witch as of right now is 1.53,

the market for 1060(1.47)/rx480s(0.35) is bigger at 1.82. and they wanted to go back to the laptop market, and for that a 1070 class card wouldn't do probably.

I'm a long time lurker of LTT, and noticed zMeul has been shilling Intel/Nvidia and raging on AMD for over 2 years. May as well use the ignore user function on him.

18 minutes ago, zMeul said:

STEAM HW survey

This is very true I keep saying this: AMD can't get by with just being the "cheap alternative" because they will always be perceived as cheap because of it.

It's why you sell the luxury, high performance items, the "sport cars" that are completely impractical. If you just sell cheap products you'll never get over the reputation of being the "off brand" company.

It isn't just about what makes the more sense for the same reason most people don't actually go home with a car full of Walmart branded produce even though it's comparable and cheaper, people want higher quality stuff and brand recognition counts.

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 minute ago, Misanthrope said:

This is very true I keep saying this: AMD can't get by with just being the "cheap alternative" because they will always be perceived as cheap because of it.

It's why you sell the luxury, high performance items, the "sport cars" that are completely impractical. If you just sell cheap products you'll never get over the reputation of being the "off brand" company.

It isn't just about what makes the more sense for the same reason most people don't actually go home with a car full of Walmart branded produce even though it's comparable and cheaper, people want higher quality stuff and brand recognition counts.

Amd had the faster/ better card in the past and it didn't help, nvidea still sold more (gtx 260) 

3 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

They should have sold the Radeon Pro Duo (or whatever that R9 FURY X2 was called) to the public (non of that "VR developer" thing) as a premium option, that would have helped. 

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

1 minute ago, cj09beira said:

Amd had the faster/ better card in the past and it didn't help, nvidea still sold more (gtx 260) 

Mainly due to marketing being bad for AMD, unfortunately. Also, fanboyism.

3 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

Completely misses the point of what I said: AMD has been marketing themselves all wrong it. Yes they had the upper hand in some instances but they haven't really being anything like ATI was back in the day: a true contender not just the "save some money" company as they are perceived to be.

-------

Current Rig

-------