Alienware 13 OLED Review

6 hours ago, nicklmg said:

There is one at 3:37/3:38

Thank you, I didn't see it, almost feinted.

Why does Linus say "taipei" @ 1:35 ? xD

Is there a 2nd dennis in the office we don't know about? O_O

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

7 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

Why does Linus say "taipei" @ 1:35 ? xD

Is there a 2nd dennis in the office we don't know about? O_O

I think the same thing, every time he says "Type-A" I hear Taipei.

YOU know what annoys me? The fact that the Alienware Alpha still uses 9 series GPU in most of the models.

Since I am to lazy to put something interesting here, I will put everything, but slightly abbreviated. Here is everything:

also, some questions to make you wonder about life:

What is I and who is me? Who is you? Which armrest in the movie theatre is yours?

also,

Welcome to the internet, I will be your guide. Or something.

My build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-7400 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor,

Motherboard: ASRock B250M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard, 

Memory: Corsair 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory,

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive, 

Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 480 4GB ARMOR OC Video Card, 

Case: Corsair 100R ATX Mid Tower Case , 

Power Supply: Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply, 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full, 

Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN725N USB 2.0 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter, Case Fan: Corsair Air Series White 2 pack 52.2 CFM  120mm Fan

ou do not ask why, you ask why not -me

Remeber kinds, the only differ between screwing around and scince is writing it down. -Adam Savage.

Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not even sure of the former. - Albert Einstein.

4 hours ago, tsk said:

Thank you, I didn't see it, almost feinted.

Sorry to hear that :( we'll try to make it more noticeable next time!

1 hour ago, King_of_Oz said:

YOU know what annoys me? The fact that the Alienware Alpha still uses 9 series GPU in most of the models.

They like lower end laptops are probably waiting for the 1050/ 1050 Ti to come out for mobile.

4 hours ago, King_of_Oz said:

You think that's bad? Try apple's desktop lineup.

Slight audio transition fail @ 6:29. Yes i noticed :)

Kudo's for the separate mouse buttons, can't state enough how I approve of that.

Also can I have a second of silence for yet another new laptop with a shitty webcam. Maybe I should save a template for my forum response on this sort of laptop reviews

"I really liked X.... too bad that they don't include a decent webcam and/or mic"

as progress on that front seems non-existent for the last years.

13-inch laptops aren't for me because I like my separate numpad, but other then that this laptop seems pretty nice :D

Also, solid review Linus, keep it up! B|

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

Anyone know how big the power adapter is compared to razer's?

On 12/5/2016 at 6:59 PM, Bouzoo said:

Still waiting for Clevo and other rebadges to use 1440p OLED. Give em that and they're perfect.  

Also is it possible to produce a matte OLED display? Noticed this one had the annoying glossy screen. 

I will NEVER buy another gloss laptop for working on, and especially for gaming. Currently use 2 dell previsions. Matte. TN, but good TN. Couldn't be happier with the screens really. I can read text and not see my face. God I remember cranking up in game brightness to shit levels on my m18xr1 if the room had too many lights. Photoshop in a lit room was out of the question. Hell with some glossy screens, like iMacs, even in a dark room, your face reflects light and if you're white your face looks like a moon on the screen

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

1 hour ago, Syntaxvgm said:

I will NEVER buy another gloss laptop for working on, and especially for gaming. Currently use 2 dell previsions. Matte. TN, but good TN. Couldn't be happier with the screens really. I can read text and not see my face. God I remember cranking up in game brightness to shit levels on my m18xr1 if the room had too many lights. Photoshop in a lit room was out of the question. Hell with some glossy screens, like iMacs, even in a dark room, your face reflects light and if you're white your face looks like a moon on the screen

Every single one of my "screens" is matte (except TV). I even have the anti glare screen protector for my phone. After going matte once, I could never go back. 

The iMac thing is pretty interesting that you have pointed out. You are the first one on the forum that I've seen to do so. Apple does brand them sort of as "designer computers", with a glossy screen, and I seriously can not see how someone can brand something as designer when it has a glossy screen. My brother-in-law, who is a designer, had an old iMac, it was the last gen before Intel i CPUs came out, and my god was that screen horrible in some aspects. Few of my friends are graphics designers as well, every single one rocking a Dell U series (interestingly), few of them swore never to go back on iMac again due to screen. My brother-in-laws screen even got lines on it, something like burn ins (proper term?), like the sun was directly hitting the screen, and it was always in a room, away from window or anything that might damage it. And the glossiness was "Jesus Christ please shoot me". A friend of mine bought the new 5K, but I never had the time to go and see it for myself. I am pretty sure it's still (almost) the same story. But he needs it for the resolution (book publisher, needs it for font, um, development?).

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

32 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

Every single one of my "screens" is matte (except TV). I even have the anti glare screen protector for my phone. After going matte once, I could never go back. 

The iMac thing is pretty interesting that you have pointed out. You are the first one on the forum that I've seen to do so. Apple does brand them sort of as "designer computers", with a glossy screen, and I seriously can not see how someone can brand something as designer when it has a glossy screen. My brother-in-law, who is a designer, had an old iMac, it was the last gen before Intel i CPUs came out, and my god was that screen horrible in some aspects. Few of my friends are graphics designers as well, every single one rocking a Dell U series (interestingly), few of them swore never to go back on iMac again due to screen. My brother-in-laws screen even got lines on it, something like burn ins (proper term?), like the sun was directly hitting the screen, and it was always in a room, away from window or anything that might damage it. And the glossiness was "Jesus Christ please shoot me". A friend of mine bought the new 5K, but I never had the time to go and see it for myself. I am pretty sure it's still (almost) the same story. But he needs it for the resolution (book publisher, needs it for font, um, development?).

well 'designers' have been begging apple for a matte option for years even since the 2560x1600 matte 30 inch cinema display that came out in 04 (12 years ago!) hooked resolution junkies. Apple won't do it because it doesn't look as pretty on a showroom floor or to people that don't know about screens. And I doubt they ever will as these days they hardly do anything with professionals in mind.

even your phone lol I don't go THAT far, it seems like on a screen that pixel dense it might be blurry? 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

22 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

even your phone lol I don't go THAT far, it seems like on a screen that pixel dense it might be blurry? 

For me it's actually fine, you might notice a difference, but after you get used to it, it is absolutely perfect. And I am always on the go, public transport and stuff, and I often watch movies/series on the phone, and the reflections were literally killing me, so I went with matte protector. Most people don't like it, but I prefer it. Well everyday use in the sun is for me better with it. I'm still on my LG G2. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

19 hours ago, harrisonjr98 said:

You think that's bad? Try apple's desktop lineup.

Plz don't get me started. I can rant all day if you want.

Since I am to lazy to put something interesting here, I will put everything, but slightly abbreviated. Here is everything:

also, some questions to make you wonder about life:

What is I and who is me? Who is you? Which armrest in the movie theatre is yours?

also,

Welcome to the internet, I will be your guide. Or something.

My build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-7400 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor,

Motherboard: ASRock B250M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard, 

Memory: Corsair 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory,

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive, 

Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 480 4GB ARMOR OC Video Card, 

Case: Corsair 100R ATX Mid Tower Case , 

Power Supply: Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply, 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full, 

Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN725N USB 2.0 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter, Case Fan: Corsair Air Series White 2 pack 52.2 CFM  120mm Fan

ou do not ask why, you ask why not -me

Remeber kinds, the only differ between screwing around and scince is writing it down. -Adam Savage.

Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not even sure of the former. - Albert Einstein.

If they made a cheaper model, with a lower resolution screen, maybe not as many horses under the hood, they could have the ultimate emulator laptop. 

At around 25ms response time they have a display that's can refresh almost 3 times in the time spam of a frame, assuming 60FPS, this means that it would be basically impossible to notice any delay in, say, an NES, ad some 5-10ms because of the processing on an emulator, so basically still not "perfect" but this thing is basically elimiating the display lag completely from the equation. 

People talk about "over-priced" when they wear that $189.99 Columbia coat, or the $79.99 UnderArmor sweater when Walmart has coats for $30 and sweaters for $15. It's just a brand. Alienware started as a pre-built PC and still operates the same way. Yes, it's cheaper to build your own computer. It's cheaper to eat ramen noodles for diner too, but no, sometimes the women wants a fancy diner that costs you $50 for that one meal. We live in a world to work for money, to buy shit we don't need. In the end, we don't "need to game" on a PC, or even on a console. Candyland is a cheap form of entertainment too, as is a deck of playing cards. Go tell someone their overpaying for that hotel room, when there's an unoccupied underpass just down the block. Tell me I over paid for my Alienware computer, that's fine. But we over-pay for everything in life, because that's all we are. Consumers.