Is it worth it to get a K CPU even if i don´t plan of overclocking ?

KeFy
Go to solution Solved by it_dont_work,

The k versions of both the 6700 and 6600 do have higher base clock and better performance than the non k variants.

is the extra performance out of the box worth it or not, on the i7 probably since the base clock advantage is 500mhz, with a higher boost. Not so sure the 6600k is really worth the extra 200mhz base.

The k versions of both the 6700 and 6600 do have higher base clock and better performance than the non k variants.

is the extra performance out of the box worth it or not, on the i7 probably since the base clock advantage is 500mhz, with a higher boost. Not so sure the 6600k is really worth the extra 200mhz base.

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

6 minutes ago, it_dont_work said:

in the case of the 6600k nope definitely not work paying for a 200mhz boost would be better to get a 6700 at that point.

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

6700k yes. Its alot faster even without further OC.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

22 minutes ago, KeFy said:

^

If they are old and you want to resell them, then the k variants sell for almost double of what you get for the non k version

20 minutes ago, KeFy said:

^

Moved to CPUs, Motherboards, and Memory, also try to avoid "see title" threads, giving small details of what you're using your PC for would result in better answers

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

1 hour ago, KeFy said:

^

It is in fact, worth it, in my opinion for 2 reasons :

- Higher base clock ( even if few it is still higher )

- Better RESALE value.

If you want to sale it in 3 years per exemple, sellin a K cpu instead of a non-k is way more ez..

If you buy a k cpu and z mobo then it's definitely easy to OC to a moderate amount, like 4.5Ghz for sure. So it's a choice of 3.5Ghz non k chip/mobo etc or approx $30 more for k cpu, $20-40 for z mobo and a cooler, approx $30 for a half decent cooler... so about $100 approx (very rough estimate) for around 1Ghz more clock speed. It's up to you whether that's worth it or not, and depends on what you are using it for.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini