Black Friday set a record as the first $1 billion mobile shopping day in U.S. history

Online shopping is now one of the most common ways for consumers to buy and sell products, and some of those transactions are done on mobile devices

Well, Black Friday 2016 just set the record of becoming the first time mobile shoppers spent a total of $1.2 billion 

Online shoppers in the U.S. made $1.2 billion of purchases via their phones and tablets on Black Friday, marking the first billion-dollar mobile shopping day in U.S. history, according to estimates from Adobe. The estimate marks a 33 percent increase over last year’s mobile sales total for the day.

Overall, Adobe predicts that total online sales reached $3.34 billion on the huge discount shopping day, on which retailers are increasingly running the same discounts online as they do in their stores.

Large retailers who have invested heavily in their mobile websites and apps are seeing big gains this holiday season. At Fanatics, an online retailer of licensed team sports apparel, 56 percent of Thanksgiving day sales happened on mobile — 42 percent via phones and 14 percent via tablets. 

It's honestly not a surprise to see more and more people using their mobile devices in purchasing products online

It has become increasingly safer and more convenient because of payment systems such as PayPal 

Source: Recode

1 minute ago, DatSpeed said:

It's honestly not a surprise to see more and more people using their mobile devices in purchasing products online

It has become increasingly safer and more convenient because of payment systems such as PayPal 

But that helps all e-purchases equally, rather than mobile in particular. And the way I shop online, it would be very uncomfortable to do it with a cell phone instead of a computer. Not that it would apply to everyone, though - I guess for impulsive purchases they are as good as any other method,

Yay, being lazy is the future!

(as a retail employee, thank god)

E: On a more serious note, it's good to see shopping becoming so much more accessible, especially for those who otherwise wouldn't be available to, for example, the low-income households that work retail on said day.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

1 minute ago, valdyrgramr said:

No, you can't help me!  I'm shopping your store for an Amazon exclusive product!

Why yes, we carry that item. If you lift your head slightly higher and view 5 feet in front of you, you'll find the product you're looking for!

Just now, valdyrgramr said:

I'm suing for false advertising!

You need to price match the item because the tag was incorrect! (they looked at the tag for the item 6 feet away from the item they're purchasing)

im not surprised. Mobile shopping has picked up a lot lately -- honestly for a lot of things I don't want to go the store for anymore.. rather just wait a couple days or even a week if it means I get it for a bit cheaper. Though im not a very "now" person so there is that...

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Well would you rather wait in line out in the freezing cold and try to buy something that you most likely won't get to in time or sit in the warmth of your own home and shop at your leisure? Black Friday doorbusters aren't even all that great anymore, so there is no reason not to just stay home and buy stuff on your phone/online.

I got quite a bit on mobile this year.  I had to work unfortunately, both Thanksgiving and Friday so it was really my only chance to get some stuff ordered. Also Newegg had 5% off mobile purchases 

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

There's a reason why everyone is trying to get into the mobile payment system. 

I've never felt comfortable with buying things on my phone. I much prefer doing it at my desktop. It makes me feel like I have way more control and knowledge about what I am actually buying, and won't end up buying something I will later regret.

It's only a matter of time before the online shopping sales tax is passed, governments won't like this lost revenue. 33% of US state and local revenue is from sales tax, 242 billion dollars.

State tax revenue

State tax revenue %

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

2 hours ago, CommandMan7 said:

It's only a matter of time before the online shopping sales tax is passed, governments won't like this lost revenue. 33% of US state and local revenue is from sales tax, 242 billion dollars.

State tax revenue

State tax revenue %

Enter VAT (sort of). 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

20 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

No, you can't help me!  I'm shopping your store for an Amazon exclusive product!

Fucking fire sticks. Swear to god.

Alibaba had a peak lately where they sold stuff for 1 billion during 5 minutes. So I think this number it not that impressive, even if it's only sales from phones and tablets....

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

22 hours ago, CommandMan7 said:

State tax revenue

State tax revenue %

Most states in the U.S have already passed that sort of legislation.

Although i've noticed some vendors don't always charge it, but the big ones do. 

On 11/26/2016 at 11:18 PM, DatSpeed said:

Not only because of PayPal, but because you don't have to endure the retards who will trample you for 15% off of a shitty television, or worry about someone keying or hitting your car because "you stole their parking spot".

No phone shopping for me. I do it in person or on my pc and only for thing I know I want ahead of time.. no impulse purchases for me. ;)  

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER